2011 Hatch Rattle
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 Hatch Rattle within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; There's some rattling in my hatch and I think this is the source of the problem. The plastic spring loaded ...

2011 Hatch Rattle

There's some rattling in my hatch and I think this is the source of the problem. The plastic spring loaded piece seems to be very wobbly. Hatch owners, is it wobbly for you too?
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes,I believe every hatch has the same problem.I didn't do anything,went away on its own.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Asharus View Post

There's some rattling in my hatch and I think this is the source of the problem. The plastic spring loaded piece seems to be very wobbly. Hatch owners, is it wobbly for you too?
    If you're getting a squeaky noise.. this is likely it, what I did for mine was to rub off all the fuzzy stuff on the ends, got them as clean as possible and squirted some silicone lube on where they contact the interior panels and where the tensioner slides on the alum channel. Cured the squeak.
    However if you're getting more of a rattle or plastic on plastic tangy kind of noise its likely the trim around the hatch. I pulled all mine and put foam weatherstrip behind the panels to eliminate the rattle. If you open the hatch and tap around on the panels you can kinda reproduce the rattly noise.

The strips here are in place to show where I put foam on the inside of the panel

You'll also notice that the hatch rattle subsides as it gets warmer but the cargo cover squeak will get more prominent when its warm.

I put the foam on probably 35k mi ago and not a peep out of it since.
    Last edited by mangostick; 03-20-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

My WRX hatchback has the same problem, but my wife's Impreza Outback Sport doesn't make any noise. Both are 2011 models.

mine has same issue.. all kinds of rattles from the hatch area. i put some doulbe sided tabe on the rear licence plate trim and it helped a lot but i still hear stuff from back there i just cant find where its comming from. also i removed the cargo cover and that also helped a lot with the rattles. i saw a fix but i havnt had time to take apart the car and line it with foam pieces.

Does your spring loaded plastic piece circled in the picture above wobble too? It seems pretty loose to me.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

I Support ClubWRX
    All those noises are a bit embarrassing when I show off the car to guests.My new exhaust should be here soon, once thats in place hopefully it will drown out all those rattling sounds.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

For me that spring loaded piece did start to squeek a little after I hit 4k miles. But seeing that it's plastic on plastic makes sense that it would make noise.

mangostick - Those are some good suggestions. I'll keep that in mind if things start to make more noise.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

I have no rattling in my car................................yet....
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

It seems that the spring is so weak. Did anyone had it replace from the dealer? I am planning to have the dealer replace it. As I said, wife's Impreza Outback Sport doesn't rattle and the spring is firmer than the one that came with my WRX.

Subaru's=rattles,1st outback rattled like a tank. The Legacy was half as bad, and this WRX is best by far, but thats almost worse cause any squeak is noticeable. I hate the rattling passenger speaker, will get that looked at with 1st oil change if I can stand it that long.
    However I notice it rattles less when the cover is extended. License plate rattle drove me nuts added double sided tape between plate and surround.
    Yes dear polishing the underside of the rocker panels IS important.

I feel like if my 2005 STI DID'T rattle, there would be something wrong.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

It's starting to get worse. It's more of a plastic clicking noise now, every time I hit a bump on the road a certain way (enough to flex the body I suppose?). It's starting to get annoying.. I'll definitely play around with the hatch plastics like you advised. Was it easy to remove the trim?

I Support ClubWRX
    Its not easy to remove the bottom trim.When I did it ,I removed the top trim first and the sides next(that was the easy part),the lower trim is not so easy,it will take some force.Its held in place by a couple of plastic pins.I got my hand under the trim after freeing the edges,forcibly pulled out the center pins out one by one.I suggest you wear gloves while doing this as I cut myself.Also check the spring on the privacy cover.Your dealer can also fix it for you.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    I have no rattling in my car................................yet....
    wait for it...... waaaaaaaiiiiiitttt ffffoooooorrrrr iiiitttt ....

mine was silent till about 4k mi.. and then it was like someone woke up the chorus of crickets hiding in the car. I've got all but the damned sun visors sorted out so far. If they'd use plastics that dont like to stick to each other none of this would be a problem.

first was the rear hatch area "tangity tang tang" noises over bumps. The foam stopped that. Then there was the cargo cover.. the procedure I listed stopped that.. then it was the front A pillar trim.. more foam.. fixed. Now, now its almost quiet except for where the visors clip in.. I need to put some lube on those spots so the plastic quits creaking. Then it wont sound like an old box spring with a couple of bored co-eds on a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Its not easy to remove the bottom trim.When I did it ,I removed the top trim first and the sides next(that was the easy part),the lower trim is not so easy,it will take some force.Its held in place by a couple of plastic pins.I got my hand under the trim after freeing the edges,forcibly pulled out the center pins out one by one.I suggest you wear gloves while doing this as I cut myself.Also check the spring on the privacy cover.Your dealer can also fix it for you.
    I didn't pull the bottom piece.. just the top and sides. Tapping on the bottom piece didn't yield any funny noises. The rest though.. gdam they seemed like they were barely mounted right and clickin up a storm.
    Last edited by mangostick; 03-22-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast