The Big 2011/2012 Mod thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on The Big 2011/2012 Mod thread within the Tutorials & DIY forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have decided to contribute to my useless existence on the forum by compiling some of the stuff I found ...

I Support ClubWRX

The Big 2011/2012 Mod thread

I have decided to contribute to my useless existence on the forum by compiling some of the stuff I found out there,including from other forums,that might me helpful to the many new 2011 & 2012 owners/members of the forum.

You can find almost anything about mods on this famous thread from another forum.Thank you Mr. Unabomber http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ight=manifesto

For anybody who needs the service manual (thank you Mangostick) http://www.daviswoody.com/2009Subaru...viceManual.pdf

Some common questions that already have threads

Mileage thread What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX?

Please feel free to contribute.

***Disclaimer:I am not responsible for anything you break on your car or any warranty claim denials
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 12-10-2011 at 06:21 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Most owners start out with a tint.You can find the legal tint laws for your state here

http://www.tintlaws.com/

Some do a clear bra.This is done preferably by a qualified installer as it is not an easy job.There are different kits & the price depends on how much of the car you want to cover.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 06-29-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    the other popular mod is the short shifter & bushings.There are various types of shifters available on the market.You can also get a SPT short shifter installed by the dealer(the SPT shifter comes with the linkages).Another popular brand is kartboy.

It is advisable to change the bushings along with the shifter to improve overall shifting feel.

The entire kit with the kartboy shifter can be found here TiC 08 Impreza Super Shifter Set

It is a pretty straight forward install.

Written installations

http://www.twmperformance.com/manual...all-manual.pdf

Not included in the video is the install of the linkage bushings.

The instructions for the bushing install can be found on this sticky by EJ257.(Thank you Matt).The install instructions are for earlier models but they are the same for all 08+ as well.Also all bushing install can be found on this same sticky.

Driveline Mounts/Bushings FAQ

This is a diagram of what you will be installing

A: Shift Linkage Bushings
    B: Short Throw Shifter
    C: Pivot Bushings
    D: Front Shifter Stay Bushing
    E: Rear Shifter Stay Bushing

Thank you sjcurtis & BlueAngelWrx for the video.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 09-23-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Another popular mod that brings about a love hate response is the Rally Armor mudflap.There is a less expensive variant also available called the Flapatax Mudflaps

When you order the Rally Armor mudflaps be specific about your model year & whether it is a hatch/sedan as the mounting hardware is different.

Included is a video of the install .The video is for a sedan.The instructions are the same for the front of a sedan/hatch but is different when it comes to the rear.

Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-26-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    your call but there won't be many engine mods included,its mainly for newbies
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    The footwell illumination kit is another simple mod.You can order the kit from an Subaru dealer or anywhere online.

The install instructions can be found here Subaru footwell illumination kit

Install pdf http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/502...C000275703.pdf
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-26-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    A simple mod which helps hold the subframe in place during acceleration or cornereing is adding bushings designed by
    Kartboy
    2008 Rear subframe bushings

or

Whiteline
    2008 Impreza rear subframe inserts

Install instructions How To: Kartboy 08 rear subframe bushings - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-26-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    A way to seriously enhance your vehicle's cornering ability & to reduce body roll would be to change the factory sway bars to after market ones.There are many makes on the market including Whiteline,Perrin,Eibach,etc.

Install instructions for the whiteline swaybars
    Video

Pictorial instructions for Rear sway bar

DSCN1841_e.jpg
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-26-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Along with the swaybars you can add aftermarket solid endlinks as the factory endlinks are not strong enough for forces that will be exerted by the aftermarket sways.Again endlinks come for different makers,the same that make the swaybars.You can mix & match the sways & endlinks.

Endlink install instructions.

http://peatpics.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=104973

Torque specs for the rear suspension

Something that I noted when installing whiteline sways & kartboy endlinks was that the spacers supplied with the endlinks were not enough to hold them perpendicular,so I had to order a separate set of spacers

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Kart...waybar-Spacers

You can also alternatively use washers from your local hardware store.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-23-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Another DIY that I found from another forum was Angel Eyes for the 2008+ wrx/sti

How To: DIY Angel Eyes 2008 WRX/STi - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-26-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Great idea for a thread IMO.

Perhaps for the Everyday Impreza Talk?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    A popular mod for all WRX/STIs is the Hella Horn install.

For this you will have to remove the front bumper.Not a big deal,takes just a couple of minutes

Written instructions with pics

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-inst...r-removal.html

Video of bumper & grill removal

the simplest wiring diagram I found

You can use the bracket supplied with the horn or if you want them to stick out more & be more visible you can get a bracket http://www.subimods.com/subimods-com...s-bracket.html

I just got a steel bracket from Home Depot & painted it black.You can just screw the bolt into the hole on the right,but you will have to use a bolt with nut on the left(be extremely careful & use some guard if you tap the hole so as to not put a hole in the ac condenser)

You can also make a custom harness or order one from http://www.subimods.com/subimods-hel...rness-kit.html

It is advisable to solder all your connections,heat shrink your butt connectors & apply dielectric grease.See that the fuse is as close to the (+) of the battery as possible.And please DO NOT HAVE SOMEONE HONK THE HORN TO TEST IT WHILE YOU ARE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE CAR.118db is loud.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 02-03-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX

COBB AP for 2011 WRX http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=5611

COBB AP for 2011 STI http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=5240

Review of the Cobb Accessport by ScoobyDoo12(thank you)

2011 STI Review of COBB AccessPORT on Stage 1

Review of the Cobb SF Intake by ScoobyDoo12

2011 Sedan COBB Tuning SF Intake, Airbox, & Stage 1+SF Tune Review (Pics & Vids)

Video of the Cobb SF intake on a 2011 STI

on a 2011 wrx

from one of our members,thanks mike

Last edited by rage-wrx; 10-22-2011 at 10:10 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want to do an HID retrofit for your base or premium you can either get it done professionally by HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net

or DIY(you may have to download the file to view it) https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...ZDlmNjk2&hl=en
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 07-26-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Another mod for the wrx is to paint the side engraving.The results & pics can be found in this thread

Red lettering on WRX / STI engraving on side panel

And somebody actually added lights to that emblem.Don't ask me how but here is what it looks like

Last edited by rage-wrx; 06-29-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast