ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wanna put a 6 speed mt in my 5 speed 2014 wrx, beside trans, rear diff, and front and rear axles what else will I need?

·
10,473 Posts
If I remember the rest. Hubs, drive shaft, shift linkage, dccd controller, I think the bolt pattern changed and that required new wheels, although you may be able to find a year that fits with a matching bolt pattern.

This is an extremely expensive ordeal, why not sell the wrx and buy the sti at a cheaper overall cost?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I remember the rest. Hubs, drive shaft, shift linkage, dccd controller, I think the bolt pattern changed and that required new wheels, although you may be able to find a year that fits with a matching bolt pattern.

This is an extremely expensive ordeal, why not sell the wrx and buy the sti at a cheaper overall cost?

True this car just fully paid for and 4th gear has developed a really bad grind going from 3rd to 4th. So I thought Id see about upgrading the driveline

·
10,473 Posts
Remember the precise cost off the top of my head but the swap in its entirety was pushing 10k

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
335 Posts
There are a few ways to do this swap. The full factory swap, the only one I recommend, is going to cost a MINIMUM of $10k. I started researching this process back when I had an ‘11 WRX Sedan and backed off after a few quotes.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
335 Posts
If I remember the rest. Hubs, drive shaft, shift linkage, dccd controller..
Yup. You can have your current shafts machined and save a few thousand but a lot of shops don’t offer it. You can also forgo the DCCD Controller and run with an Open Diff as a default. I think you can go with a Viscous Setup too. If you’re dead set on a swap then see what your local Subaru Shop recommends.

·
10,473 Posts
Yup. You can have your current shafts machined and save a few thousand but a lot of shops don’t offer it. You can also forgo the DCCD Controller and run with an Open Diff as a default. I think you can go with a Viscous Setup too. If you’re dead set on a swap then see what your local Subaru Shop recommends.
The dccd is the most important part of the 6speed

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
335 Posts
The dccd is the most important part of the 6speed
I’d say the strength of the trans itself is probably the most important part. That’s usually what draws people into the idea of the swap to begin with.

·
10,473 Posts
I’d say the strength of the trans itself is probably the most important part. That’s usually what draws people into the idea of the swap to begin with.
The dccd is what makes the transmission what it is though. Strength aside the biggest advantage of the sti performance wise is that dccd. When it comes to the later GRs that 5 speed was mighty stout and you don't hear the glass transmission horror stories of the earlier ones.

·
BooSTIng
2,223 Posts
The dccd is what makes the transmission what it is though. Strength aside the biggest advantage of the sti performance wise is that dccd. When it comes to the later GRs that 5 speed was mighty stout and you don't hear the glass transmission horror stories of the earlier ones.
The GR's, I believe starting in 08, wrx 5 speeds started using the LGT gears I believe. Making them much stronger than the previous "glass" transmissions. But still don't hold a light to the STi tranny.

·
10,473 Posts
The GR's, I believe starting in 08, wrx 5 speeds started using the LGT gears I believe. Making them much stronger than the previous "glass" transmissions. But still don't hold a light to the STi tranny.
Still, strength is important but there is a notable strength gain in the GR that if you are blasting gears in that while in cobb staged tune power rangers you'll crush the sti box too

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
335 Posts
Right. Don’t think they can even handle a third of the power an STI Trans can.

·
10,473 Posts
What do you think the odds are WRX transmissions are dying to lack of power holding vs horrendous driving habits?

There are numerous 400hp 5Speed GRs floating around the streets with no transmission troubles.

·
BooSTIng
2,223 Posts
There are people with stock STi transmissions running 1000hp with nothing more than an upgraded clutch. I will be getting my STi back Friday and I should be somewhere between 650-700whp. Only tranny upgrade is the clutch. I have the ACT Xtreme. Once it goes I will more than likely be upgrading to a exedy twin disc clutch.

·
BooSTIng
2,223 Posts
What do you think the odds are WRX transmissions are dying to lack of power holding vs horrendous driving habits?

There are numerous 400hp 5Speed GRs floating around the streets with no transmission troubles.
Now this I 100% agree with. Driving habits destroy more transmissions than power does. North of 600whp the STi trans probably wont last either with poor driving habits and launching all the time. That's why people like Bader and JR that are building these cars with 1000+whp are doing dog box or ppg gear sets. Because even the STi transmission cant take that kind of abuse at higher HP.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
335 Posts

I’d say 4:1 due to bad driving habits.

·
10,473 Posts
There are people with stock STi transmissions running 1000hp with nothing more than an upgraded clutch. I will be getting my STi back Friday and I should be somewhere between 650-700whp. Only tranny upgrade is the clutch. I have the ACT Xtreme. Once it goes I will more than likely be upgrading to a exedy twin disc clutch.
All the ones I know of that are anything but garage queens that make that power have long dropped the6 speed for a sequential box

·
Æternum
15,132 Posts
Because people neither have the patience nor the grey matter to truly comprehend the advantages of the STI transmission compared to the WRX transmission.

They understand "hOw StRoNG iS iT" because it's easy to comprehend. Talk about differentials and I can hear the blood draining from across the internet.

So yeah, I guess I agree with you even if it makes me sick to my stomach.

OP -- before you waste untold volumes of cash, consider replacing your transmission fluid. You might find that the synchro grind vanishes. Or, you know, do what you want ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
335 Posts
..OP -- before you waste untold volumes of cash, consider replacing your transmission fluid. You might find that the synchro grind vanishes..
Agreed. There’s a “Cocktail” offered for the Evo 5spd that works wonders. Don’t know if one has been bundled for the WRX 5spd though.

·
Æternum
15,132 Posts
Agreed. There’s a “Cocktail” offered for the Evo 5spd that works wonders. Don’t know if one has been bundled for the WRX 5spd though.

Yes, "Uncle Scotty's Cocktail" --> lots on that one over at NASIOC.

I've used it and it does work. Supposedly it reduces synchro grind by promoting corrosion, so whether it's a good thing or not is questionable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts