ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since my company shuts down over the Xmas-New Years break, I've lined up a nice to-do list for the Subie:

1) Short-throw shifter and bushings. It's Cobb, it's pricey, but it was free (Xmas gift :))

2) OEM Fog Lamps. My car didn't come with fog lights. One thing I really hate is not being able to see the road in front of the car at night. I hit a massive pot hole last month that I couldn't see.

3) STi TMIC. I'm getting ready for a turbo upgrade next year and thought the time was right. Hopefully I've got all the parts covered:
- Used '04 STi TMIC w/ Y-pipe
- New 90-degree 2" pipe from Stylinmotors to replace the stock one. I believe the TB hose is the same length between the '06-07 WRX and STi.
- New air-bypass valve gasket (someone told me these tear real easy when you take the old off, so I'm prepared)
- '07 STi Airsplitter and Duct Seal (I hope the attaching hardware on the WRX splitter is the same...)

Thanks to ClubWRX and the search tool for the info!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Can you keep us updated on how those mods go? I was lookin for STI TMICs on ebay the other day and was wondering how hard it was to install.
Thanks ~Andrew~

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Xmas break mods

Can you keep us updated on how those mods go? I was lookin for STI TMICs on ebay the other day and was wondering how hard it was to install.
Thanks ~Andrew~
I had a problem getting all the parts in over the holiday break, but everything is running smooth now.

1) The short-throw was a pain to install, due to not having the right hammer. I bought a bigger (rubber) hammer and the shifter ball finally popped in. The Cobb shifter is nice, but you need to cut a corner out of a bracket plate to get the full range of adjustability. It's 18g steel and I don't have the tools to cut it. The shifter bushings was a great mod. Noticeable difference in smoothness.

2) Fog lamps. no problems. straight forward install.

3) STi TMIC. I installed a used 04 STi TMIC using the stylin' 90degree pipe. The install was easy and straight forward. You just have to be careful and take a couple trys in cutting the elbow pipe to the right length.
The 07 WRX is made to have this TMIC put on it. No fitment problems and the AC lines are nowhere near the IC (so no rubbing issues).

The car is running fine. Not sure if the Stg 2 Cobb map will need to be adjusted for this, but we will see how the ECU reacts over the next week.

Notes: You will need to get an STi BPV gasket, because the 07 WRX intercooler uses a small rubber band type gasket that won't transfer over smoothly to the STi one. The 07 throttle body pipe is the same length between the STi and the WRX, so you will just need the elbow pipe. The air splitter was a breeze. You can reuse the clips from the old splitter to connect the new STi rubber bellows to the STi splitter duct.

Other items: I also used the time-off to change the rear diff to Mobil 1 Syn (75w-90) and the front diff/tranny to USC (non-syn)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice, have u noticed a positive difference with your Sti intercooler?
Yes. My Cobb AP is showing about a 10 degree drop in temp on the Intake Temp mode (live data function). Car feels a bit stronger, not big diff. Looks awesome though +1.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts