Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my WRX for a month now. I have a lot of plans for it, but I can't make money fast enough, especially with other bills. Here are done and planned mods...

Cosmetic:

Disable daytime running lights - Done
Clear side markers - Done
STi mesh fog light covers
Jun eyelids - on order
tinted windows
Rims & Tires
Debadge trunk

Performance:

3/16" Mod - Done
Grounding mod - almost done
front and rear sway / strut bars
Many many others when warranty expires.

I'm looking for somewhat cheap performance mods that won't void warranty. If it does void warranty, something that is easily reversable to factory. Plus the mods have to be easily installed by somebody that isn't car savvy or have EXCELLENT, step by step instructions. Most of my future mods I plan on paying somebody to install, because I'm too cautious to mess around the car myself. I'd try it if the instructions are well well written and have pics of every step.

I was thinking about strut bars because they aren't that expensive and are extremely easy to install, but I read here that they won't do much good unless suspension work has been done. Sway bars would be nice, but as I said, I'm not car savvy. Are BOVs easy to install and do they void warranty? Short shifters? I'd like some gauges. Do they come with good instructions?

Can anybody help?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Verbal,

looks like you're relatively new to the club. Good to have you onboard.

As for performance mods and warranty, I think it comes down to what the dealer thinks. It really wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer some questions. Mine flat out told me that exhuast work would be fine. He even told me that a guy w/ 350 hp came by and gave him a ride (a hella of a ride, I think) and they still honored the guy's warranty claims. So don't get spooked about warranty issues. get more real info.

I can relate to not wanting to do mods on my own car. But with the help of a friend we installed short shifter and boost guage. Step-by-step directions for common mods are available between here and I-Club. It may be a good idea, after reading the directions, to get additional hints by posting.

I think new wheels and gauges would be a nice start. After that, you can go into boost controllers and uppipe/exhuast work. You'll prbably see significant gain at that point. If that's not enough, then I'm afraid nothing will satisfy short of a new turbo and intercooler... :D

And as you said, the consensus is that strut bars are not worth it, but rear sways are. Don't decide on mods based upon cheap and easy install...that doesn't sound like a good strategy.

dan.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If I had it all to do over again:

Engine Performance
Programmed UNICHIP with a plug-n-play harness. Easy to install and remove. Cost you <$1000 and will return a nice gain in drivability andperformance. Try Vishnu or TurboXs. They both have the UNICHIP and a p-n-p harness. They both have very good directions for the install, as well.

Brakes
Hawk HP Plus pads (great alternative to a big brake kit)
Stainless Steel brake lines (optional)

Suspension
springs and sway bars

I did the brake and suspension stuff on the first go-round. Engine performance, I went with the APS/COBB Club Spec kit. Very nice imporovement, but pricey @ $3000 installed. You can do better with the Vishnu Stage 0, considering bang for the buck.

There is plenty of info on this site. Try a search on performance
upgrades. I got 72 hits, although you may want to narrow that search by adding "engine", "suspension" or "brakes" to your search.

Good Luck.

Peace,

Curtis

Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I'd add brake fluid to the list. See the tech reference sticky in suspension and handling for some ideas.

Sway bars are pretty easy to install. A BOV won't help performance, just make a bunch of noise. A performance alignment makes a big difference and is cheap and won't effect the warranty at all. Definitely ditching the RE92s is the best handling upgrade you can do.

A good search tip is to limit your search to a particular forum. You'll get better info that way without having to wade through posts on forums like "Everyday", WRX vs. World", etc.

Chris

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
remmeber, you can't void the ENTIRE warranty with just one mod. it's up to the dealer to prove that you're modification was the casue of the issue they want to deny coverage for.

i would say wheels and tires. forget the strut bars. they look cool, but add nothing. get SWAYbars instead.

a boostcontroller ($50) will be easy to replace before warranty work, and will deliver a lot more power than stock.

dR

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't mind doing the work myself. But without somebody helping me and making sure I'm doing things right, I don't feel comfortable at all. Like I said, unless I have EXACT step by step instructions WITH pictures for every step, then I'd rather not try. Or if I had a friend that did the same install, but I don't.

I'll have to give my service guy a call and ask him about the warranty.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
with the information and help provided here, you could install the boost controller in under 15 minutes by yourself. we have detailed pictures, and thorough installation instructions from a number of sources, included many of our members.

don't count on a lot of help from the service guy from your dealership. typically they are not informed at all as to what your rights are, and are happy to just tell you that any modifications "will void your warranty" remember, dealerships don't make much or any money on service and warranty work. they make money selling cars. so they're more content to tell you they won't work on the car at all or will shortcut to save themselves a buck.

run a search on the site for the "Magnusson Moss Act" it's all about warranty and aftermarket modifications and how it is designed to protect the owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts