Subaru WRX Forum banner

2011 wrx crazy turn signal

47K views 89 replies 44 participants last post by  XJman 
#1 ·
Experiencing a problem with my passenger side blinker six weeks into my '11. Haven't found anything on clubwrx but have seen numerous reports elsewhere.

The turn signal blinks rapidly as if there is a bad bulb (according to the manual). The front turn signal filament is not lighting up while the seconary is flashing at a fast rate (if you look close, there are two filaments on that bulb). So far, this "hyperblinking" has not been consistent and I've had a few instances of regular behavior within the past two days.

From what I gather so far - this is not a bad bulb issue as some reported recurrences after bulb change.. Anyone familiar with this issue or similar electrical problems? Thanks!

#13 ·
Just take it in to the dealer. I wouldn't touch a thing if I had just paid for a warranty.

Sounds like subaru cut corners again, my bugeye has never had a turn signal bulb go, there is no reason they should fail in a new car except faulty wiring.

#4 ·
Yep, something is up. It is absolutely going to be one of these 3 things:

1 - the bulb is loose or blew
2 - a fuse is loose or blew
3 - the wiring to the headlight housing is loose

Since it can fix itself and work for awhile, I think it's 3.

#15 ·
Well, I'm now part of the crazy blinker club. Coming home from work on Fri my left turn signal started it's epileptic behavior. I looked at it a bit and the light is not only faster, but much dimmer than normal. It's raining today so I have to wait until I get home later and am in the garage to look, but I'm going to jiggle the bulbs/wires to see if that does anything.

This is real annoying but at least it's just a nuisance and not something where I can't still drive the car.

#16 ·
Ok, I'm pretty sure it's a bad bulb situation.

Here's a trick to figure out which bulb is the problem: turn on your hazards and then walk around the car.

For me the front-left amber bulb was much dimmer than all of the rest. It still works but it's not as bright. So the dealer replacing a bulb for someone a few posts up makes sense. I can't believe a bulb is done already...after only a month or so of use.

#17 ·
Just wanted to update this...it's the bulbs for sure. I replaced my bad one yesterday and the blinker is normal again. From what I can tell from the "bad" bulb...it actually looks ok but there are 2 filaments so I suspect 1 of them blew but it is tough to tell. How this could go bad 2 months out of the factory is beyond me.

But swapping in a new bulb fixed this. $4.99 for 2 bulbs (1157A) at Pep Boys and 5 minutes later I was good-to-go. That was worth not having to make a trip to the dealer IMO.

#18 ·
Crazy turn signal

I'm certain by now you have most likely resolved your rapid flashing turn signal. I appreciate you addressed this issue as I just purchased a 2011 WRX and after only 400 miles experienced the exact same symptoms. Having just divested a 2008 Carrera S I was wondering if I had made a mistake purchasing this wonderful little rocket with all wheel drive (moved from Las Vegas to Olympia, WA). I noticed when I put the emergency flashers on that the bad turn signal was much dimmer than the good one. I took the vehicle to the dealer today and they noticed that one of the dual filaments was bad, replaced the bulb (after taking apart engine compartment guard) and the problem was solved. I think Subaru got themselves a bad batch of bulbs and those of us lucky enough to get one were tortured with this symptom. Otherwise I'm loving this little beast...:)

#19 ·
Good to hear. I think they just put in crap bulbs. The front-right is the only pain to replace since you have to remove the battery to get to it. But that's not a big deal really and I'd rather deal with replacing a bulb than something more serious.

And I think you picked a good car for the Northwest. I had a 350Z in Portland and it was most fine most of the time but if we had snow it was useless.

#21 ·
I'm now in the official rapid blinking bad cheap blown blinker bulb club. Mine is on the right, so I guess it's to the dealer, I don't want to mess with the battery. Oh yeah I have had the car for 4 weeks, 980 miles. My old 93 Nissan pick-up with over 250,000 miles on her I don't think I ever had to change a bulb. Arrrrrrrrgggggggggg

#22 ·
For me it was more "cost effective" (if you include the value of my time waiting at the dealer) to just buy the bulbs for $5 and do it myself. You learn a lil more about the car (I suspect this issue will re-occur at some point) and save yourself an hour or more.

#25 · (Edited)
Subaru has a Tech Tip for this in their January issue.

Before replacing a head-lamp assembly for a Customer concern of a turn
signal that blinks too fast, check the wiring as it enters the turn signal bulb
socket. There may be too much tension on the wires that could be causing a
poor connection. Slightly re-routing the wire harness to alleviate the tension should remedy the condition.

#26 ·
Took me half a year but I am having this blinker issue on my driver's side turn signal. If I can wait til next week I will have the dealer take care of it. But my OCD probably won't allow this to go on much longer. Sux that a new car has these minor probs but it was worst when I had an EVO 8. I had rattling, clutch and brake issues all within the first year in that problematic Mitsubishi.

#27 ·
Ran across this thread via some Googling. Not a WRX, but my 2011 2.5i has the exact same issue, Passenger side, 4 weeks, ~1,500 miles. As much as I hate to give a car to a service department for what might be a bulb, they're close to my office and I'm not too keen on ripping apart a new car that early (stereo stuff aside).

#28 ·
Yep, mine just started doing this today... walked around the car, lights were all blinking. Turned off the car and restarted it, and the problem vanished and hasn't come back yet. Will take to dealer ASAP because i don't want think about it anymore :)

#31 ·
I'm not willing to drive it around like that until my first service. Call it my OCD kicking in, but I don't like it, and will be taking it in first chance I get.

#32 ·
For approx $2 for a bulb you can swap in a new one in less time than it would take to even explain the issue to a dealer. Honestly, it has got to be the easiest DIY I've ever done. Satisfy your OCD more immediately. ;-)

#34 ·
Agreed, but is it just the bulb? Some things I'm reading say it's the wire going to the bulb socket having too much tension on it. I have no problem performing maintenance tasks like this, but if its a known warranty issue, I want it dealt with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.