ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been researching (and searching) this for a while now, and have found conflicting answers:

I have a '06 TR, and have had a catless downpipe sitting in my garage (not installed) for a long time now, waiting for a chance to buy some EM.

I've run into the air pump valve sticking issue, and since buying an AP and removing (blocking off) the air pump setup is much cheaper than replacing the air pumps, I've decided to finally bite the bullet and buy a Cobb AP.

I know I'll have to download the Race Tuner stuff to get rid of those particular air pump CELs, so I'm good to go for stage 1 with no CELs.

My question is this:

After looking over every post I can find on every website, there seems to be no definitive answer as far as running a catless DP with an AP stage 2 map while avoiding boost creep. I would be running the DP with an otherwise stock exhaust, so I will have some backpressure in the system.

All of the info I've found regarding AP stage 2 boost creep seems to come from folks running a full TBE... and to complicate the issue, I stumbled upon a Cobb service bulletin that specifically states that '07s have more of a risk for boost creep because of their smaller restrictor pill.

Bottom line... does this mean that an '06 WRX will be able to avoid the issue because of the larger restrictor pill, or should I just stick with a stage 1 map until I can save up the money for a catted DP?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Some cars creep, some don't. To cure the issue, you need wastegate porting or an EWG.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Boost creep was on the vf39, not the WRX TD04 turbo?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boost creep was on the vf39, not the WRX TD04 turbo?
I'd like that to be true, but I thought the weak point in the whole mess was the WG on the stock TD04... It would be nice to just go straight to stage 2, otherwise I've got a useless DP laying around.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I'm not sure, hence the "?"

I know a number of people have claimed an issue on TD04s, but it seems like they are infrequent and it is hard to find an actual case of mechanical creep described. It may be questionable whether it could be addressed by tuning WGDC. Lots of different opinions as opposed to the VF where it clearly happens frequently.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure, hence the "?"

I know a number of people have claimed an issue on TD04s, but it seems like they are infrequent and it is hard to find an actual case of mechanical creep described. It may be questionable whether it could be addressed by tuning WGDC. Lots of different opinions as opposed to the VF where it clearly happens frequently.
Could be worth a try, then. I could just take it off if anything happens. Should buy a boost gauge just to keep an eye on things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts