OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix within the Tuning: Electronic Engine Management forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; There seems to be increasing misinformation/questions about how Opensource tuning software works. This is just an overview to give a ...

I Support ClubWRX

OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix

There seems to be increasing misinformation/questions about how Opensource tuning software works. This is just an overview to give a general understanding of what the software actually does or can do as opposed to a "how do I tune?"guide or how to use the software. Included are links to info about getting started using Opensource software and other information for those curious to learn more about self tuning. The links below are Subaru based tuning in general and not just limited too only Opensource tuning software.

For the most part Opensource software is no different than Cobb's Accessport or Ecutek. Your laptop, along with the purchase of a Tactrix cable, is basically used as the Accessport. The AP is better suited for those that want a very straight forward "plug and play" solution. The Opensource stuff does take a little more computer know how and a little more patience but is a great solution. Just because you choose to go the Opensource route it does not mean you have to tune your own car from scratch. This seems to be on of the bigger "misconception/myths" out there as far as Opensource software is concerned.

There are free premade base maps available on Romraiders site (in the "base map" subforum) or XPT's forums (you need to register first to have access) but they are use at your own risk. You can also have a tuner dynotune or roadtune your car using Opensource,which then they will install the final map for you. Or you can purchase premade custom maps from professional tuners to use as well that usually include remote support. This is know as "E-tuning/remote tuning". You can load the map,take some datalogs and then send them back to the tuner. The tuner can then analyze the logs to see if there are any potential problems. If so then the tuner can retweak the map and send the newly modified map back to you.These maps are generally much more reliable than Cobb's OTS maps as they are more custom suited for your car. It is imperative to make sure you vehicles battery is in tip-top shape as well as your laptop before trying to flash your vehicle. I generally have my laptop plugged in to a 120v outlet when I flash. Also I highly suggest reading all of the FAQ's on Romraider's website before flashing your car! Make sure you fully understand the possible risks of flashing your vehicle and understand completely the procedure!

There are also very cool utility/spreadsheets that can be used for those interested in tuning on their own. These utility/spreadsheets help make the tuning process easier and are helpful in finding potential problems. There is the ability to create a "road dynagraph" from your logs as well as boost graphs,AFR graphs,timing......what ever info you want to plot! Very cool for fine tuning! Also there is a down and dirty Newbie tuning guide available on NASIOC created by Bad Noodle. It is recommended to have a good set of gauges. Boost/Vac(psi/inHg),EGT and oil pressure. Wideband is highly recommended for any engine management but crucial for self tuning. I highly suggest reading as much info as possible before just jumping into tuning on your own. Please read the info first,then ask questions!

Software:
    Romraider (editor/logger) www.romraider
    Ecuflash (editor/flash utility) Main Page - OpenECU
    Ecuexplorer (logger/flash utility)
    Ecuedit (editor/logger/flash utility) ecuEdit • Index page
    Virtual Dyno http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2157391

Hardware:
    tactrix
    EvoScan OBDII Mitsubishi MUTII DataLogger Scantool

Tuning/user info:

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / ECU
    A Complete Tuning Guide - NASIOC
    RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | Documentation / Rom Raider FAQ
    RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | Documentation / Tuning FAQ
    RomRaider/Ecuflash getting started FAQ - NASIOC
    RomRaider • View forum - Tuning Utilities and Spreadsheets
    RomRaider • View forum - How-To Guides
    RomRaider • View forum - Base Maps
    RomRaider • View topic - Turbo dynamics and boost control explained
    RomRaider • View topic - Subaru's knock control strategy explained
    RomRaider • View topic - Closed Loop to Open Loop fueling transition explained
    OPENSOURCE HOW TO: Flash your ecu useing opensource software - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums
    YouTube - How to flash a map to your Subaru using EcuFlash
    OSecuroms & XPT Tuning •Index page
    02 Open Source NO Programming Voltage - NASIOC
    programming voltage is 4.2 volts programming voltage is too ECU FLASH ERROR - NASIOC
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2277357
    Books:
    Amazon.com: How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems (Motorbooks Workshop) (9780760315828): Jeff Hartman: Books
    Amazon.com: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (9781932494426): Greg Banish: Books
    Amazon.com: Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance) (9780837601601): Corky Bell: Books
    Amazon.com: Turbo: Real-World High-Performance Turbocharger Systems (S-A Design) (9781932494297): Jay K. Miller: Books

Misc Tuning info:
    Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    Full DIY: GM solenoid install (56k warning) - NASIOC
    new hybrid mbc/ebc method of boost control - NASIOC
    RomRaider • View topic - 16bit Boost Control
    RomRaider • View topic - Help me steady my boost during spool
    RomRaider • View topic - gm bcs tunning help
    RomRaider • View topic - FMIC tuning.. Anybody?
    RomRaider • View topic - Tuning for a larger TMIC
    RomRaider • View topic - How to tell if turbo efficiency is maxed?
    How to adjust your wastegate arm - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums
    Aftermarket Boost Control Solenoids - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums
    Questions regarding GMBCS - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-...es-s/70675.htm
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...ost-creep.html
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1914025
    How Subaru’s Factory Boost Control System Works - COBB Forums
    RomRaider • View topic - Why MBC's?

ATTN: If your post in not related to the topic, it will be removed/deleted. - Rogan
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-19-2013 at 05:18 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    someone sticky this

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

+1 to the sticky.

Wow....its like you were reading my mind....haha. Seriously though, good timing. I'm planning on switching to opensource around thanksgiving, and selling the accessport as soon as the switchover is complete.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I vote Sticky. Thanks a bunch for doing this.

I find that when this comes up many new folks don't understand the basic terminology of what a map is or what a tune or log is. It would be helpful to clarify that as well. Some of that is probably in the "do you need a tune" sticky though.

Also, I think it is worthwhile to make a comparison with the Accessport, however it would be fair to specify specifically how it compares instead of a general statement. I.e. they both serve the same function of flashing a map to your ECU (whether it be a Cobb map or an opensource map). NO maps are guaranteed in terms of they will fix your car if it breaks. There are a number of features that the accesport has for in car monitoring in a portable format etc. while opensource/romraider has advantages for logging.

Last thought, I think it would help a lot if the information on what can be logged or observed with learning view and the basic indicators that a map is running safely were highlighted.

Oh yeah, maybe have Romraider and or Tactrix in the title along with "open source" (vs. opensource) for searching.

... and this is nice for road dynos: Data Log Lab
    Last edited by mycologist; 11-05-2009 at 06:08 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Stuck.

Ron, keep me posted, if I miss clutter in here, I'll delete it. This should be kept ON TOPIC, in my opinion.

Thanks for the great post-it
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Donkey, out of the four books you listed, which would you recommend to start with?
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post

Also, I think it is worthwhile to make a comparison with the Accessport, however it would be fair to specify specifically how it compares instead of a general statement. I.e. they both serve the same function of flashing a map to your ECU (whether it be a Cobb map or an opensource map). NO maps are guaranteed in terms of they will fix your car if it breaks. There are a number of features that the accesport has for in car monitoring in a portable format etc. while opensource/romraider has advantages for logging.

Last thought, I think it would help a lot if the information on what can be logged or observed with learning view and the basic indicators that a map is running safely were highlighted.

Oh yeah, maybe have Romraider and or Tactrix in the title along with "open source" (vs. opensource) for searching.
    I didn't really want to get into comparing to AP because then I have to do Ecutek, Utec,standalones. Alot of that stuff is covered in other stickies here I think and Unabomber's Manafesto. As far as what needs to be logged and stuff I also didn't want to get into explaining to much. Bad Noodle's guide covers alot of this as well as some of Romraider's guides. For most buying a premade map the tuner will tell you what parameters they want logged. The nice think about learning view now is the for the timing the bad numbers are highlighted in red. Maybe I will go back and give a small tutorial like you suggested on how some of the tools work and what to log. The part that most people don't understand is these things will/do take time to learn and you have to invest time in playing with the programs/utilities/spreadsheets in order to use them. It's just like learning to ride a bike or play an instrument. It's not going to happen overnight. The even harder part is there are no real manuals for most of these programs but the Opensource community is very supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by hold fast
    Donkey, out of the four books you listed, which would you recommend to start with?
    Honestly either "Maxium Boost" or "Turbo: Real World High Performance Turbocharging Systems" These books are the basics. If you don't understand how turbocharging systems even work or the components in them,there is no reason to be trying to tune them in my opinion. You gotta to walk before you can run.

Last edited by Donkey; 11-06-2009 at 02:09 PM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    someone sticky this
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan
    Ron, keep me posted, if I miss clutter in here, I'll delete it. This should be kept ON TOPIC, in my opinion.

Thanks for the great post-it
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnapshot
    +1 to the sticky.

Wow....its like you were reading my mind....haha. Seriously though, good timing. I'm planning on switching to opensource around thanksgiving, and selling the accessport as soon as the switchover is complete.
    Thanks guys!!
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you Ron!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Thank you Ron!
    +1

So.... would this be a good spot to talk about creating a boost map, or should I start a new thread?
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

So if your using rom raider... can it understand say a cobb format map to flash to your ecu...

I say this because cobb has their maps open for DL ...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    So if your using rom raider... can it understand say a cobb format map to flash to your ecu...

And that would be theft.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

enough said ... I get the point...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    +1

So.... would this be a good spot to talk about creating a boost map, or should I start a new thread?
    If you could just start a new thread. That way if someone searches it will come up faster. Plus I didn't want to get into too much tuning theory in this thread.Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear

Cobb encodes their maps and there firmware/software uncodes it. With the V1 AP the only way you could look at the maps without Cobb's software was to pull the map directly from the flashed ROM. But with the V2 you can no longer do that. I believe the ECU is "locked" when the Cobb AP is applied/married and "unlocked" when you remove/unmarry it.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    when I had my V1, I could use/look/manipulate the Cobb maps with StreetTuner (which I still have, and reminds me, I should sell it.)
    Otherwise, what Donkey said hold true.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast