2011 STI Review of COBB AccessPORT on Stage 1

This is a discussion on 2011 STI Review of COBB AccessPORT on Stage 1 within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; **I found time to post some of my review threads over here... see below** This is a Review of the ...

2011 STI Review of COBB AccessPORT on Stage 1

**I found time to post some of my review threads over here... see below**

This is a Review of the COBB AccessPort Stage 1 map on my 2011 STI Limited.

Its amazing that Subaru came out with a Stock Tune that is as bad as the one on the 2011 STI. I have read thread after thread from normal enthusiasts to performance tuner shops saying how bad this is.

I ordered an AccessPORT from COBBtuning.com to correct this situation and it arrived with fast shipping via UPS. The AccessPORT came a nice blue colored box surrounded in foam. Installing this to your car is as easy as charging your cell phone every night. The quality of the AP is great! The screen is very bright and clear. It is very easy to navigate, basically very user friendly. I plugged it in, and installed it the same night I received it. Here's what I thought before and after install.....

When I first got in my STI I was amazed at the car. It was fast and sounded great. One thing I noticed was between 3500 and 4000 rpm's the car seems to trip on a stick or fall over on its face for a second. It caught me off guard the first time I went WOT that I thought A) I had slipped off the pedal, B) Something was wrong with my brand new STI, or C) This cant be normal for all STI's.... Well the answer was C!! After researching on IWSTI I saw a number of dyno's that showed the HP and TQ drop. There was nothing smooth at all with the stock curve.

COBB AccessPORT for my 2011 Sedan ordered here @
    http://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=5240

My last Access Port I had was for my G37 and I immediately noticed the added features from a year and a half ago. Not to mention the added features that COBB just released in a new update last week.

I plugged in the AP to my OBD plug and went inside for a minute to get a drink, came back out a few minutes later and it was ready to roll. I looked over all the menus the AP had, watched it monitor the many different things it monitors then I went for a brief drive.

My First Impression:

In first gear it accelerates faster and I am ready to shift to 2nd faster than stock. It actually shocked me so much I bounced it off the limiter once. After I went through first gear I felt like I was in a different car. I have never felt such a difference in the same car when doing some type of performance mod. I drove for about 3 minutes and parked and went to bed.

Impression:

The next morning on the way to work I got to test it out more extensively. I wasn't dreaming last night, it is truly a different car. The power band is extremely smooth. Say goodbye to the hiccup between 3500 and 4000k because now its butter all the way to the top. The power that COBB's Stage 1 gives is great. I am through the gears a lot faster, the engine sounds smoother, and of course the exhaust sound is smooth as well.

A good buddy of mine who was present for a Stock WOT run previously, got in the car and his first words were "damn what did you do" and this comes from a guy who is into looks and not speed. He felt the difference even with his rarely used "butt dyno"

Another great thing about the AP is you can log your runs and see exactly what your engine is doing. This is something that can help you tremendously when adding other mods to your car or even just to check up on the way your STI is running.

Overall:

I feel a lot better knowing that my STI is running safer now than it was when it came from the factory. IMO every 2011 STI owner should invest in a Cobb AP just to protect their engine and be that much more safe when running there car at WOT. This is the type of modification that anyone can do, even if you have trouble pumping your own gas, you can get an AP, flash your car and even monitor it.

Another thing that I love is my dealer sells COBB products and they actually encourage the AccessPORT as the first thing you do.

I hope this helps some of you guys that are asking about ECU Tunes and getting that nasty stock tune taken care of. This is something that transforms your car into a new beast... You will LOVE IT!!!

Any Questions, just ask.
    - 2011 Subaru STI Limited in WRB -

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Since your dealer sells COBB products, does that mean they won't void any warranty claims? I have 2011 WRX and want to invest in the AP, but am a little worried about having some warranty claims denied.
    Everything happens for a reason

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXpower17 View Post
    Since your dealer sells COBB products, does that mean they won't void any warranty claims? I have 2011 WRX and want to invest in the AP, but am a little worried about having some warranty claims denied.
    I'm going to say that'll depend on the dealership and also the failure.
    Clark Tuned | Cobb SRI, DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | STi Group-N Engine Mounts | Plate Relocation | KB F+R Endlinks, Pitch Stop, Shift Knob, F+R Shift Bushings | Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear, Gearbox +Shift | PST Carbon Driveshaft | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Yakima Roof Rack + Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I have noticed the same behavior on my '11 STI in that same RPM range. My 07 WRX was very smooth, so I was surprised to feel this on the STI. I feel like the skip is getting worse as it gets warmer outside.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Extremely thorough review, even for just stage 1. Nicely written.

If you have an engine problem while on an AP map then most dealers will deny your engine-related claim. But if you're already stage 1 then you might as well go stage 2 and you'll be even more impressed.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!

Just depends on the dealership... I know my dealership is fine... now if the AP caused a problem, I would pay the fiddler because I caused the problem... but Ive not read about a Cobb tune causing any problems... Subarus weak ringlands are to blame for the problems not the OTS Tunes...

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Since your dealer knows (they sold the AP to you), they know.... However, if you uninstall the AP before bringing the car to the dealer they will not be able to determine if you had previously flashed.

By the way... how does the AP work with Si-Drive? Does it change I, S, and S# ? Or just S#?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    However, if you uninstall the AP before bringing the car to the dealer they will not be able to determine if you had previously flashed.
    This is encouraging me to buy an AccessPort.

Yes you can uninstall it and the dealer will not now you had an AP on it...

Si-drive works similiar to the way it did before the tune... S drops the boost a bit and I- drops a good amount for gas mileage purposes...Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo12 View Post
    Yes you can uninstall it and the dealer will not now you had an AP on it...

Si-drive works similiar to the way it did before the tune... S drops the boost a bit and I- drops a good amount for gas mileage purposes...Works great!
    But doesn't the dealer know every time the ecu has been flashed?

From what I have read they shouldn't unless you make obvious that you did something. As to the OP my 08 still does that as well at like 4k Rpms. Ap will be ordered in two weeks for me

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

i am selling my ap for the 2011 wrx. check the for sale threads if you are interested. car is being sold soon.

I think the Stage I should be on every 2011 STI and WRX...it made a huge difference on my WRX as well.

To elaborate on a previous post: When you add the AP to the car, it downloads all of the information from the stock ECU and saves it. When you remove the AP from the car, it restores all this information to the ECU, so there is no way to tell it has been flashed.

Supposedly, if a dealer removes your ECU and sends it to SOA, they can check it. However, they would only do this in the event of a massive failure and I have never heard of this actually happening.

Cobb tunes are generally considered to be "safe".
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

All the dealership can see is that the codes have been reset... this can be explained by unplugging the battery for many reasons that people unplug the battery... pretty simple and super safe!

great info...i did not know that about the install...good info for everyone on the late model wrx's