Subaru WRX Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Sorry, I'm confused. You still have the WRX? Congrats on the truck
Did a whole Cummins ram swap. I needed a pickup bad as the WRX wasn't good as a pack mule for moving stuff around. Im lucky enough to have money to play with so I opted for something a "little" overkill to appease myself.

The WRX was also getting on in miles for a car that had been beat to death by myself and the previous owner. I decided that I had a little equity in it and it wouldn't hurt to let her go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,658 Posts
Nice! I wasn't able to go full ******* (too much history), so I kept the Subaru and bought a mini-truck.

·
Master Baiter
12,658 Posts
XJman said:
I embraced it and ran with it.
I looked into the newer GM HD diesels, but couldn't justify the price tag for what I would need a truck for, and the lack of a stick really bothered me.

Since I can borrow bigger trucks (everything up to a F550 dump truck) from family any time I need, I'm probably going to just flip Tacomas or embrace my German heritage and go with an AMG next round; E63 wagons are AWD now, and with CPO pricing, that may be an option (going to see where I am fiscally in 18 months).

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Yeah. New is outrageous. The diesel fad is dying down so you can get them for fair deals on the used market again. Especially around farm areas.

I guess people realized it's not so fun to fill 35 gallon tanks and only see 300 miles out of it with their 40" tires and giant lifts.

·
Master Baiter
12,658 Posts
XJman said:
Yeah. New is outrageous. The diesel fad is dying down so you can get them for fair deals on the used market again. Especially around farm areas.
<< Farm area

I break the Subaru enough that I want something with a warranty as DD. Therefore, new or CPO is where I'm at...

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
<< Farm area

I break the Subaru enough that I want something with a warranty as DD. Therefore, new or CPO is where I'm at...
Yeah. I considered spending more for a cpo with lifetime power train coverage but the selection was slim. It was all the goofy luxury models. I don't really want all of that.

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Did some work on the jumbo war wagon today.

I pulled the drivers side master switch and door card to identify a problem with the power windows. I stripped the switch down to the board and soldered some connectors that folks mentioned were common points to come loose, cleaned the entire thing with alcohol and reassembled. I greased the window track and test fired the motor and its all good. Reinstalled the master switch and windows are working fine.

I also sourced the leak in my cabin. I've been hunting this for a while now. The third tail light on the cab is the culprit. The gasket provided just isn't up to the task and had turned completely to dust. From what I've found its common even on trucks a year or two old. Picked up some marine weather stripping and replaced the gasket on the light. I cleaned up the mating surfaces and slapped it on. Doesn't leak at all now.

I made an appointment for some front end work. That will be fun.

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Just more update stuff for those who read and my own logging.

Got the front end work done. All new ball joints, tie rod ends, and tightened up the steering box a bit to try and pull up some of the slop. Got another appointment for realignment to get everything dialed back in.

I’ve also found that in my 3500 miles so far I’ve made about a quart of oil so I’ll have to have the engine checked for blow by and the injectors checked for failure. It doesn’t have injector tick but it’s concerning to me if one is stuck open and washing down it’s going to be an expensive fix. It could also be the longer idle times from winter, or issues relating to the EGR system. Some of the truck forums tend to feel that the egr should be the first thing I address to try and rectify it as it’s generally less expensive than injectors or rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Did front brakes today. Real awesome job. The rotors and caliper are comically huge.

Pretty smooth and straight forward except for the passenger side where the caliper bolts had frozen solid and the brake didn’t work at all. Made getting it all apart a total nightmare.

Had a little help from my nephew and brother.

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Got the wobbles. Stay tuned for a trackbar install and months of my front axle not being centered because I'm too cheap to pay someone. I figured it was coming 60k with the factory trackbar on a 3.5" lift running E rated 35s.

My nephew loves it, taught him to call it the brodozer.

·
Little Homie
12,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Well, the wobbles finally broke me and i got a track bar. The bushings in the factory trackbar are not that far gone but the stock bar is akin to a wet noodle.

I've opted for a good beefy metalcloak adjustable one, it has the benefit of better bushings, solid chromoly and being gold for that bling.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts