2011-2012 WRX/STI OEM FOG LIGHT INSTALL
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011-2012 WRX/STI OEM FOG LIGHT INSTALL within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I decided to post this write up for those that would like to install OEM Fog Lights on the 2011-2012 ...

I decided to post this write up for those that would like to install OEM Fog Lights on the 2011-2012 WRX/STI. This is my 1st DIY Thread ever and it probably shows. This Job will take an average DIY'er 1 hour to 1 hour and 30min. As with most car projects be sure to unplug the car battery. (I didn't)

Here's the kit shown in ISM. Relay and Replacement Turn Signal Dimmer Switch already were installed when I took this pic.

Here's the tools needed, Phillips, 10mm socket and something to remove plastic fasteners on weather guard are a must, rest is up to you and I added the blue masking tape.

-Part 1- Turn Signal Switch Removal/Installation

1. Remove this screw then remove bottom steering hub cover.

2. Remove these 3 screws (3rd shown in 2nd pic) so you can move the top hub cover out of the way.

3. Remove this plug from original turn signal switch.

4. Remove the two screws and pull/slide turn signal switch out of receptacle.

5. Install the provided turn signal switch, tighten screws (do not over tighten) and install plug into new switch. Re-install upper-cover screws and lower wheel hub cover screw. Part 1 complete.

-Part 2- Relay Installation

1. For added light remove the side panel. Pull from bottom where marked should pop off easily. Open fuse box door also. Marked is the location of where the supplied Relay will be installed.

2. Directions in kit say to remove more of the dash panel, I found this unnecessary. Relay can be put in from underneath or through the fuse access door.

3. Close fuse access door and pop back on side dash panel. Part 2 complete.

-Part 3- Fog light installation on to front bumper.

The instructions provided call for the whole front bumper to be removed, i found this not necessary. I also took it upon myself to mask around where the stock panels come off to be sure not scratch existing paint on bumper or the new covers to be installed.

1. Always when working underneath any vehicle you should always use jack-stands.

2. Remove the 2 plastic fasteners and the 10mm bolt. For access just pull down the cover. This is same for both sides.

3. The original fog light area covers will have "tabs" to press to get them off. You'll push these out from inside bumper.

4. Here's your factory harness to plug into your new fog lights. Cut the tape. This is same on both sides.

5. Take the new fog light and slide it into existing slot. Easiest way to tell which side is which is to make sure the electrical plug is pointing down toward the ground, under this condition fog lights will only go in one way. This will ensure proper installation. Tighten the provided 10mm bolts. These are easy to over tighten. (I did on 1) So snug will do. Then plug in the harness. Marked is where you can make the beam adjustments with a phillips screwdriver. The provided instructions show correct beam placement. (I used my garage door- You will have to install ground back on battery and take car off of jack stands to do this.)

6. After beam adjustment install the fasteners and 10mm bolts on weather guards under car. Install the new provided fog light covers that will complete the install. I started from the outside and worked my way to the inside its just opposite of how you removed the original fog light cover. Should easily snap on.

7. Remove tape if used.

8. Remove jack stands and lower car to ground. Install ground back on battery. If all is done right should look like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Great write up.

Just one thing I did differently.I removed the side vents & reached in to install the housings.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet write up Subaken. Really nice pics and directions. What's next on your list?

+ rep fo sho =)
    Last edited by carnevino; 05-21-2012 at 09:18 PM.

+Rep great install guide.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Awesome write up, especially for your first one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

If I was more computer literate I would of posted a video. One day I will be more intelligent. Thanks for the props. I would of scanned in the actual directions but wasn't sure about copyrights laws. As funds and wife permits I will definitely be doing more write ups.

Definitely needs to be a sticky. GREAT job!

Just installed mine using the right up. thanks. Only thing was I installed the clear film to protect them prior to installation and had to wash the inside area after removing the cover sand and bugs gotta love Florida.

I'll definitely use this to install mine now. Great write up!

So what exactly do you mean by adjusting the beam? I saw the pic where you pointed to where to adjust but I still don't get what it does. Here is a photo after installation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360579779.770895.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	111843

If this is your first DIY write up, you are pretty close to going pro. Its very well done, answered all the lingering questions I had. Any advice on selling this install to the wife?

Great write-up. I'm looking to install fog lights next month, so I will be using these instructions.

Subdd

I had mine installed by the dealer. Based on the expirience I had with my 05, I thought the fogs would put a decent amount of light out. I was wrong and will definetly be upgrading to something else soon. Maybe I just need to put some better bulbs in and figure out how to get them to come on with out headlights too. Otherwise awesome writeup!

how much was the kit and ware can i get a good deal on one @? Would it be worth it ot do a HID fog kit?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.