Subaru WRX Forum banner

Datalogging with Romraider:

105K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  mycologist 
#1 · (Edited)
I wrote this thread to help those using the Romraider program get started on data-logging. I am by far not an expert at using Romraiders software but however I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night so I do feel qualified in creating this document:). The Romraider software and FAQ's can be found here
RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider along with a very supportive and informative forum to boot. Datalogging your vehicle is completely harmless and is one of the most essential tools in modern ECU tuning. For those interested in learning to tune their own vehicle learning to datalog and use the Romraider datalogging program is one of the first basic steps before actually modding the ECU's ROM (aka: map).

First and foremost we will start on the basis that you have properly installed the appropriate software and have obtained the proper cable. You must have Ecuflash installed to use the Tactrix cable as the software contains the drivers and not Romraider! The diagnostic connectors are not required to be mated in order to datalog. Make sure you follow the instructions for installing the defintions 100%!!! If you have Vista or Windows 7 the programs must be installed as an "administrator" and make sure the latest version of java is installed and the earlier versions deleted! Also make sure the program is not running off your desktop! It needs to be fully installed on the "c" drive. You also need to tell Romraider and Ecuflash where the definitions are stored! First boot up your lap top. For long logging sessions I use a small 400w power invertor to keep the laptop from draining its battery. Plug the USB end into the laptop then the OBD II connector into the diagnostic port under the dash.

Start the vehicle and then Open the logger program by clicking the the Romraider logger icon. Select the appropriate COM port. If your not sure which port to select then select a data tab from the list and select each available port one by one until data shows up in the right hand data screen. Also in the right hand upper corner there should be a blue dot and text saying "connected to ECU". If it's a red dot saying "connecting to ECU" then your not connected.

Once the cable is connected you can select your data from the list on the left hand side. Let the car fully warm up. For a general all around log I would log the following parameters:

feedback knock correction
fine knock correction
IAM
engine speed
engine load
manifold relative pressure direct
injector duty cycle
wastegate duty cycle
target boost
IAT
mass air flow
Lc-1 (or other wideband) or AFR sensor #1 (factory front O2)
A/F Learning #1 (%)

This will give you a pretty good basic idea of whats going on. You can log other parameters if you want. You don't want to log every single parameter you can. Just remember the more you log,the less resolution you will get in the log. Only so much information can pass at one time. If I have a specific problem I will log only parameters that pertain to that problem and will not log others. Also you can monitor when certain solenoids,relays and other switches are activated by selecting them in the "ECU Switches" tab. You can see when fan relays,IACV and TGV motors are activated. In order to merge wideband into your log you will have to go to the "plugins" tab,select your wideband and then go to the "external sensors" tab and select your wideband again.

Now go to the "settings" tab and select "Control File Logging With Defrost Switch". This will allow you to start and stop the logging using the defroster switch! You generally want to do a 3 gear pull from about 2000-2500rpm to 7000rpm. This is my disclaimer!! IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY,NOT MINE, to find a way to do this legally and safely!! Also since that tab is open select "Logger File Output Location". This is where you want the logs to be stored.

By selecting from the "file" tab "save profile" you can save the parameters as a group and load them all at once next time you log.

See less See more
Reactions: TheJ
#2 · (Edited)
So now you have gone out and logged your car, what do all those numbers mean? Well the most important numbers upfront are gonna come from the IAM plus the knock and A/F corrections. For the 16 bit ECU's (02-05 WRX's) the IAM should always be at it's max value of 16. For the 32 bit ECU's (04+ STI/ 05+ Legacy GT/ 06+ WRX) the IAM's max value is 1. If those numbers are anything smaller the ECU is not happy and a knock event has happened. For Feedback and Fine Learning Knock Correction there should be no negative numbers. For the fuel trims you want to see numbers between 5% and -5% with zero being optimal. Between 10% and -10 isn't to bad but anything past that I would start to worry about. Negative numbers mean fuel is being subtracted and positive numbers mean fuel is being added.

Engine Load and Engine RPM are the "X" and "Y" axis of the timing and fueling maps (along with alot of other maps). They are important to help pinpoint where and when a problem is or isn't. To give you an idea of what the maps look like:

Injector duty cycle is important to give you an indea of how much injector headroom you have. Generally anything over 90% means it's time for bigger injectors and probably a fuel pump upgrade. Injector duty cycle is expressed as a percentage for easy interpretation but is not a true representation of a percent. It's not uncommon to see a duty cycle over 100% due to how it's calculated by the ECU.

Wastegate duty cycle represent the duty cycle of the boost control solenoid. It along with manifold relative pressure direct (this is your "boost gauge" basically) and target boost will give you plenty of information on whether or you your boost is on target unless your running an MBC. If you overboosting or underboosting these are the general parameters that let you know. IAT (Intake Air Temperature) also comes into play here as the stock ECU has wastegate duty compensation per IAT. Mass Air Flow can be used as a good rough indacator of how much WHP your making. Rough rule of thumb is 1 g/s = 1 whp. So hopefulley this is "How To" was somewhat useful and helped answer some questions. The links below can provide you with more detailed and insightful information.

RomRaider • View topic - Subaru's knock control strategy explained
RomRaider • View topic - Turbo dynamics and boost control explained
RomRaider • View topic - How To: Make useful data logs
RomRaider • View topic - Injector Duty Cycle
RomRaider • View topic - How To: Understand And Use Learning View's Knock Information

Reactions: TheJ
#5 ·
No problem guys! I know alot of these programs can be some what intimadating to the lack of a "users manual" or said instructions. I still have not used all the functions of Romraider or Ecuflash myself and discover new stuff every day about the features in the programs.

#7 ·
I'm still slow but just wondering what margin of error to specify for knock correction. I agree the idea is 0 and the IAM should be pegged. But my impression is that generic maps may pull some timing on a significant percentage of cars and that in some cases even on good cars expecting zeros everywhere all the time is not tenable on completely customized tunes dependent on gas quality. Even if the IAM is pegged you can see -4 degrees in spots on occasion.

I have read various opinions - not more than -1.xx fine learning knock correction as you would see in the table with learning view (IIRC -1.05 is one knock event on 16 bit with no re-advance and you can change the increment so .01 digits will accumulate as a knock counter for 16 bit cars with no knock sum). Or no more than 2 FLKC. Or no more than ~-2 in high loads pulled total (this makes most sense to me) or anywhere else (which may/may not include false knock at low loads).

#8 · (Edited)
-1 isn't bad but anything -2 or over that is consistent is bad. Like you said,you can get "road noise" or vibration transmission through the chassis and some how the knock sensor picks it up. Or an DP banging on an engine bracket or rock hitting the block. Thats why I say consistent. Usually if I run Learning View and it shows some undesirable knock I will then actually log the car and see if it matches the Learning View. This is why the Car PC craze is building up more steam with the performance enthusiasts side. I could care less about watching a movie or playing video games in my car but the ability to log and monitor custom engine functions without dragging in my laptop everytime is where its at. I have a PSI3 but it is somewhat limited and I don't get to pick what I want to monitor. All I can monitor is knock correction advance as far as that goes.

#9 ·
I've installed all the software and uploaded a custom tune. But I'm not able to sync with ECU for logging.

I've looked at my device manager and in the logger I only have an option for com port 3. Also thats what it told me was activated when the driver installed.

I don't know what to do.

#11 · (Edited)
I've read through the FAQ's and tried changing com ports and but when I open the logger down at the bottome left hand side of the screen it says "Error:eek:rg.xml.sax.SAXParseException:content is not allowed in prolog"

I have no idea what this means and I can't get the program to see the ECU

The editor and flasher seem to work fine. I've opened maps and flashed the car but can't log.

Also, when I hook up to the car the error message goes away then it says can't send ECU init and it just searches for the ECU but will never connect.

We can cure cancer and send people to the moon but it's such an obstacle to make software that is compatible with all computers and operating systems! This pisses me off.

#15 · (Edited)
"To install the logger definitions (RomRaider versions 0.5.1b and later):

• Download the latest logger definitions file available HERE. Download the file of the units you prefer (either metric or standard).
  • Unzip the logger.xml file into your main RomRaider directory (or in another directory of your choice where it is unlikely to be moved or deleted).
  • Run Romraider’s logger (“Logger” → “Launch ECU Logger”) and select “Settings” → “Logger Definition Location” from the menu bar.
  • Select the location of the unzipped logger.xml file. "
It's all about following instructions people...............

#16 ·
thanks Donkey! tatrix is on its way tomorrow with a buddy and his 02! however, my eugo didnt show for the weekend. so just my first logs for kTwn and me. should be fun learning, and thanks again for the resource pool!

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.