Subaru WRX Forum banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
That's a niceass jeep.
People think a wrx is a labor of love, own a used lifted jeep. It'll test even the most hardened soul. I don't know why i keep buying them, but im on jeep number 5.

Eats brakes, eats tires, eats suspension components, steering components, u joints, fuel, exhaust gaskets.

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Trackbar in. New tires on. Steering and front end super tight. Can't even force the wobbles. Happy with this.

I'm actually impressed enough with the trackbar I may replace all of the control arms with the metalcloak stuff. I've seen enough suspension, steering, and chassis components to last a lifetime and I'm impressed with how nice it is.

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
New thermostat and thermostat housing installed. Under temp code solved but still using coolant, not much maybe a quart over a 5000 mile oil change, but enough I'd like to know where. Pressure tested the system cold and no issues so perhaps it's opening up while hot.

Oil was clean and moisture free so I don't think it's a head gasket.

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Sweet hole in the exhaust at the cat.

I'm fairly tired of the "Jeep thing" at the moment. I'm about to just straight pipe the piece of crap.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
20,064 Posts
Did you sort the coolant loss?

How about a new cap and/or overflow tube?

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Did you sort the coolant loss?

How about a new cap and/or overflow tube?
Cap yes, over flow tube no. At this point I'm about to unload it to some hot shot 18 year old that thinks a project car is a good idea. I got some absolutely stupid offer for it and depending on vehicle prices I may take the person up on it.

I've dealt with a lot of crap Mopar vehicles. This one is beyond help and defies logical failures. I've looked at it, a specialty shop has looked at it and so has 2 dealers and nobody can figure out the coolant loss. I'm down to has to be a head gasket but I'm going to try that line first.

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Been a long while.

The temp too low has been gone for a while. Still loses coolant, can't find where too.

In the past year or so a few issues have cropped up. Typical things filters, oil changes, belts, etc.

The only out of place issue was a rusted bolt where my passenger side dump pipe connects to the exhaust. The bolt rusted out and it created a huge leak. I took a pair of vise grips and temporarily clamped it shut, forgot about it, found them today and was surprised it was still there and holding up.

Second was brakes. I've done hundreds of brake jobs at this point. However one thing pisses me off now and always is drum style parking brakes. Whatever clown is still agreeing these are the best option and should be on everything should be fired, tared and feathered.

When the adjustment star works, it's fine. When it is seized solid sadness follows, especially if you live in an area with salt and other garbage in winter.

5 hours I beat on these things. I would have loved to go get a puller but we'll my Jeep had no rear brakes at that point, and had no way to get it. Finally after I have everything down, cleaned and in the case of the parking brakes removed, I start checking the caliper brackets. Both sides seized pin.

At this point my brother is leaving work so I call him to take me to get them. Call around, am totally amused that I have to visit 4 stores to get the pins and brackets. Amazing.

Finally, about 30 minutes ago the brakes are done. Deep down I wish they failed so I could just write it off, but I successfully made it.

Also.

Drum style parking brakes are garbage and borderline terrorism.

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
This jeep may be going to the yard soon.

A while back I got a low oil pressure and engine power limited alarm. It wasn't long after I changed the oil and thought I made a grave mistake and didn't fill the oil all the way. I topped her up and have been checking it when I get fuel since. All's been normal.

Last time I got fuel I'd put about 1300 miles on it from when I got the code and was a half quart low. Topped it up and went on.

Today 8 days later on the way home code again. Checked the oil, bone dry dipstick. Put 3 quarts in to fill.

I don't see much about the pentastar online having this issue so I'm guessing it's bad rings or something, damaged piston maybe I don't know. I don't have any knock issues and the counter on my scan tool stays zero. Fuel trims still read zero so I don't know if it tracks it or there isn't a change. There are no issues with it being low on power. It's going somewhere. I can see no leaks on the bottom, nothing in my driveway and my parking spot at work is clean.

Exhaust isn't any more sooty than it's ever been but it's the only place I can think it's going. I don't see blue smoke at idle. I'm relieved I didn't bone an oil change but I'm really frustrated that this engine is possibly toast.

In want to suspect it's a headgasket but I'd really assume I'd have water in oil or vise versa. My next step I guess is a compression and leak down test. Thankfully you've only got to remove everything from the top of the engine and the manifold to get to them.

Or I'll run it until it grenades and burn it to the ground. Both options are on the table with this thing.

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
So everything compression and leak down came back alright. The only thing left was the pcv. Replaced it after a bunch of headache and I'll keep this updated.

Just for reference. This type of issue is something you can see on any car, so if you are reading this and have similar problems follow along.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
20,064 Posts
Well the PCV would explain oil in the chambers and soot. Good luck. Good news about the head gasket though!

101 - 110 of 110 Posts