The Blue Turd - Nik's 2004 WRX Build
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on The Blue Turd - Nik's 2004 WRX Build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Firstly, if you'd like to keep up to date on my build... Follow me on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/SubieRumble AND Follow me ...

The Blue Turd - Nik's 2004 WRX Build

Firstly, if you'd like to keep up to date on my build...

Follow me on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SubieRumble
    AND
    Follow me on Instagram
    https://instagram.com/datsubierumble/

So let's begin.
    I bought my car in October of 2012. It had 119,000 miles on it & I am the 3rd owner. The car was 100% stock except for black powder coated wheels, cheap mud flaps, Hella horns & some cheap ebay HIDs for the foglights. Yah know... The usual lol

I kept the car stock for quite a bit, almost a year. I bought Rally Armor mud flaps, cleared up the headlights & quickly & I mean QUICKLY became addicted to modifying my car. Yes, I know mud flaps & clearing up headlights don't necassarily qualify as 'modding' but that's all it took for me to realize that I love working on cars.

*Past thoughts to self*
    "car needs to be lowered a bit, I mean look how the rear sags so low compared to the front... ewww."

So I bought EMUSA coilovers.

Yes. eBay, cheap, Chinese made... Nothing special, but they were ride height & camber adjustable & only $450 shipped. After 2 years of owning them, they served their purpose & are still going strong. I don't track my car so performance wasn't too much of a concern. Say what you will & of course you get what you pay for. In my opinion. I got more than what I payed for, they're still going strong!

*Past thoughts to self*
    "damn those stock wheels are so small, narrow, & boring"

So I bought XXR 527s. 17x8.25 with a +25 offset wrapped in 225/45r17 hankooks.

Yes. Ebay, cheap, Chinese made & extremely common... Nothing special. However I like the looks & again, after 2 years of owning them, 0 issues. I got my money's worth.

Here's a list of all handling related mods
    XXR Wheels 17"x8.25" +25 Offset
    Hankook 225/45r17 all-season tires
    EMUSA Ride Height & Camber Adjustable Coilovers
    eBay Front & Rear Upper Strut Tower Brace

Next up I decided to work on the bland appearance of my car. At this point I had just another World Rally Blue (WRB) WRX like every other kid with WRX it seemed lol. I wanted to make up something that made it look better but not be too flashy. I wanted that subtle, good looking WRX. Nothing ricey & nothing boring.

For the front end, I did the 'black nose' mod as I like to call it. It's similar to the newer GTR or Evo look

I masked off the area that needed to be black (& fixed a small dent caused by the previous owner)

Whether it's your cup of tea or not is irrelevant to me, it's something that most Subaru's (at least in my area) don't have, so my car definitely stock out of the bunch more after this.

Next up was clearing up those disgusting, fugly headlights. It turns out the plastic lenses were shot & the headlight was leaking like crazy. So instead of fixing them myself, I just trashed 'em & upgraded to '05 STi headlights. Now if you don't know, '05 STi headlights use HID bulbs which conflicted with my wiring harness so good 'ol lightwerks hooked me up with a conversion cable
    (here's the link if you're planning on doing this)
    OEM STi HID Wiring Harness -- HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net

This simple upgrade made my car look SO much better. I blacked out the inner housing as well.

I added STi side skirts & then added on to them, Duraflex C-Speed Side Skirts.

(don't be jealous of my photoshop skills)

I thought that the WRX wing was pretty ugly & since I thought the STi wing (as awesome as it is) wasn't right for me since my car wasn't an STi, I decided to go wingless. I also added the 06-07 STi vortex generator, roof vane, whatever-tf you want to call it.

Here's how it looked after I was settled for a while with modding the exterior. This is before I started engine modifications (I'm talking more than just stage 2)

Now for some real modding. I became bored with stage 2 & wanted something a bit more fun. I actually contemplated on selling the WRX for an STi a few times back when I was bored with the power. Instead, i decided to keep upgrading parts. It was time for Stage 3!

The WRX TD04 turbo was simply not cutting it, so I upgraded to the VF39 out of an STi with only 50,000 miles on it.

I then added TiAL's 38mm External Wastegate (EWG). THIS THING SCREAMS!!!!

WATCH this video I made of my EWG going through tunnels, IT'S SO FRIGGIN LOUD!

I then installed a TurboXS Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) while retaining the OEM BPV. I KNOW the popular opinon of this mod is 'unnecessary' but I found this FMIC used for $400 which is a steal & with the Cobb AP my intake temps lowered by A LOT. Turbo lag & throttle response seemed the same to me. This required modification (cutting) of the Front crash beam. I could have removed it all together like most do, but I'd prefer not to have my EJ205 in my lap if I ever get into a head on collision (God forbid).

This also required a lot of cutting of the front bumper, I also removed the fog lights and mounts altogether.

Here's how it looked after everything was all mounted up correctly

I then upgraded my ebay turbo back with a Tsudo Turbo back. It's puuurty

These were all the pretty mods of the Stage 3 build. I obviously needed supporting mods such as...
    Injector Dynamics 1000cc fuel injectors (DON'T get Deatschwerks, they gave me SOO many issues)

Once everything was all installed & ready to go I then needed a tune! I decided on trying something different. I dove into the world of e-tuning. E-tuning is where a tuner from a far away land (lol) makes a map for your car, you drive your car, log your driving (with the Cobb Accessport), send your tuner the data logged & he sends a new map until the data logged is good (good AFRs, etc ,etc) This process repeats until your tuner is happy with the way your car is running.

I chose Clark Turner Tuning
    Clark Turner - EFI Calibrator
    https://www.facebook.com/clarkturnertuning

My honest review of his services is positive. The guy knows what he's doing & is very helpful. In my opinion though, he could work on his customer service skills. He comes off as very blunt & to the point (whether he meens to or not idk). But it's pretty simple, he's VERY good at what he does.

After the tune I had my car dyno'd just to see what it was making & it made 289whp/274wtq @ 19psi. Good number for a 2004 WRX with a stock EJ205 & 5 speed with 137,000 miles. That was more than enough power for me & DID YOU WATCH THAT VIDEO?! The car screams & pulls enough to put a smile on my face

No it's not the round # 300whp but you know what, this car makes me smile & it makes people's heads turn (passengers included) which is enough for me !!

Here's the list of ALL my engine mods so far.
    IHI VF39 Turbo
    Thermal Solutions Turbo Blanket
    Blouch Oil Feed Line
    TiAL 38mm External Wastegate (EWG) w/ 14.5 psi (1 bar) spring
    Cobb Interal Wastegate (IWG) Bracket for EWG setup
    Cobb 3-port Electronic Boost Controller (EBCS)
    Cobb EBCS 1/4 Inch EWG Fitting & Hose Kit
    Cobb Short Air SF Intake
    TurboXS Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) w/ Stock BPV
    Injector Dynamics Fuel Injectors 1000cc (Top Feed)
    Injector Dynamics Fuel Injector PnP Adapters USCAR to Denso
    NGK Iridium Spark Plugs One Step Colder 2667
    Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump
    eBay Post MAF Rubber Hose
    Godspeed Silicone turbo Inlet Hose
    Grimmspeed Catless Up pipe w/ Flex Section, 38mm Wastegate Flange & Dump Tube
    eBay 3" Bellmouth Catless Down Pipe
    Tsudo 3" N1 Catback Exhaust
    Mishimoto Aluminum Coolant Reservoir
    Mishimoto Heat Tape for the IC pipes
    Cobb AP V3 on Custom Map by Clark Turner Tuning
    Dyno Results - 289whp / 274tq @ 19 psi on 93 Octane

Here's my fugly EJ205's engine bay. I'll work on color matching & cleaning it up this Summer, but for now I'm just happy with the way it's running!
    "I would rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me, your car is your story, don't let someone else write the book." --Moog

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Now that I'm finished with power. I'm working on stiffening this thing up. It's 11 years old & it's plastic & rubber bushings & mounts are really starting to show (feel) it.

Here's the list of things I've added to stiffen **** up.
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Front & Rear Shifter Bushings
    Kartboy Transmission Mount Bushings
    Group-N STI Transmission Mount
    TiC 5MT Linkage Update
    Torque Solutions Shifter Pivot Bushings
    Torque Solutions Pitch Stop Mount
    eBay Front & Rear Upper Strut Tower Brace (Mainly just got this for looks, I didn't notice a difference in feeling)

Now for the interior. 2004-2007 STi interior are just blue & sexy af in my opinion. So that's what I'm going for.

Here's a list of all the stuff I've done to my interior so far.
    Aluminum Dead Pedal
    COBB Shift Knob Red
    '06 Blue STi Carpet
    '04 Blue STi Door Panels (front and rear)
    '04 STi Center Console
    JPM Coachworks Shift Boot
    Sick Speed Shift Boot Retainer
    Sick Speed 4" Shift Knob Extension

I would like to get STi seats, but mine are heated & I have long 4 - 5 months winter here in PA so I'm still debating on whether I want to depart from the heated booty warmers or not lol But you have to admit, for 11 years and almost 140k miles, that's a clean interior.

I later did a few more things to my exterior since the Stage 3 upgrade.

I got bored of the stealthy black FMIC of mine so I added some teeth to the grill.

Say what you want, it's unique! It's my WRX nom nom nom

I then deleted the Subaru emblem & added the WRX emblem offset like the STi's emblems for the grill. Just some custom stuff

The last mod I've done since it was nice out was the rear diffuser. A guy locally use to make custom rear difussers. It required some cutting & modding since I have a fatass fart can & a 3" turbo back in the way lol But I think it looks nice. Again, my goal is subtle & nice looking (except for the teeth on the intercooler )

Here's a list of all the exterior mods
    '04 STi Front Side Splitters
    '04 STi Fog Light Covers
    eBay STi Front Lip Replica
    Custom made '11 WRX Front Lip Side Splitters
    '05 STi HID Headlights (Blacked Out)
    '04 STi Hood Scoop
    Rally Armor Basic Mud Flaps
    eBay Black Aluminum Rear Tow Hook
    Black Nose Paint Job
    Wingless Trunk (Debadged)
    Emblem/Pillar delete for front grill
    Front grill WRX emblem
    '04 STi Side Skirts
    Duraflex C-Speed Side Skirts
    Custom Made WRX Front License Plate Delete
    Custom Made Rear Diffuser
    eBay Bumper Quick Release Fasteners

So that's my car to date (3/4/2015) I'm currently waiting on Spring & nice temps so I can start the next chapter to this blue turd of mine.

It involves Fender flares, A stupid wide & fat meaty fitment, new wheels & a lot of paint

Here's a few teaser pics

Again, if you're interested in keeping up to date with this build of mine

Follow me on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SubieRumble
    AND
    Follow me on Instagram
    https://instagram.com/datsubierumble/
    Last edited by MisterNBG; 03-04-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    "I would rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me, your car is your story, don't let someone else write the book." --Moog

Here's a better teaser of the projects I have planned for this spring

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice solid build my friend.
    I love the sleeper look.
    A few years back I had an 04 WRX. I sold it for $12,000 and got my 2013 WRX.
    Keep the updates coming.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good and it's definitely unique. I can dig it.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned by Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I like it, looks good. Just curious as to why you wrapped the cold side of your IC pipes in heat reflecting tape?

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    I like it, looks good. Just curious as to why you wrapped the cold side of your IC pipes in heat reflecting tape?
    I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not to the intake temperatures, but the idea was to prevent heat soak. The hot side of the turbo sits right under/next to the IC pipes. I did the pipe that's right before the throttle body (and directly above the turbo) and then I had left over tape so I just did the pipes closest to the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Nice solid build my friend.
    I love the sleeper look.
    A few years back I had an 04 WRX. I sold it for $12,000 and got my 2013 WRX.
    Keep the updates coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Looks good and it's definitely unique. I can dig it.
    Thanks fellas

didn't read ALL of it yet but just wanted to post to say that I legit LOVE how the car looks and you are a BAD mofo my man... great work and congrats and love seeing the progress!

*high-five*

Finally got around to messing around with the blue turd this weekend! So I have a 3" turbo back exhaust with both a resonator & a muffler. I love the low key rumble I have that isn't too loud or obnoxious. However, sometimes I wish my car was a little louder (besides being WOT with my EWG of course) So I went ahead & installed an Electric Exhaust Cut Out.

It's pretty self explanitory, especially once you see the pictures, but long story short, it allows the exhaust gasses coming from your down pipe to literally dump before the resonator or muffler for that true "straight pipe" sound! It's only loud when you want it to be loud!

So I put the cut out after the rear o2 sensor in the down pipe, but before the resonator in the catback's mid pipe. I basically removed the flanges & in their place, I installed the cut out.

Another thing I did is used these things called band clamps I got from Summit Racing. This way, the cut out isn't as permanent as if I welded it & the mid pipe & down pipe can still be separate for maintenance purposes without the need for removing both. Ran for 10 miles so far, no leaks!

Now there's plenty of videos out there for you ear's desire. I actually made one myself showing most of the process of the installation AND of course testing the cut out once it was installed!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.