Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have a WRX wagon with the factory bike racks on the roof, and they make a lot of noise at freeway speeds. Has anyone tried the Yakima (or other brand) fairing? Does it stop the noise? What width is right for the WRX?

Thanks,

Boon

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yes - I have it and it makes a huge difference. I believe it is either a 33" or 36" (can't remember) for the wagon as it has to fit between the roof rails. I just took a 800 mile round trip with ski racks, skis and a snowboard on the top and it was completely noise free:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
yep, it's 32" and it fits perfect between the rails. Does a great job of reducing wind noise.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I got the Subaru/Yakima crossbars/towers. They are very similar (if not the same as the Yakima Lowriders), in fact the crossbars say yakima on them. Its basically the round crossbar set and they clamp onto both sides of the wagon rails. Very quiet and no problems whatsoever. I had Thules on my last car and would recommend the round Yakimas everytime after using these.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks a bunch.

My crossbars are actually the low, flat kind sold as an option on the car. They have both Subaru and Yakima written on them. The bike rack, also sold as an option from the dealer, is a Yakima rack with a Subaru sticker on it. It's got a round bar at the front that I figure the fairing will attach to.

It'd be nice if the fairing could attach to the flat crossbars if/when I use the crossbars without the bike rack, but if it doesn't I'll survive.

I'll try it and see how I go :)

Boon.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Re: Thanks

Ghengis said:
It'd be nice if the fairing could attach to the flat crossbars if/when I use the crossbars without the bike rack, but if it doesn't I'll survive.
Yeah, I'm thinking about fabricating my own bracket so I can use a fairing with the buttondowns, since there is WAY more resistance with them on than with the bike rack. I did an experiment on a long trip, and got 100 more miles on a tank over the same distance with the button downs off than I did with them on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
buttondowns?

What are buttondowns? I would have guessed they are the flat "crossbar kit" option, except you said they cause more resistance than the bike rack, which doesn't seem right since they are effectively part of the bike rack when that's on.

Sorry if that's a dumb question...

·
Registered
29 Posts
So for someone thinking of getting a new wagon and who goes Mountain biking.. you would suggest what options to have? should i just sstick with the reg OEM roof rack then get all the other parts from yakima? or should I just get the factory round crossbars then attach a yakima rack to that?

·
Registered
213 Posts
ATT - I'd recommend not to get the factory flatbars for bikes. They seem just a little flimsy to me. I'd say yakima round bars, lowrider crossbar holders (attach to the factory rails), and your choice of bike carriers. Some have had to cut down the load rails to clear the rear hatch when it's open. Then there's the new short short tray boas.

Another option would be a hitch and hitch mount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree although I don't think it's a big deal. I have the flat bars, and my bikes sway a lot side-to-side, especially once you leave the pavement (or turn into your driveway, for that matter). I think a lot of this is due to the flat bars, but I think most of it is due to the bike racks themselves. I don't think there's any danger of them falling off though.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The factory racks will hold up to 100lbs. If your bike weighs more than that, you need to ditch the Huffy and get a nicer bike. I drove over 1500 miles with 2 bikes up there, hitting speeds of around 120 at some points, and not a single problem with the bikes falling off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ghengis said:
...I have the flat bars, and my bikes sway a lot side-to-side, especially...
flats vs. rounds....I guess it depends on what kind of bikes you're carrying...:eek: Heh, no swaying for my bikes - I think I'd have a heart attack. I guess the flatbars would work for bikes and skis, but I like the expandability that the round bars offer (carrying lumber, watersports, etc.) for a little more than the price of the factory rack.

-wylie

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, it makes sense to just get the round bars as it offer more versitility in the long run. So i guess I'll just end up getting everything aftermarket from yakima.. if and when i go with a WRX.. thanks for the responses :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah, I have hit 120 with 2 road bikes on my rack with no problems. I think my Thules on my old car were rated up to 130 if I remember correctly.

I have a wagon and I mounted the yakima steelhead rails on the outside of the tower so that I didn't have to cut them or worry about my spoiler getting tore up. It looks great and I have had no problems in 4 months.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I wanna say they are 48". They are the std round bar set that Subaru sells and they fit the roof very well...they don't hang over the sides of the car at all. The Yakima setup is so much less cumbersome than the Thules I have on my eclipse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts