Subaru WRX Forum banner

2011 Hatch Rattle

25K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  zwrxp09 
#1 ·

There's some rattling in my hatch and I think this is the source of the problem. The plastic spring loaded piece seems to be very wobbly. Hatch owners, is it wobbly for you too?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
If you're getting a squeaky noise.. this is likely it, what I did for mine was to rub off all the fuzzy stuff on the ends, got them as clean as possible and squirted some silicone lube on where they contact the interior panels and where the tensioner slides on the alum channel. Cured the squeak.
However if you're getting more of a rattle or plastic on plastic tangy kind of noise its likely the trim around the hatch. I pulled all mine and put foam weatherstrip behind the panels to eliminate the rattle. If you open the hatch and tap around on the panels you can kinda reproduce the rattly noise.

The strips here are in place to show where I put foam on the inside of the panel

You'll also notice that the hatch rattle subsides as it gets warmer but the cargo cover squeak will get more prominent when its warm.

I put the foam on probably 35k mi ago and not a peep out of it since.

#5 ·
mine has same issue.. all kinds of rattles from the hatch area. i put some doulbe sided tabe on the rear licence plate trim and it helped a lot but i still hear stuff from back there i just cant find where its comming from. also i removed the cargo cover and that also helped a lot with the rattles. i saw a fix but i havnt had time to take apart the car and line it with foam pieces.

#8 ·
For me that spring loaded piece did start to squeek a little after I hit 4k miles. But seeing that it's plastic on plastic makes sense that it would make noise.

mangostick - Those are some good suggestions. I'll keep that in mind if things start to make more noise.

#15 · (Edited)
wait for it...... waaaaaaaiiiiiitttt ffffoooooorrrrr iiiitttt ....

mine was silent till about 4k mi.. and then it was like someone woke up the chorus of crickets hiding in the car. :eek3: I've got all but the damned sun visors sorted out so far. If they'd use plastics that dont like to stick to each other none of this would be a problem.:rolleyes:

first was the rear hatch area "tangity tang tang" noises over bumps. The foam stopped that. Then there was the cargo cover.. the procedure I listed stopped that.. then it was the front A pillar trim.. more foam.. fixed. Now, now its almost quiet except for where the visors clip in.. I need to put some lube on those spots so the plastic quits creaking. Then it wont sound like an old box spring with a couple of bored co-eds on a test drive. ;) :woocow:

Its not easy to remove the bottom trim.When I did it ,I removed the top trim first and the sides next(that was the easy part),the lower trim is not so easy,it will take some force.Its held in place by a couple of plastic pins.I got my hand under the trim after freeing the edges,forcibly pulled out the center pins out one by one.I suggest you wear gloves while doing this as I cut myself.Also check the spring on the privacy cover.Your dealer can also fix it for you.
I didn't pull the bottom piece.. just the top and sides. Tapping on the bottom piece didn't yield any funny noises. The rest though.. gdam they seemed like they were barely mounted right and clickin up a storm.

#11 ·
Subaru's=rattles,1st outback rattled like a tank. The Legacy was half as bad, and this WRX is best by far, but thats almost worse cause any squeak is noticeable. I hate the rattling passenger speaker, will get that looked at with 1st oil change if I can stand it that long.
However I notice it rattles less when the cover is extended. License plate rattle drove me nuts added double sided tape between plate and surround.

#12 ·
I feel like if my 2005 STI DID'T rattle, there would be something wrong.

#13 ·
It's starting to get worse. It's more of a plastic clicking noise now, every time I hit a bump on the road a certain way (enough to flex the body I suppose?). It's starting to get annoying.. I'll definitely play around with the hatch plastics like you advised. Was it easy to remove the trim?

#14 ·
Its not easy to remove the bottom trim.When I did it ,I removed the top trim first and the sides next(that was the easy part),the lower trim is not so easy,it will take some force.Its held in place by a couple of plastic pins.I got my hand under the trim after freeing the edges,forcibly pulled out the center pins out one by one.I suggest you wear gloves while doing this as I cut myself.Also check the spring on the privacy cover.Your dealer can also fix it for you.

#16 ·
I found the source of the clicks I was hearing. It was the backseat center headrest. I duplicated the sound when I was playing around with it, then I clicked it on the high position and it stopped clicking. Then I put it back on it's low position. No clicks on my way to work today... It sounds like there are other noises that will come up in the next few thousand miles though. I'm already at 1200 miles and I only picked up my car in 3/8/11!

#17 ·
picked mine up in oct of 09 (2010 model) .. today have 43K n change on it. They really are fun cars to drive.. if you're not careful the mileage racks up FAST. I do drive a lot for work purposes too though.. so I have another source of mileage. But I see it this way. Despite its little quirks and noises its an excellent car for all around purposes and its extremely fun to drive. For my application, why rent a car I'll hate when I can drive mine and make the trip that much more enjoyable? Sitting cars die.. running cars just require maintenance more often. ;)

plus I find all the squeaks n rattles better the longer I'm in the car lol.

#18 ·
Yep, I used to do the 2 car setup not long ago (DD and weekend warrior) when I had a 97 318ti and a 01 540i/6, but ended up moving to a bigger place and needed to trim some fat so I figured going to one car would be a good idea. Well after DDing the 540, problems arose after almost 3 years of being problem free as a weekend warrior. I guess it didn't like my 500 mile/week work commute!

#20 ·
Yeah I hate to be a downer but they're coming lol.. although we're comin into warm weather.. so you may not hear anything until fall when it starts to cool off. Seems the plastic bits expand/shrink quite a bit and when warm dont make as much fuss as they do cold. Dunno, can only speak literally for my own ride and it didn't get really vocal till the temp started dropping.

#25 ·
Yes, I have the same problem on my 2011 wrx hatchack. I removed it for now because it was annoying.

Unfortunately I then developed a new, similar rattle in my front, drivers side pillar (is that called the "A-pillar"?). It's annoying me and I am considering taking the car to the dealer for a repair. Any advice?

#28 ·
Thanks so much for posting this, I am going to attempt your recommended fix with the A-pillar or print this out and take it to the dealer and ask them to do it at the next oil change. I know the WRX isn't a luxury car and I love the damn thing because it's so fun to drive, but come on, at only 6k miles it has as many rattles as my previous car w/100k...it's not inspiring confidence about the build quality.

#35 ·
My security visor thing in the back was squeeking so I put some cloth between each end and the sides of the car. It helped a lot...for like 3 days. Now the squeeking is back on occassion even with the cloth in place.

I think taking out the visor altogether would get rid of all of the noise but I like having that back there since I don't have my windows tinted yet.

Where did you get the red taillights? Looks good.
Me? Thanks. Google "blue batmobile".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.