08-14 Fender Garnish Trim Install

This is a discussion on 08-14 Fender Garnish Trim Install within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I did not see one of these on here so I figured I would go ahead an make one ...

I Support ClubWRX

Post 08-14 Fender Garnish Trim Install

Well I did not see one of these on here so I figured I would go ahead an make one after my endeavors today.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR CAR BY YOU AS A RESULT OF YOU ATTEMPTING TO MODIFY YOUR CAR. I AM SIMPLY PROVIDING GUIDELINES AND SUGGESTIONS AS HOW TO GO ABOUT INSTALLING THESE PARTS.

This is a quick tutorial as to the install of the ever so popular Limited Edition Black WRX/STI fender badges. This is a fairly simple process and takes no more than 45 minutes.

All you need is a heat gun or a hair dryer (preferable a hair dryer), some paper towels, Goo-Gone, water in a spray bottle, and some paper towels.

First you will need to very carefully pop the fender garnish out of place. This is held in by six plastic pieces and also by the trim at the bottom of the car. We will not be removing this all the way so you do not need to remove the trim. You will, however, need to open the door to pry the side of the fender that is in the door jam.

Next you need to VERY Conservatively apply heat to the OEM Emblem. This is where you need to be very careful. Too much heat will melt the plastic fender. Which is why I suggested using a hair dryer instead of a heat gun, like I used. I learned that the hard way and I'll show pictures of that later. All you are trying to accomplish here is heat up the sticky pad on the back side of the emblem so that it is easier to separate the emblem from the fender. Once you have applied a little bit of heat begin to VERY GENTLY peel the corner of the emblem from the fender. Be very careful not to apply too much force here as you do not want to crack your fender. If it is too difficult and will not separate then you need to apply a little more heat. Keep applying heat in small increments until the emblem begins to come off. Once the emblem begins to come off apply heat to the unheated area that is beginning to separate, again conservatively, until the emblem comes off entirely.

Now that your OEM emblem is off you can begin to try and take the sticky pad off. It is inevitable that there will be residue and some of the pad left on the fender. Removing this properly takes diligence and patience. I applied heat to the pads to help speed up the process, and this is where I applied a little too much heat and slightly disfigured my fender. Once the pad was warm I began to roll the majority of what was left off with my thumb. Until It was all removed. Notice how there is still some sticky residue on there.

This is the result of my applying too much heat to the fender. And with my heat gun, too much heat was a matter of applying heat for less than 5 seconds. This is what it did, not terrible but I was still not very happy about it. When you install the new emblem this is not nearly as noticeable. None the less, you can avoid this by learning from my mistake.

The remaining residue, as seen above, can be removed by applying some Goo-Gone onto a paper towel and rubbing it onto the area's that need removing. Let the Goo-Gone sit for about 15 seconds or so and then scrape the residue off with your fingernail. Repeat the process until there are no signs of any residue left. Once all is removed, spray the area with water and spray a fresh paper towel with water to remove the remaining Goo-Gone. Be sure to clean the area very diligently as we do not want any stray Goo-Gone on there when we install the new emblem. Once everything is clean you should pop the fender back in place to ensure proper alignment of the new emblem when It comes time to install. Let it dry for a few minutes.

Now comes the easy part. Once it is dry, BEFORE TAKING THE TAPE OFF THE BACK OF THE NEW EMBLEM, be sure to test fit it to make sure it fits well in the area and to help with figuring out how to align the part. There are two guides on either side of the emblem so it is fairly difficult to not align this correctly. Once you are assured the emblem will fit take off the tape on the back of the emblem and very carefully stick it on to the fender in the proper location. be sure to apply even pressure to all of the emblem for a good 30 seconds. Then let it sit for an hour before driving anywhere.

There you have it, hope this is helpful to some as I have not found an install video or thread on this yet. below is a good before and after of the emblem. Thanks for following along! Hope I didn't bore you too much!

-Billy

2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Great detailed write up...just how I remember it!

Yessss I'm doing this tomorrow, mine came in the mail today
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    rice write up. but to play it safe I would just take side panel off in case someone gets carried away with the heat gun
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Great detailed write up...just how I remember it!
    Quote Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
    Yessss I'm doing this tomorrow, mine came in the mail today
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    rice write up. but to play it safe I would just take side panel off in case someone gets carried away with the heat gun
    Either way the piece you are taking off is plastic unfortunately. The quarter panel that is above this piece is metal. And I did not have any problems with the heat gun on the metal parts.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Sory didn't mean rice meant nice. I just worry someone would leave the heat gun / hair dryer a little to long and blister the paint but that's a guess never seen it happen just imagine the worse.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Sory didn't mean rice meant nice. I just worry someone would leave the heat gun / hair dryer a little to long and blister the paint but that's a guess never seen it happen just imagine the worse.

I actually just pulled my stock garnish off without heat after the car had been sitting in the sun...Then scraped the leftover two sided foam tape out and stuck the new ones on there...Didn't remove any of the fender pieces...took about 15 min lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I actually just pulled my stock garnish off without heat after the car had been sitting in the sun...Then scraped the leftover two sided foam tape out and stuck the new ones on there...Didn't remove any of the fender pieces...took about 15 min lol.
    Wow, I tired to pull mine off without any heat (it was only 70 today) and the OEM emblem on the side I didn't take pictures of came off in pieces. I broke down and used the heat gun. All in all, I would not recommend using the heat gun. Maybe a hair dryer instead or even just doing it like you did and let it sit in the sun for a while. probably safer for the fender as opposed to the way I did it. Since it obviously disfigured my fender .

I should add that I used the heat gun on my badge removal and I applied a pretty significant amount of heat. Hot enough to the point that if i touched the metal it would burn my fingers. However the nice thing about this heat gun is that it has a high and a low setting. I definitely used the low setting for both. The high would be way too much.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14