Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do yall think about this truck. I know these are two toatly different beasts but I was wondring if you all think these are worthy adversary to the rex? Has anybody raced one?:confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
aaronwillen said:
380 horsepower....fastest production truck ever made i believe....yeah they are quick...
Syclones are still quicker in the quarter, stock-to-stock. And if they didn't have a speed limiter in the ECU, they'd have a faster top speed, too.

I think the 2nd gen Lightnings are pretty cool, but they are WAY too heavy, and have major problems hooking up.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
My feeling about them is that they are BADASS and I wouldn't mind owning one.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Very fast, very nice trucks, too bad I can't say the same about some of the drivers. Just about every Lightning driver I have met has been obnoxious to a fault. A lightning once gunned it to cut me out of a lane that was clear and I had my indicator on for a good 3 seconds before he tried to take it, plus he was a good 3 cars behind me. Fortunately I was in 2nd at 4000rpms listening to the whine and seeing how it responded to 2 big passengers with me. So yeah, I got the spot probably due to being in the right gear, but that driver needed to be smacked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So how do you like your lightning. There are the nicest looking trucks around. Get any good kills in it yet? I read some where that your on the waiting list for the sti... :D ...You'll have lotsa fun with that.

·
1,379 Posts
I've personally never seen the point in putting in the effort to make a truck a performance vehicle. The whole point behind a pickup in the beginning was it was a vehicle in which you could load large amounts of stuff across a wide variety of terrains, and then take the stuff where you need it, and unload it with ease. Pickup trucks do this better than any other kind of passenger vehicle.

So why try to combine a pickup truck and a sports car? If you really want a fast vehicle for $35k, why not get the new '03 Cobra? It's faster, and you can always drop $5k to buy a beater truck to haul mulch in later on.

Honestly, how many folks are going to haul mulch or sheetrock in their Lightning? Not many, I'd wager.

If you need a truck, get a truck! If you want something fast, get a car! It will be faster with less effort. It's just a question of configuration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have both a WRX and a Lightning. My WRX has an MBC and I have raced the WRX against the Lightning 3 times. The WRX is yet to win.

Mind you - the WRX is quicker in the twisties even though the Lightning handles surprisingly well. It is also very nice inside, doesn't rattle at all and is cheap to service. Insurance and tag is cheap too. It is very useful having a truck, especially for taking my bike to the track, picking up gardening stuff , taking antiques down to my wife's stall. There is nothing better than spanking Mercedes, Audis and BMWs with a pickup truck OR a Subi.

I always wave to WRXers and I hate the 'import hater' attitude of some ******* Lightning owners. I like ALL fast cars.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
i like the front of em... with a billit grill and a new hood they look really nice. But the rear end is all too plain for my tastes. but if i was to get a truck thats what i would look at. But im not a fan of trucks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Markclow I wish I was you:) Just got the lightning a while back and its imposible for me to find a race any more:( And I resent the fact that you say all of us lightning owners are a** hol** Retro, I always give a thumbs up. But no hard feelings. I really wanted to see how I would stand up to all wheel drive;) Oh well, I guess I'm just going to have to wait for the STI on order:D
PS. I know what you meen about trucks are meant to be 4by4's and cars are meant for speed but this thing tows large loads like a raped ape & its a blast to drive.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've raced several Lightnings at the track and they are very fast for what they are. Last week I ran against one in the quarter and he did a 13.4 while I did a 12.9. His mph was the same so that tells me that he would be a pretty good match for me on the highway. I talked to him briefly to ask him what he had done and he told me he had "pulley and exhaust."

Not sure what pulley he was running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
need4spd said:
Markclow I wish I was you:) Just got the lightning a while back and its imposible for me to find a race any more:( And I resent the fact that you say all of us lightning owners are a** hol** Retro, I always give a thumbs up. But no hard feelings. I really wanted to see how I would stand up to all wheel drive;) Oh well, I guess I'm just going to have to wait for the STI on order:D
PS. I know what you meen about trucks are meant to be 4by4's and cars are meant for speed but this thing tows large loads like a raped ape & its a blast to drive.
I know what you mean - I get far more races in my WRX. I would love to race a Vette from the stop in my Lightning.

I never said ALL Lightning owners are ass***** - just some of them who hate other cars for no reason.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You want races, just leave you numbers on your window after a night at the track. I'm usually just lazy anddon't bother wiping them off, and then everyone wants a piece.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Master Of Pain said:

Wrong.

92 GMC Syclone
14.1 @ 93 mph

02 Ford Lightning
13.8 @ 103 mph
Don't know where you got those numbers from, especially since there's no such thing as a "92 Syclone"... Sounds more like a Typhoon ET and trap speed, which might explain your mistake.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts