Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am considering buying a wrx for my first car, and am saving up money, hopefully by the edn of the summer I will have $6000 in my bank account, and my dad can help me out with the rest. Anyways, what I was wondering is do you think the WRX is too much of a car for a 16 yr. old and any other insight as to why I should or should not get this car?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
My cousin (goes by Shinigami on here) will be 16 next year, and I told him that if he saved up enough money AND the STi came out next year, I'd probably sell my car to him. He's very responsible and although the rest of my family objects to my plans, I don't have any problem with it. Responsibility is what it all comes down to. That's why I've always included him in doing car maintenance/cleaning and I've always discussed upgrades with him before proceeding with them.

My only concern is his driving skills. He hasn't taken driver's ed yet, and I remember that when I was 16, I was NOT the most responsible driver. I'll be teaching him how to drive on my car, so we'll see how he handles it. The last thing I'd want to hear about is him or any 16 year-old getting into a car accident or getting pulled over for racing or something like that.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
If you are mature, responsible, and can afford the full-coverage insurance required on a new car, then go for it. Just keep the racing on the track, where it belongs, and you'll be fine.

And remember, even 23-year-old amateur rally and drag racers can get cut off and take a bite out of a telephone poll.

First mod: rip those RE92s off the wheels and get some real tires!

-Jim

·
Registered
161 Posts
avsrule414 said:
...hopefully by the edn of the summer I will have $6000 in my bank account, and my dad can help me out with the rest....
I'll be more worried that its not your dad that wants the car, LOL.

·
895 Posts
a shock or not, i got my wrx when i was 16 too.

i was very responsible during the break-in period, and i've only launched the car at the drag strip.

1 month after i got my wrx i did the skip barber driving school at laguna seca in cali. since then i havnt' done much, but it's worked out well for me so far.

-Robert

·
Registered
161 Posts
The best thing you could do is have a junker $100 car and then a 3rd car as the WRX lister under your parents name. Your name will just be listed as a possible driver on the WRX and the junker is your primary car. And the WRX is your parent's part time car. Did you get that, hehe...

It's cheaper insurance for me to keep my 95 Nissan as my primary driver and the WRX as part time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeez, it sure seems like people over on this board are how lot nicer than on i-club. Everyone on i-club basically *****ed me out becase I was "spoiled," but oh well I really want a WRX and I feel I am mature enough to handle the responsibility of driving a car like this for my first car. Basically on i-club they were just like screw you your full of ****, we all know you're gonna race it, and I think thats really messed up, because how do they know I am just another teen driver that goes and races and shows off?

·
895 Posts
i was on i-club long before i got my car so it wasnt as shocking when i let the cat out of the bag

where r u from avsrule?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
avsrule414 said:
Jeez, it sure seems like people over on this board are how lot nicer than on i-club. Everyone on i-club basically *****ed me out becase I was "spoiled," but oh well I really want a WRX and I feel I am mature enough to handle the responsibility of driving a car like this for my first car. Basically on i-club they were just like screw you your full of ****, we all know you're gonna race it, and I think thats really messed up, because how do they know I am just another teen driver that goes and races and shows off?
You know, that's such a big load of BS. Those hater attitudes really piss me off. Spoiled schmoiled! All of those people who said you were spoiled wouldn't tell their parents "Oh, I want to pay for my car myself so people don't think I'm spoiled, so please don't buy me a brand new free car." Give me a break! I got my WRX as a college graduation present, does that make me spoiled? I hate it how people can just label someone as being spoiled without taking a look at the entire situation, but hey...that's just how things are so BAH!

·
895 Posts
Verdugo said:

You know, that's such a big load of BS. Those hater attitudes really piss me off. Spoiled schmoiled! All of those people who said you were spoiled wouldn't tell their parents "Oh, I want to pay for my car myself so people don't think I'm spoiled, so please don't buy me a brand new free car." Give me a break! I got my WRX as a college graduation present, does that make me spoiled? I hate it how people can just label someone as being spoiled without taking a look at the entire situation, but hey...that's just how things are so BAH!
hehe...someone's a bit upset:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first car and right now still have it is a 98 SR5 4runner, which is like a 30 pluse grand car I got it at 16. Right now I have about 7 Grand banked and I make 23 an hour and should make another 6500-7000 this summer (I work construction on prevailing wage for my paps) I work 40 hours a week 7:00-3:30, iT's hard let me tell. Pluse my dad is gonna give me another 12 grand. Im 18 by the way.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Penguinking said:

hehe...someone's a bit upset:)
Hehe yeah I am 'cause someone I know always rubs it in my face that I didn't pay for my car, even though I pay for everything else (like my mods). He tries to make it like he's more worthy and better than I am because he paid for his car all on his own without his parent's help. Can you tell I'm a little bitter? :)

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
When I was 16 and got my liscence and a car GIVEN to me. I beat the hell out of that car. I showed it no mercy. If you have to pay for it every month, the car gets a little more respect, and you learn a little more responsibility. I think every 16 year old should get a little car with no horsepower so they can actually LEARN how to drive first. If you give a KID a gun they will eventually find someway to shoot themselves.

And by the way, who won the Stanley Cup this year??? RED WINGS BABY!!!!

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I had a '95 Legacy Wagon Lsi when I turned 16...and man, did I think I was invincible! That all changed when I took a tight turn, thinking my car was a go kart and AWD was king...I understeered into the curb and my left rear wheel grinded, and I mean GRINDED on the curb. Wow was that bad...I learned my lesson from that and I've known to drive much more responsibly ever since.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
AVS, have you ever driven(eg track time) before? There are plenty of young kids racing on weekends at the track and such, even at national levels(like 15yr old Brit 250GP champs). So age isn't really the issue. No everyone has that sort of talent and chances are, most of people that age don't have it nor skills/experience learnt. In this world of capitalistic values and buying extravagantly unlike the generally humbler, more frugal post-war generation, having a spanking new nice car isn't uncommon. I know(personally) of plenty daddy's girls and such drive the likes of MB CLK430s, ML430s, BMW 7s, Audi S4s, BMW M3s, etc etc.... and these are personal cars not the parents' rides.
My concern would be the sheer performance of a road car for an inexperienced driver. I know some who have wrapped their shiny BMs and such into polls because they didn't react properly to a given situation. Road drivers school can teach you general road mumbo jumbo, but they can't(usually) teach you to handle various performance cars under varying situations.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the key is to get it on a race track as soon as possible... I know after I'm on a track or autocross I don't really feel like driving fast on the street anymore and you have a better idea of the car's capabilities and your own

1 - 20 of 70 Posts