ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took the plunge and got a stock WRX uppipe from Gruppe-S. Besides sending it out three days past when they told me they would send it (I kept calling to get a tracking number, and each time I called, they told me 'oh, it's being sent out tonight.') Other than that, it was great dealing with them, and they were very friendly when I called and answered any questions I had. I would definatly go through them again.

Ok first, for those of you who think that the cat in the uppipe is a nice, soft honey-comb material, it's not. I knew it was going to be a PITA to gut, but I didn't expect it to be like drilling through steel. an Electric drill with a bit used for drilling through cement was barely able to penetrate the thing. after trying to pound the darn thing out with a hammer and spike, I started to get some angry looks from the neighbors and I hadn't even broken it into chunks yet, so I decided to just have the family mechanic do it.

The family mechanic started out optimistic, estimating a 4 to 5 hour install time, but he ended up taking over 12 hours . When I went to check up on the car, he had an exasperated look on his face, and told me it took him 2 hours to gut the cat, and he was only able to do it by having another machanic hold the uppipe while he wailed on it with a very large hammer. He showed me the smaller hammer he broke before, and told me his shoulders were very sore, lol. I ended up paying alot more than I wanted to for the install, but I have to pay the man for the work he did. I do suggest to any of you out there NOT to have a general mechanic install the uppipe. Downpipe, yeah, but uppipe, try to take it to a qualified shop. You will have someone who knows how to install it from the get-go, and it will be half the price of what I paid. After resetting the ECU, away I went.

Starting it up: You can definatly smell some more exhuast coming out of the car. It goes away once it's warmed up, though. You can also see a big 'puff' of exhaust gas when you first take off.

first drive: The ECU was still adjusting, so the car didn't drive well the first few minutes. Once I got on the open road, I layed down the hammer. First, THE TURBO IS FRIGGIN' LOUD!!! You can hear a loud fluttering-spooling sound around 4000 RPM. Under normal throttle, it still sounds stock. The turbo spools at 2500 RPM like how it used to at 3000 RPM. In other words, everything happens 500 RPM sooner, which is nice. The turbo-lag is definatly not gone by any means, but I am sure once the Cobb Accessport comes in, I will notice less lag.

Thanks for listening! PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
my cat was a honeycomb material when i looked in there??? looks like i could have drilled it out every easily..weird that u had such a hard time!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aaronwillen said:
my cat was a honeycomb material when i looked in there??? looks like i could have drilled it out every easily..weird that u had such a hard time!
Believe me bro, I pounded on that thing like it was goin' out of style. Even the mechanic was astounded on how tightly the catalytic material was packed in there. The only thing that scares me is he said he got '99.9% out' :eek: I guess I just gotta hope for the best,

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
VitaminWRX said:
Believe me bro, I pounded on that thing like it was goin' out of style. Even the mechanic was astounded on how tightly the catalytic material was packed in there. The only thing that scares me is he said he got '99.9% out' :eek: I guess I just gotta hope for the best,
I would've inspected it before he put it in :eek:

I hope there aren't any chunks big enough to damage your turbo.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I bought mine pregutted on ebay and put it in myself. Save time and money.

Over 12 hours.. even taking off 2 for gutting the pipe... an UP install is NOT a 10 hour job.. especially for a 'trained mechanic'. I did mine in the driveway laying on my back most of the time and it was not a 10 hour job. :confused1

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
DTR rex said:
so after buying a stock uppipe when you already have one on your car, spending time to gut it yourself, paying a mechinic to gut it and install it....... you have a stock gutted uppipe that MAY still have particles lose in it....

i guess its all about the experience... i would have gone insane going through that much trouble... ERZ or HKS DP is around $100
Live and learn, bro. Not the greatest decision in the world, but it's one I wont be making again (thank goodness).

I originally planned to get a used uppipe (gut it myself) bring it to family mechanic (cheap install) then gut the uppipe I have now and resell for around 80. However, I learned that no matter how much research you do before hand, you can't ever prepare for the unexpected ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
It took me like 6 hours to install both uppipe/downpipe, by myself. And i was taking my sweet ass time. How it took your mechanic 10 hours to do the uppipe is beyond me.

-BobbyD

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
BobbyD said:
It took me like 6 hours to install both uppipe/downpipe, by myself. And i was taking my sweet ass time. How it took your mechanic 10 hours to do the uppipe is beyond me.

-BobbyD
it took me about 9 hours to do my uppipe/TBE install the first time i did it, of course, the TXS DP adds some time since it's so big, and about an hour of that time was messing around with splicing wires for the Pony Express MIL eliminator. second time i did an uppipe, it took 3 hours tops.
i agree that it's a GREAT install to do for yourself, you learn so much about the car during it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
i bought a jdm sti uppipe for 90 bux, it was my first time doing the uppipe, it took me and a friend about 7 hours to do, we bull****ted alot too, and took a couple trips to stores tryin to find a 02 sensor socket.

im in the process of gutting my stock one. i got most of the cat out from a couple hours of pounding it with numerous things and getting numerous tools stuck in it. i just need to get the very edge of it off the actual pipe and ill be done, its a pita, im never doing it again

also any advice on how to get the last of the cat off the walls of the uppipe?

·
Registered
317 Posts
to get the last 1% of the cat out thats bonded to the ribs, buy a coarse polishing bit. I think i got mine in home depot. im pretty sure that u can get coarse ones at walmart in the air tools section. then get an extension and just start filing it down, should be no more than 1/2 hour to clean out the rest of the pipe. if you have the right bit, its a piece of cake, but if you get one that is too smooth, ull be accomplishing nothing and it will be frustrating. im installing it next weekend with my father, im hoping its gonna be a sub 6 hr job, were both fairly mechanically inclined and the install seems to be taking off nuts and bolts and putting them back in, so im hoping for no disasters.

PS. we should start a thread of upipe install distasters, like description of the disaster, how you fixed it, how much it cost to fix, any tips and tricks that you came across....hows that sound?

·
Registered
120 Posts
i wish i could even get under the car! the place that intsalled mine took off my oil filter for a sec and put it BACK ON!!! then told me "we didn't have any oil to back into the car" (this is a performance shop i went to) NO OIL!!!!! holy crap! anyways i get home and under my hood is smoking, my pipe from radiator to turbo was spitting coolant cause they didn't put clamp back on and a month later the egt sensor came out cause they don't know how to tighten crap down obviously! in all i've felt a little power difference and the sound is insanely different!

HELIX FLEX UP-PIPE

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was pretty sure that dealers were prohibited BY LAW from removing or tampering with emissions equipment, so I'm a little surprised that you can find one that quotes a price on up pipe replacement.
Unless he's replacing the original with another catted one (wink,wink).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts