Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
ok. Here is what I know.

-ZMAX has a lawsuite against them.
-A friend used it and says it works.
-The car can last a lifetime without ever touching any additives.

I wont use the stuff cuz its probably BS and the car has no use for it anyways. RESTORE is a popular product that actually works, but if the car runs better with it then it means you have problems with the engine and its only a temporary solution. MUGEN also released its own oil additive... that I would trust. (for hondas only though) Now if STi released an oil additive, then it'd probably be worth checking out.

·
2,210 Posts
Marketing spin from their website:

zMax Power System soaks into metals with its micro lubricating molecules for increased horsepower, reduced fuel consumption, and decreased emissions.
As somebody with an engineering degree in metallurgy, this first paragraph alone would steer me away from ever using this product.

-Pace

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
pace said:
Marketing spin from their website:

As somebody with an engineering degree in metallurgy, this first paragraph alone would steer me away from ever using this product.

-Pace
why? please explain :D

·
2,210 Posts
They claim that the 'system soaks into metals'. I hope they are trying to communicate that it simply coats engine components and does a good job of moving into the interfaces between distinct components to form a lubricating film. If any of the metallics used in our engines have a surface porosity that will permit molecular inclusion of lubricating fluids, then I would say that the relative merit of engine additives such as this is the least of our concerns.

Next time your oil level is low, just remember that it's because it got 'soaked up' by your [insert metallic component of choice here]. :rolleyes:

Just my 2c.

-Pace

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Yeah, their commercial imples that is "soaks" is at a molecular level - that is, the zmax molecules are smaller than the spaces between the metal molecules. You're right, probably a bunch of bovine doo-doo.

Remember that the big oil companies (and even the smaller niche ones like Redline and Amsoil) invest millions and even billions in R&D. These companies know how to properly lubricate a motor. Thes companies with their infomercials may be on to something, but likely they're selling snake oil!

·
Registered
21 Posts
pace said:

Next time your oil level is low, just remember that it's because it got 'soaked up' by your [insert metallic component of choice here]. :rolleyes:

Just my 2c.

-Pace
Yeah. I think that oil soak is the reason why I have to keep adding a quart of oil a month to my old Chevy pick up. Now if I can just figure out what's causing that dark spot on my driveway.....

Alin

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought it and ran it for the hell of it in the WRX. No change. I would never do it again. But, my reasoning was that if the FAA aproves it, it has to be some good ish, because the are very restrictive on what you can run in an aircraft engine.

Andy

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
ProdriveMS said:

Yeah. I think that oil soak is the reason why I have to keep adding a quart of oil a month to my old Chevy pick up. Now if I can just figure out what's causing that dark spot on my driveway.....

Alin
LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts