Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about the zerosport 160 degree thermostat? It is like $80. Here is the sales blurb.

"This radiator thermostat from Zero Sports opens at 160 degrees F (71 C) instead of the stock thermostat's 172 F. Zero Sports explains:

"The temperature that brings out the best performance from EJ20 turbo is 70C-80C. The stock thermostat opens at 78C and the water circulates after it has become too hot, so it increases beyond 80c during hard driving, causing substantial loss of power."

Other performance thermostats open at 154 F, which can cause the engine to run TOO cold -- if the car never leaves warm-up mode, you'll see bad gas mileage and reduced performance. The Zero Sports Cool Thermo's 160-degree setting is just right for street driving AND performance use."

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Back when performance chips first became popular with the domestic crowd (Hypertech chips with the GM folks) they were usually sold in conjunction with a thermostat to ensure proper engine operating temperature for the most power...

Don't remember much about whether they worked or not because I was still a carbureted/nos injecting/Ford 9" rear having/front wheel pulling neanderthal Mustang driver at the time. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
THe hypertec chips / ecu remaps work alright! I installed both the thermostat and the ECU upgrade at the same time in my 1999 Formula Firebird. The car was an automatic and the modification gave it so much power that it would chirp 3rd gear when floored. HUGE torque difference! The thermostat is just one of those mods that helps out in addition to other mods. I wouldn't spend over $30 on it unless your REALLY into the racing scene.

<=> Darksaga

1 - 4 of 4 Posts