Billy's 2011 WRX Build Thread (Optimus)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Billy's 2011 WRX Build Thread (Optimus) within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well It's finally here guys and gals, my build thread! Bare with me here, due to the nature of money ...

I Support ClubWRX

Billy's 2011 WRX Build Thread (Optimus)

Well It's finally here guys and gals, my build thread! Bare with me here, due to the nature of money this will be a VERY SLOW build. But follow along with me as I document the life and build of my new daily driver. So lets get started!

A little bit of background: My previous cars have been a 1984 z28 Camaro with a built 5.7L, a 2005 Maroon Dodge Dakota 3.7L, and a 2006 Silver Dodge Dakota 4 3.7L door with all the bells and whistles (except I facked up and didn't get the 4.7L like I should have in the first place). I also Currently own a 2007 Suzuki SV650S which becomes my daily diver for 6 months out of the year (Picture Here). This is my first Subaru and I'm loving every bit of it. There will be a bit of a learning curve for me but I've been doing an absurd amount of research to find the exact setup I'm going to be shooting for. Anyhow, I bought my 2011 WRB WRX Sedan back in September (2013) and I don't regret any bit of my first massive purchase. Now lets get to the important stuff.

Below is my parts list, current, pending, and future plans. Again, keep in mind this build is going to be slow. I'm hoping to be able to get my car to where I want it in about 2 years but we will see how that goes. You never know what could happen I guess!

Current Setup

Exterior/Engine Bay Dress-up
    De-badged trunk
    18% tint all around
    5% front windshield visor
    Perrin short antenna
    RallyArmor Mudflaps Black w/Red lettering
    GrimmSpeed Red Alternator Cover
    Perrin Radiator shroud (Red)
    SPT Carbon Fiber Trunk Trim
    JDM Red Tail Light Blinker Overlays
    JDM Subaru Emblem Overlays
    GrimmSpeed Turbo Heat Shield
    Limited Edition Black WRX quarter panel badges
    Flat Black JDM Chrome Window Trim Delete

Interior
    SMY ClusterMaker Dual Gauge Pod
    DeFi Analog Boost Gauge (Red)
    Innovate LC-2 Wideband A/F Sensor and DB Gauge (Red)
    Blue foot well illumination Kit
    Subaru all weather floor mats
    Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS

Engine/Powertrain
    Opensource Tuned By Dom @ Turn in Concepts
    IAT relocate to just before throttle body
    Cobb RAM intake w/ Airbox
    Invidia High Flow Catted Downpipe w/extra Bung
    Invidia Q300 Quad Titanium Tipped Cat Back Exhaust

On Order/Pending Install

Build Plans

Engine/Powertrain
    Next "staged" setup to go in all at once, not any time soon
    TMIC - ProcessWest, GrimmSpeed, or Mishimoto
    Aftermarket Fully Recirculating Bypass Valve
    DeatschWerks Fuel Pump - Likely DW56c
    Fuel Injectors - Likely ID1000's

Interior
    Overland Shifter Boot
    Overland Ebrake Boot
    Alcantera Wrapping

Exterior/Engine Bay Dress-up
    Hella Supertone Horns in Red
    GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocate
    Perrin License Plate Delete
    ForceWerkz Front Lip

Suspension/Wheels
    RCE Black Springs
    Koni Yellow Adjustable Struts
    Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake lines
    Whiteline Sway Bars (24 front - 22 rear)
    Kartboy Endlinks

Drivetrain
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Kartboy Shifter Bushing Kit
    WC Lathe Werks Custom Shift Knob
    Pitch Stop Mount
    Transmission Mount
    Subframe Lockdown Bushings
    Differential Lockdown Bushings
    Cusco Power Steering Rack Brace
    Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings

This is the night I got it up in Toledo:

And this is how it currently sits:

Here is my tune graph:
    Last edited by McBill; 09-12-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Car looks awesome, could you post a pic of the interior footwell lights though? I had them in my old car, but I was on the fence about putting them in the WRX.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kite991 View Post
    Car looks awesome, could you post a pic of the interior footwell lights though? I had them in my old car, but I was on the fence about putting them in the WRX.
    Sure thing, I'll snap you some pics tonight for you. They aren't terribly bright and adjust with the dash lights.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kite991 View Post
    Sorry for the bad quality, taken from my cell phone but this is what they look like at night. first pic is passenger second is driver.

Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey all, Just got back from the holiday vacation this week and had some parts waiting for me. Now added to the parts install party come spring is a red Perrin Radiator shroud and a GrimmSpeed turbo heat shield. Also, I kick started my Stage 2 parts accumulation with a GrimmSpeed EBCS .
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Had some fun in the snow today with my buddy and his evo. Here are some of the pictures we got. Ill post a GoPro video compilation when I get it uploaded to youtube.

Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Well installed a full set of mudflaps yesterday. The front was pretty easy because I just used the original mounting hardware from the previous set that were on there, took all of 15 minutes including adjustment time. The rears were a different ballgame. For starters, I knew I was going to run into this problem so I ordered a package of those paneling clips a few months back. What I didn't realize was how hard it was actually going to be.

For a bit of background, I found these bold studs and bolts in all places that there are supposed to be those little black panel clips on each of the rear fender well/wheel well (pictures below). I don't know why or even how, but someone thought it would be a good idea to replace those panel clips with some nuts and bolts... Thankfully they were not very tight. I could take most of them off with my hands with some outward pressure so the bolt would stay in place and not rotate. But the inside clip holes were not so easy. Those were somewhat tight and with no way to actually get to the inside of the panel piece I didn't know where to go from there. Well, after a bit of playing with things to see what might work and a healthy handful of curse words, I came up with an idea. So I removed all nuts I could with my hand and pushed the bolts into the fender support box. I then had my roommate pull on the fender just enough to get my hand inside the crack with a miniature open ended wrench to secure the bolt from moving. I was then able to, very uncomfortably and very slowly, loosen the nuts.

After that fiasco, everything went on nice and smooth. The mounting hardware for the rear mudflaps were easy and simple to install. I also re-installed the fender support box the PROPER way with the new plastic clips, unlike the brainless $hit$ that thought it was okay to put nuts and bolts their instead. How they did it, I have not a clue but it is fixed and doesn't look like crap anymore.

TL;DR - Some dumba$$ thought it was a good idea to replace the plastic fender clips with virtually inaccessible nuts and bolts. After much cursing the bolts are off, mudflaps are on, and proper fender clips have been installed.

Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Digging the RA mud flaps, I installed mine a few weeks ago. Not to big of a PITA but the rear sucks especially if you don't take the wheels off like I did.
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_WRX View Post
    Digging the RA mud flaps, I installed mine a few weeks ago. Not to big of a PITA but the rear sucks especially if you don't take the wheels off like I did.
    It wouldn't have been too bad if the DA before me didn't replace all those clips with nuts and bolts... -.-
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Can't wait for spring to come! I have a parts pile that keeps growing and some nice plans to go stage 2! :woot:
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Rotated ratcheting screw driver takes care of this problem
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
    Rotated ratcheting screw driver takes care of this problem
    Thanks for the tip. I probably would have thought about that if I had one of those haha. Either way I fixed it and made sure it was done properly.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok everyone, finally got a chance to pull all the footage together from our parking lot snow drifting a month ago! Here it is!

Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX

3-21-14

Well, I ended up getting some extra time today and with the beautiful weather I couldn't pass up a chance to put some of the things that have been sitting around, on my WRX. So today I was able to install my vinyl emblem overlays, my rear blinker overlays, my SPT truck trim, my GrimmSpeed alternator cover, my Perrin radiator shroud, and I was able to debadge the trunk. The rear really looks different to me and I love it . I was also able to clean up a bit of the salt residue from winter in the engine bay. I will be washing the whole engine bay here in a couple months.

Unfortunately I was not able to get to the heat shield, the chrome trim deletes and the black fender well badges. Those will come on another nice day.

So here are some pictures from today's endeavors! Enjoy!

Started as a pile:

This is the engine bay before mild cleaning and parts install:

This is the engine bay after parts and a bit of cleaning (I accidentally left a screwdriver in there, whoops) :

This is the rear end before:

And After :

Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Looks real good dude! Love the blue and red. BTW where did you get the emblem overlays? I'm looking for black and white for my swp. Also the fender badges, I needs!
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast