Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX..without turbo?

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  RayfieldsWRX 
#1 ·
How fast do you guys think our cars would really be without turbo?:rolleyes:

#6 ·
I'm thinking it would feel a bit like my Ford Ranger pickup truck. (4banger) It doesn't have enough torque to pull a greasy string from a duck's butt.

#7 ·
this is a real dumb manuver but i was installing my turbo at school in a parking lot at walmart...and this manager came out and gave us $hit for it. We asked if we could stay but he said we had to leave or he was going to call the police. The old turbo was still on but not connected, and the MAF was unplugged. I had to drive the car like this for a short distance..across the street. THe car ran fine actually, but felt like crap...and sound so incredibly loud...as in actual jet engine starting loud. It was cool sounding but i felt bad for my motor...bastard manager!!!

#8 ·
haha, my g/f asked this exact question about 2 days ago. the way i figure it is to look at 1/4 mile times.
2.5rs will run a mid-high 15sec 1/4. but that is with the 2.5L, and the wrx is 2.0
not to mention the compression level difference since the wrx engine is setup for turbo. If i was to make a rough guess, i am going to say we are looking at a mid-high 16sec car... which would mean stock civics could make us look dumb.

wrx AWHP is about 170-180ish-correct me if i am wrong
take away the turbo, (although a small turbo) still probably making up about 40-50awhp. so now you have a 120awhp car that weighs just over 3000lbs and has horrible compression and an exhaust to big for what it produces and etc.....

thats one slow ass car.

(thing I love the most about the rex is that if the turbo ever does blow, you can get a used tdo4 for about $200, or get a faster, bigger, upgraded vf35 (lets say) with injectors and pump for under $1000.

#9 ·
DTR maxima said:
(thing I love the most about the rex is that if the turbo ever does blow, you can get a used tdo4 for about $200, or get a faster, bigger, upgraded vf35 (lets say) with injectors and pump for under $1000.
Don't forget the additional cost of engine management! Won't do too well with larger injectors without it! :)

#10 ·
RayfieldsWRX said:
Don't forget the additional cost of engine management! Won't do too well with larger injectors without it! :)
indeed engine management would be good... but in that same circumstance, if you were low on cash and your td04 blew, you definatly run at a low psi for a while with just basic bolts on's, FP, FI, and the turbo...
but yes, eventually you would need to get some EM to run efficiently
even still though... wouldnt accessport being good enough? and that what, $400?

#12 ·
the car totally sux with out the turbo, i know it because there is a time i play with SAFA out of gauges(how dumb back then). the computer might feel something is wrong, it shut out the turbo. image the torque at 1k rpm at 2nd or 3nd gear, is carry on till red line

#13 ·
DTR maxima said:
indeed engine management would be good... but in that same circumstance, if you were low on cash and your td04 blew, you definatly run at a low psi for a while with just basic bolts on's, FP, FI, and the turbo...
but yes, eventually you would need to get some EM to run efficiently
even still though... wouldnt accessport being good enough? and that what, $400?
Yep, AP is fairly cheap, compared to other alternatives. I've never tried it to see, but the conventional wisdom here is that the car will run VERY poorly with aftermarket fuel injectors and no EM. You could exclude them from the equation, run low boost on the larger turbo, and limp along 'til you got an AccessPort or UTEC.

#14 ·
DTR rex said:
If i was to make a rough guess, i am going to say we are looking at a mid-high 16sec car... which would mean stock civics could make us look dumb.

wrx AWHP is about 170-180ish-correct me if i am wrong
take away the turbo, (although a small turbo) still probably making up about 40-50awhp. so now you have a 120awhp car that weighs just over 3000lbs and has horrible compression and an exhaust to big for what it produces and etc.....

thats one slow ass car.

Sounds like my old 1998 RAV4. :tongue:

2.0L, 5spd, AWD, weighed in about the same as the WRX. 130HP at the crank. PERFECT winter vehicle though.

#21 ·
Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!:)

Great movie...

Virgil Malloy: Watch it, bud.
Turk Malloy: Who you calling bud, pal?
Virgil Malloy: Who you calling pal, friend?
Turk Malloy: Who you calling friend, jackass?!
Virgil Malloy: Don't call me a jackass.
Turk Malloy: I just did call you a jackass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.