Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this pipe actually tapers and is more narrow than the stock pipe, could this be a simple fix to those with JDM intakes like myself?

Here's my logic:
The MAF sensor triggers the CEL due to the oversized inner diameter of the intake inlet pipe. So if it's oversized compared to stock, the MAF feels that the volume of air flow is too much, and is technically moving slower that stock (I'm assuming it measures overall velocity). Installing the ZeroSports intake pipe, by design, would narrow the path of air travelled, thus creating a quicker air flow, and hopefully cure the MAF issue.

So am I on to something or am I completely off?

Can someone verify or shoot down this logic?
-MAF doesn't like my JDM intake because the inner diameter is too big = slow moving air (more air doesn't mean faster?)
-ZeroSports pipe is more smooth (alluminum), narrow and replaces the ridged rubber section of the stock intake, to provide a better flow of air

Even though my CEL's been gone for a few days, I'm pretty sure it'll come back. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

B

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. I just thought that the ZeroSports pipe would make a difference and would change the level of turbulence in my A'PEXi Power Intake. Inside the the A'PEXi inlet pipe, there are hooks/tabs below the location of the MAF sensor that act as 'turbulence hooks' to help create venturi effect. This intake is for the JDM GDB Impreza (STi). Anyway, wouldn't a more narrow intake pipe create a little more pressure around the MAF pin? That's what I was thinking...

B

Si2WRX said:
I think what makes most of the difference is what is before the MAF and not after.

Which intake is giving you a CEL?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts