Scrappy Doo - My 2013 WRX hatch
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Scrappy Doo - My 2013 WRX hatch within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey yall, Bought with ~12.5k miles with no mods. Figured it's time I finally put together a build thread on ...

I Support ClubWRX

Scrappy Doo - My 2013 WRX hatch

Hey yall,

Bought with ~12.5k miles with no mods. Figured it's time I finally put together a build thread on my project. Want to document my work and see what everybody thinks and get some input. I've seen alot of cool things and great info on this site so thanks to all of you for the inspiration.

So far, I have done the following...

Updated: May 13, 2015

Powertrain:
    Invidia Q300 Catback Exhaust
    Cobb Catted Downpipe
    DEI Titanium Heat Wrap (DP)
    Cobb Turbo Heat Shield
    PTP Turbo Blanket, Black
    Cobb Accessport Stage 2 tune (93 Octane)

Driveline:
    Whiteline Rear Diff Positive Power Inserts
    Katboy Pitch Stop Mount

Suspension:
    Whiteline Front Sway Bar (22mm adjustable)
    Whiteline Rear Sway Bar (22mm adjustable)
    Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks

Brakes:
    Stoptech Stainless Steel Lines
    Motul RBF600 Fluid
    Stock Rotors and Pads

Exterior:
    Rally Armor Mudflaps
    27% Window Tint
    Orange and Black JDM Badge Emblems
    Carbon Fiber Front Fender Badges
    Carbon Fiber Front License Plate Bar delete

Interior:
    'Mammoth' Shift Knob from Anarchy Motive

Tires:
    Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (234/45ZR17)

Future plans:
    Kartboy Short Shift Kit (w/ Bushings)
    Wheels (Enkei, OZ Racing, SSR) something lightweight and black
    Misc Suspension and Driveline Bushings - tighten/stiffen things up
    Last edited by jfisch822; 05-13-2015 at 05:58 AM.
    My Build Thread - "Scrappy Doo" 2013 Subaru WRX Hatch
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-hatch.html

"We're far from having too much horsepower...my definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    As it sits now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_1425589698275.jpg  

Looks good, lower the monster truck though!
    2007 Satin White Pearl STI
    Cobb OTS Stage 2 Map... Not for long
    2007 SWP STI Build Thread

Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    2014 WRX Hatch Build Thread - SOLD
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    fantastic build and that car looks sick!

love the color my man!

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Love the ISM!
    Mine is a 13 ISM sedan.
    Check out my build thread.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Love the ISM!
    Mine is a 13 ISM sedan.
    Check out my build thread.
    Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks I appreciate it.

I've been admiring alot of builds on this site and yours is definitely one of them. Love it man, good work. Ice Silver

"We're far from having too much horsepower...my definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear."

I Support ClubWRX
    Side by side comparison of new carbon fiber vs OE fender badges
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	190753

Before - OEM Silver plastic fender badge (and super dirty fender)

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	190769

After - Carbon Fiber Fender Badge with Silver Vinyl

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	190761
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0129.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^ Also Carbon Fiber plate bar delete with orange vinyl. And vinyl decal rebadge for the emblem (and I got the matching one for the rear and the steering wheel badge).

Installed all of these cosmetics back in like november but finally getting around to posting the pictures.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also back in October I got the Rally Armor urethane mudflaps and immediately proceeded to test them out. very happy with practical result and the look. Makes the car look more aggressive and a bit wider. And it is a rally car after all

Name:	IMG_0975.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	190929
    Last edited by jfisch822; 03-24-2015 at 11:50 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I bought the Cobb V3 Access port back in Dec 14, and flashed the car to stage 1 93 octane with only performance/powertrain mod being the Invidia q300 catback exhaust. Drove the car as stage 1 with this setup for about 4 months before going stage 2 recently. Here's my thoughts.

First, love the Invidia Q300 with stainless tips. Sounds beautiful. Its not too loud like the N1 or some other systems but gives a nice rumble and shows off the engine. The 4 huge tips look great on the back of the car. **I promise I'll post a picture soon** The pipe is obviously very high quality with great welds. For install I rolled the rear end up on ramps and the exhaust took about an hour to install on my own. I was in love the minute I cranked it up. I got the CBE used in great condition with just a few thousand miles on it for a steal at $650, couldn't be happier.

The Cobb v3 AP. Stage one flash at about 15k miles (Dec 14). This did WONDERS for the car over the stock tune. I can't believe the car didn't come like this from the factory. Boost was hitting around 17 psi. Power was smooth all the way to redline and pulls hard all the way to 6500rpm. Large improvement in low end torque as well. It feels like the turbo spools hard and sooner in the revs too. I love the heads up display for tracking and watching various things, especially as a boost gauge until I get a serious one.

I Support ClubWRX
    This past weekend I finally went to Stage 2. I have been driving around on stage 1 for about 4 months now. I wasn't in a hurry to go stage 2 but found a used Cobb Catted DP for sale on a local forum for a great deal and couldn't pass it up. The used pipe had only ~6000 miles on it.

Here's the condition of the pipe when I received it.

Attachment 191233

Attachment 191249

Attachment 191241

I Support ClubWRX
    I decided to heat wrap the pipe. After some research I went with DEI titanium heat wrap. I have experience wrapping headers with the fiber glass and copper stuff and that stuff sucks to work with! The titanium wrap doesnt require soaking or gloves to work with. Its very pliable but does require kevlar shears to cut. It will frey very easily so be careful. I bought the 2" wide by 50' and used about half to wrap the pipe. I used 8 inch stainless steel ties to hold it in place (have to connect two of them to reach all the way around). During the process I used plastic zip ties and duct tape to position the wrap while I worked and gradually replaced with the steel ties. Took about 30 minutes of patient work to wrap the whole thing. Here's how it came out.

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	191289
    Last edited by jfisch822; 03-27-2015 at 07:07 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The install of the downpipe itself was pretty simple. First need to remove the stock heat shield. I believe it was 8 bolts/screws with 10mm socket. This exposes the stock downpipe and turbo as seen here.

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	191273

Removing the mounting brackets for the heat shield is actually a bit more difficult, one of them had to be bent to get it out. I believe the mount had to be taken out from the bottom. Save these because one of the brackets had to be reused with the aftermarket heat shield. I decided to use the Cobb heat shield for a cleaner look instead of trying to modify the stock shield.

Once the heat shield is off the stock downpipe can be removed. Start by removing the 5 bolts that connect the dp to the turbo and work your way down the pipe to the midpipe. Remove mounts from the transmission and finally disconnect from the exhaust. Gotta unclip the O2 sensor.

Once out here is a side by side of the new and old pipe

Name:	IMG_0958.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	191281

I Support ClubWRX
    New pipe goes in the reverse of how you got the old one out. Position it on the studs on the turbo and get the transmission bracket lined up. I used a new gasket at the DP to turbo connection and the exhaust. These were relatively cheap and worth it to me. In retrospect I probably should have put anti seize on the bolts/nuts for the turbo/dp connection but it slipped my mind. Oops. Finally the new heat shield is a little cumbersome to install simply because of where the 3 mounting points are located but the final result was a nice clean finish. I should note that I didn't have to take the intercooler completely off the car to do this job but it was helpful to just loosen it. You'll notice the connection near the turbo I just took these bolts off and replaced them after.

Here's the final look from in the engine bay before and after installing the heat shield

Name:	IMG_0961b.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	191337

I Support ClubWRX
    As for tuning. I am running a Cobb Accessport V3 with a Stage2 map for 93 Octane. The car runs great with the new downpipe and map. Not a huge jump in a power over the stage 1 but definitely noticeably more power. More noticeable is how much more smoothly and freely it revs and the turbo spools more quickly. Alot more torque and smoother power build in lower revs. The engine also revs down better and more freely. The sound isn't any louder but a bit lower tone and throatier. Max boost I've seen is around 18.5 psi. Usually peaks around high 17s on hard pulls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0960.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.