Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have had Continental DWS 06’s on your WRX/STi, how have they worked for you please? Treadware, handling, road noise, your usage pattern, wheel diameter, and anything else you wish to share.

Changed from anything else to these, or the reverse, and any comparison comments.

I would not be using for winter use (have Michelin X-Ice Xi3’s on 2nd set of wheels).

Thank you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure if it helps, but I have these on my wife's BMW 330ci for a couple of years now. They're relatively quiet, wear well while giving good dry and wet traction. Snow traction drops pretty quickly, so like the D-W-S tread wear points indicate anything less than 3/4 tread and they're not very good in the snow. Also, wide sizes tend to need lower air pressures, otherwise the centers wear prematurely.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I have not decided definitifely on the DWS 06’s. I was going to get Michelin A/S 3+’s, but my set on my 2017 Mazda 3 GT, while terrific tires to drive on in every way, lost a ton of their tread at just 5,600 miles (projected total life of 15,000), and so I am taking a big time out to reconsider what tires to put on the WRX in the spring.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thank you. I have not decided definitifely on the DWS 06’s. I was going to get Michelin A/S 3+’s, but my set on my 2017 Mazda 3 GT, while terrific tires to drive on in every way, lost a ton of their tread at just 5,600 miles (projected total life of 15,000), and so I am taking a big time out to reconsider what tires to put on the WRX in the spring.

Thats interesting yours are wearing so quickly.

I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on a 08 BMW X3 (AWD too) in Oct 2016 and so far they have 26,000 miles on them and they are only about half worn.
I liked them so much (for an A/S) I put them on the WRX this time around. I had 2 sets of the older version of the DWS on my GTO and 14 Forester and initially they were great but they both wore quickly and got slick in the rain. Im sure the DWS6 is improved.

Since you have dedicated winter tires why not go with a summer only tire? Traction grip and handling are a lot better than A/S.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question,. And I might get regular HP summers. However, we do basically cross country road trips in the spring and/or fall and have encountered snow and ice going over the Rockies in the Plains twice already. As you know, summer HP’s get really dicey, even with our AWD, when in the 30’s and in snow and ice.

As far as the Michelin A/S 3+ wearing early, it could be Mazda 3 related. Have definitely not ruled out getting the Michelin A/s 3+’s for the WRX. Just researching at this time.

Glad your A/S 3+’s are getting you really good mileage on your X3.

Thank you.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Good question,. And I might get regular HP summers. However, we do basically cross country road trips in the spring and/or fall and have encountered snow and ice going over the Rockies in the Plains twice already. As you know, summer HP’s get really dicey, even with our AWD, when in the 30’s and in snow and ice.

As far as the Michelin A/S 3+ wearing early, it could be Mazda 3 related. Have definitely not ruled out getting the Michelin A/s 3+’s for the WRX. Just researching at this time.

Glad your A/S 3+’s are getting you really good mileage on your X3.

Thank you.
ahhh ok that makes sense. IF you get the DWS06 def review them

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Yeah I've not seen too many reviews on them for the WRX or sti. They are massively popular on BMWs and Audi however I wasn't impressed at all with their winter handling in my BMW however on an AWD vehicle you may feel better.

Just be warned the you snow traction will drop off substantially long before the S is gone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
I had the older DWS on my 08 WRX to replace the terrible OEM stock A/S tires. I don’t know how much they’ve changed with the DWS 06 model, but they were great 3 season tires. The first winter was OK. After that, the snow traction fell off a cliff noticeably. I also went from stock 205 to 225 so I can’t really fairly make a handling comparison. I don’t recall any specific complaints though. I had to run them at 38PSI to get them to feel right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
Tires are very personal and you've got to drive on a few to find what you like. I prefer the conti dws over the Michelin performance all seasons of the time although the consensus was the Michelin was far superior.

I don't think you would feel left out with either if an all season is a must, however you are missing massive potential by skipping on summer performance meats. they make everything feel better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
289 Posts
Thank you all. Appreciate the precise feedback. Hope someone posts that they have put some good/projected mileage on the Michelin A/S 3+’s on their WRX — for that was my original plan and may well return to it.
Hey WRX John, FWIW, I just did a track day on my AS 3+'s and they still have plenty of tread left. about 5200 miles on em so far. they are great tires.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,595 Posts
Look guys I'm really hammered on a claret, it's a Malbec and it's really decent.

I'll leave the thread open but if it interferes with my drinking again I'm locking it.

Just let it go.

Reactions: RichD514

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
XJman said:
Tires are very personal and you've got to drive on a few to find what you like. I prefer the conti dws over the Michelin performance all seasons of the time although the consensus was the Michelin was far superior.
Agreed.

I bought a set of Falken Azenis RT-615s after some discussions at motorsports events with owners who really liked them and were setting great lap times. While great on dry tarmac, they left a ton to be desired in the wet (hydroplaning was common).

XJman said:
I don't think you would feel left out with either if an all season is a must, however you are missing massive potential by skipping on summer performance meats. they make everything feel better.
Dedicated sets is always going to be the best option. It's a tougher sell for areas that don't see as much snow, but there is definite truth to "jack of all trades = master of none".

·
voidin warranty since 05
835 Posts
Agreed.

Dedicated sets is always going to be the best option. It's a tougher sell for areas that don't see as much snow, but there is definite truth to "jack of all trades = master of none".
i really like this guys thinking and reasoning. we should keep him around..

·
Registered
95 Posts
This Thread got really short vs last night.... :rotfl:
Glad to see we are back to a good thread, Tires are like oil. no ones wrong about what they run, and everyone thinks they know more then Joeslow. ask a good tire shop, I only recommend the tires I personally used or tried when I worked at my dads shop.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Decided to get the Michelin A/s 3+’s instead of the Conti DWS 06’s. Thank you all for your great input above. Been thinking about it for days. Today, took a 200 drive in my WRX, and even though one of its mods is the Perrin steering dampener, I am still not impressive with the car’s initial steering responsiveness. While some cars handle easily with one hand on the wheel, my WRX (and I blame part of this on my state’s marginal roads in some places), is easier to drive with two hands on the wheel. It just does not turn in as quickly and precisely as I want it to (nor did it when new 1 1/2 years ago).

So today did even more research, specifically comparing the stock tires (the marginal Dunlop Sport Maxx RT’s), the Continental DWS 06’s and the Michelin A/s 3+’s.

Here is the one summary sentence on what TireRack would like to see improved on the Continental DWS 06: What We'd Improve: Could use a step up in dry handling and steering response.

Damn, this is exactly what my car needs to improve on.

And conversely, precise and sharp turn in is how TireRack describes the Michelin A/S 3+’s, Tire Rack stating, “With direct and precise steering, balanced handling and impressive measured data, the Michelin earns the highest score in two of our three overall subjective categories and is a close second in the other.

Lastly I looked at the below TireRack comparative chart, specifically their line evaluating, “STEERING RESPONSE.” Not saying the DWS’s are not great tires, but for what I specifically want, I will be getting the Michelin A/S 3+’s.

Thank you all for your help in your above, helpful posts.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts