Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the yakima racks and WRX wagons?
the tray sits too far back on the factory front to back rails for the hatch to open all the way, thus the tray runs into the spoiler. I have read on here of some removing the spoiler, not really interested in that. Does anyone know how to move the factory front to rear roof rails forward on the car?

My mountain bike is about 3.5' from fork to center of rear tire, my road bike around 2.5' and my other mountain bike is around 3'.

If the viper fork mount was just about 6-8" forward I would not have this issue.

Thanks for the help all, looking for alternatives and suggestions.

Mark:confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yak Racks

Mark,

Not sure which bike rail I have as far as name. I did have to cut approx 3 inches off of the back end so that the hatch can open when the rack is empty. I just have to drop my bike before opening the back otherwise.

A simple vise and hacksaw worked ok as the tray is aluminum.

The other solution would have been to turn the rack around and have the bike facing backwards.:( I didn't like the way it looked.

See attached....

Hope I could help

Clavo

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the backwards trick with my Yak rack. I have 2 Steelheads between the towers which face backwards. And 2 Vipers outside the towers which face forward. Looks slightly goofy but it definitely works.

I spent a few hundred dollars on the factory rack system and other Yakima products before I finally figured out this solution... it seems to me to be the best/easiest way to fit more than 2 bikes on the rack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.