Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forums and gathered some good info, but I'm left with a few rack questions.

Can you mount a Yakima/Thule fairing to a stock subaru crossbar (wing style, not round)? Is this what the Subaru adaptor set does? Is there a subaru fairing available?

Looks like my only real bike tray options are the yakima mightymounts with the cobra trays. Does the rear hatch on the wagon hit when opened?

I'm not worried about weight on the stock crossbars. I'd rather use the Yakima Viper fork mount tray, but that doesn't seem like an option. Would the Subaru adaptor set allow the Viper to work?

Thanks-

And any NJ/PA/NY mountain bikers out there?

·
Registered
0 Posts
The adapter set I think is just the clips that fit around the aero shaped crossbars. 4 of them. Also, when you mount the rack on the aero shaped crossbars, it sits lower. You might be able to make a bracket of some sort, but the Yakima fairing I have will not fit right in that configuration. If you get the round crossbars, they sit up higher, and the fairing will work.

·
Registered
213 Posts
WRX4MAD said:

Can you mount a Yakima/Thule fairing to a stock subaru crossbar (wing style, not round)?
The yakima fairing that I have is round bars only. It's actually part of the fairing support, and I don't see any way around it to attach to the subie aerobars.

yakima mightymounts - don't they work with all their carriers? I was under the impression that they attach to the bar and then to the yakima rack. I think you can use any of their bike racks (not just the cobra) as long as you have enough mighty mounts.

From what I remember most people cut a bit off the trays so the gate wouldn't hit - like 3 inches or something like that. There should still be plenty of tray left to support your wheel.

I had a yakima round bar rack from my previous vehicle and adapted it for my subie with the lowriders, but apparently Thule has a fit kit for the factory bars, too.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/fg_clamp.asp?car_id=6259&sport=22&year=2002&factory_id=8192

I still have my factory crossbars I can sell, if you need them.
hope it helps!
Wylie

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I've had the same set of Yakima Lowriders for 6 years, since I first got my Outback. They attach to the stock roof rails (not the crossbars) and use round bars so you can utilize any Yakima rack. You would also be able to use the Yakima fairing....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all replies.

The problem with the Thule bike trays is that they add another set of crossbars. Strange, right? Look closely at that picture.

The Yak MightyMounts work on the stock crossbars, but when you use the rack selector, it eliminates the fork mount bike trays for some reason, leading me to believe the mighty mounts only work with 4 wheel mount trays listed.

King Cobra upright mount
Cobra upright mount
AnkleBiter Deuce upright mount
Raptor

(This is why I was wondering if those Subaru mounting adaptors would let me use the fork mount trays.)

I wanted to keep the stock crossbars, but it's looking like i can't add a fairing and a fork mount bike tray to the stock aerobars. Why Suby/Yak would do this is beyond me.

I'll probably rock the lowriders, fairing, and Viper tray. Too bad cause i like the look of the stock aerobars!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I got this from the Yak site:

Q: Can I use this bike mount with a factory rack? (RE: Viper)

A: ....the bike mount gets its side to side stability from the crossbar.....factory rack crossbars are not strong enough to handle the stress generated by forkmounts...
So, I guess since the upright carriers spread the load more, they're okay to use with factory bars.

Thule doesn't have an adapter to fit factory crossbars like Yak's MightyMounts? Oh WEIRD, I just looked at that picture... BLECH! it's like, why have the factory crossbars at all? I guess that's how they ensure that the stress is distributed, but...it's not pretty.

I suppose that the lowriders, crossbars, fairing, bike carriers would be the way to go... (HA HA - that's what I thought, too) I'm running two anklebiters at the moment.

But copying the factory option setup would work too (the raptor? I thought it used to be called the lockjaw). AND, I think the factory crossbars are not nearly as noisy as the rounds, the fairing wouldn't be "essential", but it does look bling.

let us know how it goes.

wYlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thule hasn't engineered an adaptor like the Yakima Mighty Mounts. They chose to design the rack packs instead. They install onto the factory rack rack. They have a fork mount (889 Velo Vise Rack Pack) option and an upright bike mount (599XT upright Rack Pack) option. You can see them here:
Thule Bike Racks

I'd recommend spending the cash and get set up with the Yakima Lowider base rack system or the Thule 415 base rack system. They are pretty stylish and you can also then connect a fairing and any Yakima or Thule roof mount bike rack of your choice dirctly to the base rack cross bars. Check out the links here:
Yakima Lowrider
Thule 415

1 - 9 of 9 Posts