ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes the 3/16 " mod works on a 04
I ve read numerous things about the 3/16 mod not working on 04's and causing spikes..

I tried it out today and was surprised...

1st : 11 psi
2nd: 11.5 psi
3rd: 12-12.5 psi
4th: 12-12.5 psi
5th: 13.5 psi

1st : 12 psi spikes to 12.5
2nd: 13 psi spiking to 13.5
3rd: 13.5 psi spiking to 14.1psi
4th: 13.5 psi spiking to 14.1psi
5th: 13.5 psi spiking to 14.1psi

Yes the 3/16th mod worked for my 04 without major spikes ...

acutally car does seem to pull a wee bit more...

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
I'm still not convinced that this is a good mod. There's so much debate...

For now since I can't afford engine management, I'd give it a shot if I knew it would be OK.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Integra96 said:
I'm still not convinced that this is a good mod. There's so much debate...

For now since I can't afford engine management, I'd give it a shot if I knew it would be OK.
Don't get a 3/16" coupler. Just pop the restrictor out of the stock coupler with an awl. It doesn't give it a full 3/16..IIRC it's 5/64 or there abouts. It's the safest bet, and you'll notice the difference in peak boost as well as your boost holding much better.
It's what I opted for ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
VSGTS14 said:
so what is this and what does it do?
i have seen numerous posts about it but never took the time to read up on it?
i have a cobb stage 2 setup, would this help it?
Depends..what are your boost levels now?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Its voodoo and ball bearings, ohhh and some snake oil blended in......... I know it worked on my 03. I noticed around a 1.5 pound boost increase and much smoother acceleration, there had to be a reason they cut the tube and restricted it but it must have been to calm the car down, maybe to protect the drivetrain. I am going to put the stock one back in soon to allow the 'puter to go back to normal for an access port install.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dark_rex said:
why bother doing this mod? what's the benefit of .5 more psi and spiking the ECU isn't tuned for?

what's the goal? :confused:

seems silly to me.

dR
Spikes??? Like the stock doesn't spike? :eek3: LOL
The mod gives you more consistent boost, unless you go with a full 3/16 coupler, which I won't do.
"Don't knock it until you've tried it" ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stock one does spike...

as it does hit 14.5 psi in 5th gear and then comes down to 13.5psi

·
Registered
461 Posts
From what I've seen 3/16th isn't recommened with an AccessPort. I mean yeah, a lot of people don't recommend it to begin with but it's definitley thought to be a no-no with the AP.

Just put me down as being in the No 3/16th mod camp.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Prior to getting engine management, I used the 3/16 connector without problems. Make sure that you have a boost gauge so that you can see what your boost is doing.

There might be more boost spiking in the winter.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
bluej20 said:
The stock one does spike...

as it does hit 14.5 psi in 5th gear and then comes down to 13.5psi
that's not a spike, that's boost taper. spiking is what's happeneing when you replace the connector. initially hits up to 14.5, then settles to 13.5 for the rest of the power band (until your turbo runs out of breath)

dR

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
bluej20 said:
Yes the 3/16 " mod works on a 04
I ve read numerous things about the 3/16 mod not working on 04's and causing spikes..

I tried it out today and was surprised...

1st : 11 psi
2nd: 11.5 psi
3rd: 12-12.5 psi
4th: 12-12.5 psi
5th: 13.5 psi

1st : 12 psi spikes to 12.5
2nd: 13 psi spiking to 13.5
3rd: 13.5 psi spiking to 14.1psi
4th: 13.5 psi spiking to 14.1psi
5th: 13.5 psi spiking to 14.1psi

Yes the 3/16th mod worked for my 04 without major spikes ...

acutally car does seem to pull a wee bit more...
Now wait for a few hundred miles for your ECU to adjust and it will run like ass. Your boost will float up and down like a wave. Almost everyone who put on took it right off. Why don't people listen to what everyone says on the boards? Do they not believe us?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Re: Yes the 3/16 " mod works on a 04

scooby24 said:
Now wait for a few hundred miles for your ECU to adjust and it will run like ass. Your boost will float up and down like a wave. Almost everyone who put on took it right off. Why don't people listen to what everyone says on the boards? Do they not believe us?
I love it! ROFLOL
People that have never tried it giving advice from what they've heard others spew out of their mouths ROFLOLOLOL
I've run mine for over 1k now and my boost is much more stable than it was before the mod.
Of course it might happen if you put a straight 3/16 coupler in, but I'll say it once again for those of you that fail to read an entire thread before making ignorant statements. Just pop the restrictor out of your stock coupler. It doesn't give you the full 3/16. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :tongue:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Yes the 3/16 " mod works on a 04

KJY9 said:
I love it! ROFLOL
People that have never tried it giving advice from what they've heard others spew out of their mouths ROFLOLOLOL
I've run mine for over 1k now and my boost is much more stable than it was before the mod.
Of course it might happen if you put a straight 3/16 coupler in, but I'll say it once again for those of you that fail to read an entire thread before making ignorant statements. Just pop the restrictor out of your stock coupler. It doesn't give you the full 3/16. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :tongue:
I have tried it. And I did use the 3/16" coupler. Hence the reason it's called the 3/16th mod. If you just removed the brass restrictor then that's not the mod you speak of. Removing that will cause boost to be lower. Yes I tried this. I do NOT spew out crap that I've only heard. I only give advice on the things I KNOW for a fact.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Re: Re: Yes the 3/16 " mod works on a 04

scooby24 said:
I had this on my car for nearly a year and didn't have any real problems. IIRC, I got boost spikes of approx 1 psi in the summer and boost spikes of approx 1.5 psi in the winter. For whatever reason, some people have problems with this mod and some don't.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Yes the 3/16 " mod works on a 04

scooby24 said:
..... If you just removed the brass restrictor then that's not the mod you speak of. Removing that will cause boost to be lower. ....
:bs: :screwy:
If you had, you'd know...that's simply not true ;)

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yes the 3/16 " mod works on a 04

KJY9 said:
try to remember some people on this club have been tuning WRXs for 3 years. the 3/16" mod isn't anything NEW. we've seen the entire evolution of it.

removing the brass restrictor is not hte 3/16" mod. it does basically nothing. "smoothing" out the ride is the most arbitrary, non-factual analysis i've heard for any mod.

get some results. data log it, map it, tape it WHATEVER.. but telling the world it's "smoother" contributes NOTHING to the thread. the stock WRX does not have a "rough" aspect to it's boost. no one has ever said that. if your car did, take it to the dealer and have it examined.

also, don't screw with the vacuum lines if you have any COBB EMS.

dR

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yes the 3/16 " mod works on a 04

KJY9 said:
Ok let me explain it to you since I know what I'm talking about. Ask any knowledgeable person on this website about the brass restrictor and they will all tell you what I'm about to. Removing it will cause wastegate to open sooner. Think about it. If you plug up the line completely there will be no pressure from the turbo and thus the wastegate will never open and your turbo would spool until it hit boost cut. The opposite happens when you open it up. Pressure increases from the turbo because it's not being regulated by the restrictor and thus the wastegate opens very easily and at low boost levels. Don't be ignorant. There are people on this website who are knowledgeable and are willing to share their experiences. Don't ignore them. We don't write this stuff up for our own good. We already know what happens when we mod the things we speak of. It is threads like this that make us call you guys noobs and don't want to help you out.

Edit: And yes I did actually do it. not on purpose but by mistake. I didn't realize it was there and I put the stock boost controller back after having on my MBC. I left the aftermarket hose from the MBC on the turbo when I put on the stock BC. Boost went to 12 lbs IIRC...not sure of the exact number but I know it was too low...so I got on the forum and......howly cow can you believe it..I did a search!!!! and found the answer lied in the brass restricter. I put the original hose with the restrictor in it back on and it worked fine. Amazing what happens when noobs listen to knowledgeable people

1 - 20 of 70 Posts