Driveline Mounts/Bushings FAQ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Driveline Mounts/Bushings FAQ within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This write-up will cover driveline mounts/bushings, which aren't the most popular modifications. I have said multiple times that driveline modifications ...

I Support ClubWRX

Driveline Mounts/Bushings FAQ

This write-up will cover driveline mounts/bushings, which aren't the most popular modifications. I have said multiple times that driveline modifications are some of my favorite modifications. While engine and suspension modifications may be a bit more flashy and exciting, the benefits are not always seen on a day-to-day basis. With driveline modifications, however, they are. Another selling point about driveline modifications is that they are generally some of the least expensive modifications you can buy.

Driveline mounts/bushings are installed to provide the driver with improved feel/response from the engine, driveline, and steering components.

Shifter Modifications

The most popular driveline modification is the short-throw shifter. Subaru offers a factory option short-throw shifter (10% reduction in throw) that includes an upgraded shift linkage. Short-throw levers (10-40% reduction in throw) seem to be more popular, and are quite a bit cheaper.
    Install directions

Shifter bushings (front and rear) are another popular modification to the shifter. These hardened bushings will reduce the bland feeling you get with the OEM bushings. Replacement of these bushings will improve both the feel/function of the shifter, allowing for smooth, crisp shifts. These are an improvement whether you've upgraded the shifter or not, and if you were to choose between the shifter or the bushings (permanently or temporarily), I would say the bushings are more important.
    Install directions

Pivot bushings go in the shifter lever pivot point. These bushings also are a great modification, providing "a more solid and connected feeling to the lever" (quoted from TiC's website).
    Install directions

Shift linkage bushings go in the U-joint between the shifter linkage arm and the transmission control arm. These bushings provide a huge reduction in the side-to-side slop experienced with the stock shifter linkage assembly. All STi's, '05+ LGTs (5MT), and the '06+ WRXs only require the bushings themselves, where the '02-'05 WRX requires a new U-joint. This is because the stock piece on the '02-'05 WRX shift linkage doesn't allow you to change just the bushings.
    Install directions

Mount Upgrades

Driveline mount upgrades are beneficial to reducing parasitic "energy loss" from the engine and transmission shifting under load.

Engine mounts are used to reduce the horizontal motion of the motor under load, and are a great modification. These are available in both polyurethane or solid mounts. While the solid mounts offer more rigidity, the NVH associated with them are more than some may want on their daily driver.
    Install directions

An upgraded transimission mount is another great modification which reduces the movement of the transmission under load. Like with the engine mounts, these are available as both polyurethane and solid upgrades. Again, while the solid mounts offer more rigidity, the NVH associated with them are more than some may want on their daily driver.
    Install directions

An upgraded pitch stop (also referred to as the "dog bone" due to its shape) mount reduces the vertical motion of the motor under load.
    Install directions

Driveline Bushings

Transmission crossmember bushings replace the bushings that go between the transmission mount, the transmission subframe, and the chassis. While replacing the transmission mount, it is a good idea to replace the crossmember bushings as well to reduce the motion of the transmission under load. Anyone who has held one of the OEM bushings side-by-side with upgraded aftermarket ones can attest to the difference.
    Install directions

Rear differential mount bushings replace the bushings between the rear differential and the rear differential mount to help reduce the "clunk" sound of the rear differential hitting the subframe during launches and shifts under high load. The clunk sound is caused not only by the flex, but by "voids" in the stock bushings. Aftermarket polyurethane bushings are not only firmer, but also fill the "voids" that the OEM rubber pieces have.
    Install directions

Subframe outrigger bushings replace the bushings between the outrigger and the subframe, and are another modification to help reduce the the "clunk" sound of the rear differential hitting the subframe during launches and shifts under high load. The clunk sound is caused not only by the flex, but by "voids" in the stock bushings. Aftermarket polyurethane bushings are not only firmer, but also fill the "voids" that the OEM rubber pieces have.
    Install directions

Steering rack bushings are a great modification which replace the rubber bushings between the steering rack and the chassis with polyurethane ones. These bushings provide better steering response and increased steering feel.
    Install directions

Driveshaft/propeller bushings replace the OEM rubber bushings with solid metal bushings. These bushings reduce driveshaft movement during acceleration/deceleration, and reduces wheel hop.
    Install directions

If you have any suggestions/comments, please feel free to post them.
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-17-2010 at 08:56 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Great post, thanks for writhing this up!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thanks! Very Helpful! I just ordered my Transmission Mount and the Crossmember bushings!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Thanks! Very Helpful! I just ordered my Transmission Mount and the Crossmember bushings!
    Nice - these mods do far more than I suspect most people would imagine.

I really like the idea of most of these and have been considering doing all of the ones on this page: - Turn In Concepts
    I liked their super shifter kit, except I did not do the U-joint because it was a PITA to get out and some people said that they noticed no difference other than more noise.

However, I was wondering how difficult they are to do and if they could be done on ramps? I do have a pair of jackstands as well but did not like how there was not a really great place to put them on my '09. Plus I think I may have bent one of the tabs where the emergency jack is supposed to go.

I also plan to do front and rear sways and endlinks.

I am guessing it is best to do the Tranny mount and Crossmember ones at the same time. Also is the Kartboy subframe bushing kit redundant if the Whiteline subframe inserts are used? If so, which one would be preferred?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashome
    I really like the idea of most of these and have been considering doing all of the ones on this page: - Turn In Concepts
    I liked their super shifter kit, except I did not do the U-joint because it was a PITA to get out and some people said that they noticed no difference other than more noise.
    The shift linkage bushings make a world of difference - not sure who you got your info from

I did the entire shifter set (lever + front/rear, pivot, and shift linkage bushings) at once, so I wasn't able to see the difference in my setup for each, but when my friend and I installed the U-joint on his car, it was a very noticeable difference.

However, I was wondering how difficult they are to do and if they could be done on ramps? I do have a pair of jackstands as well but did not like how there was not a really great place to put them on my '09. Plus I think I may have bent one of the tabs where the emergency jack is supposed to go.
    It's a tough squeeze for me - I'm a bit heavier than some members on here, and from the front, my Rhino Ramps give me enough clearance to change my oil, and that's about it.

Luckily, I have cheap lift access ($10/hr) which includes use of all their tools. I take full advantage of that for pretty much all my installs.

I've done shift linkage bushings on a two cars (mine and a friends). Mine took longer because we had to figure out a way to boil water since I only had the bushings, where he had the entire U-joint assembly. I ended up cutting a soda can in half, going to his frat house for a butane torch, and boiling the water in the can - ghetto, I know, but it worked. I think the entire time we spent doing his install was 90 minutes (from driving the car into the lift bay to driving it out), but that was more because we had difficulty getting the pin out and I hadn't seen him in a while, so we spent a good amount of time BSing.

I am guessing it is best to do the Tranny mount and Crossmember ones at the same time. Also is the Kartboy subframe bushing kit redundant if the Whiteline subframe inserts are used? If so, which one would be preferred?
    If you're going to do the transmission mount, do the crossmember bushings as well (they're cheap). In order to access the transmission mount, you'll need to take off the bracing that has all the bushings, so while you're there, do it. You pick one manufacturer of the bushings: Whiteline, Kartboy, or TiC are the three brands I've helped install for people. Beatrush also makes them (and possibly others), but I have no personal experience with them. I went with TiC.
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-01-2010 at 03:58 PM.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashome View Post
    Also is the Kartboy subframe bushing kit redundant if the Whiteline subframe inserts are used? If so, which one would be preferred?
    Wow, those are totally different than the earlier models. I would guess redundant but call them they are totally on top of it. My subframe is just bolted to the car now with no bushings (subframe lock kit) but that doesn't seem to be an option for you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nicely done.

Stickied for posterity.

Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The shift linkage bushings make a world of difference - not sure who you got your info from
    This thread: 2009 WRX Short Shifter and Bushing Install - NASIOC

I could not get that darn pin out for the life of me, even with a drift punch. I installed it in my garage with a space heater when it was about 14 degrees outside though. I had one heck of a time getting some of the exhaust cover bolts off. I was using PB Blaster and all but it was bad, sockets were broken and my buddy busted his knuckles. As a result I did not bother removing the mid pipe, since that was no more cooperative. Last time I ask for car stuff for Christmas and pretend like I won't install it until spring. I am jealous of your lift access! grrrr!

I guess I will look into putting those in come spring when I do the tranny mounts. After buying a longer wrench and a breaker bar.

For the rear diff, would I only do one package? What would you recommend?

I Support ClubWRX
    This thread: 2009 WRX Short Shifter and Bushing Install - NASIOC

I could not get that darn pin out for the life of me, even with a drift punch. I installed it in my garage with a space heater when it was about 14 degrees outside though. I had one heck of a time getting some of the exhaust cover bolts off. I was using PB Blaster and all but it was bad, sockets were broken and my buddy busted his knuckles. As a result I did not bother removing the mid pipe, since that was no more cooperative. Last time I ask for car stuff for Christmas and pretend like I won't install it until spring. I am jealous of your lift access! grrrr!
    The pin is a royal PITA. I installed it with my OEM downpipe in place, so I removed the midpipe which made it a lot easier than when we did this on my friends wagon with a catted Invidia (we left it there).

As for difference, maybe the '08/'09 is different than '02-'07 models, but both cars I've done this on show significant reduction in side-to-side movement of the shifter than with the OEM bushings. As for cabin noise, maybe they didn't torque things to spec, didn't use grease on the bushings, etc.

I guess I will look into putting those in come spring when I do the tranny mounts. After buying a longer wrench and a breaker bar.
    Perfect - since you have to drop the bracing to do both, it'd be a perfect time to go back and try again.

For the rear diff, would I only do one package? What would you recommend?
    I'd give the TiC guys a call to see which they'd recommend - they are extremely helpful, and both Kartboy and Whiteline make good products, so I doubt you'd be disappointed with either, but they may be able to share some personal experience with you.

Just let us know what they say.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Just what the heck is a bushing? - NASIOC

Here's an awesome thread by TiC about why bushings, while often overlooked, are so important.
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-05-2010 at 10:36 AM.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I added links to install directions for each modification discussed. I couldn't find a driveshaft/propeller bushing write-up, so if someone knows of one, please post it, and I'll include it in my original post.

Thanks
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-07-2010 at 07:51 PM.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    I couldn't find a driveshaft/propeller bushing write-up, so if someone knows of one, please post it, and I'll include it in my original post.

Thanks
    I still haven't been able to locate a complete write-up, but I put up a picture with torque spec for the time being. If anyone knows of one, feel free to post it.

Thanks.

UNYSOC

Sorry I have been busy lately, but I did email the guys at TiC who said that for the 08+, the Whiteline diff and subframe inserts would be recommended.

Registered User Fritz_the_Chick's Avatar
    Thanks for posting these links and directions; I think for the first time ever I have been able to install something in the time that is suggested from the manufacturer.

The Kartboy shifter makes such a sublime difference in the throws. It's really quite surprisingly good.
    Fast and Wrong.
    ~Blobeye Syndicate Member #2442~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast