Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raced a sweet looking gmc typhoon today!!

saw the truck on the highway so I caught up to just look at it.
they are fairly rare. they are turbo charged and awd v6.
this one was black and not a scratch on it, it look brand new.
when I pulled up next to it , to look at it, the guy decided to go for it!!
we were crusing about 75 or 80 mph when it started. he pulled about 4 feet before I decided to down shift to third and floored it. I started to pull medium to slowly then shifted to fourth. still pulling, passed him, shifted to 5th and he was pretty far back. I was approaching speeds in exsees of 120 mph and we were comming up on traffic, so I slowed it down. After he caught up I rolled my window down and we exchanged thumbs up signs.

very fun race!!!

by the way I have :

uppipe, downpipe, no cats, axelback, samco intercoler hoses, blitz sbc-id set at 14.8 psi, green panel filter with hack, grounding mod, amoung other non-power mods:D

laying the smack-down,
jeyguy

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ok so someone else has seen one of these. I raced one from a light on 76th st in Milwaukee one day... I was amazed at how fast that thing really was. I hit my launch and jumped a few car lengths but he held on and stayed fairly close until we cut out due to ****ty road and traffic.

·
Registered
167 Posts
jetguy said:

by the way I have :

uppipe, downpipe, no cats, axelback, samco intercoler hoses, blitz sbc-id set at 14.8 psi, green panel filter with hack, grounding mod, amoung other non-power mods:D

laying the smack-down,
jeyguy
with your mods jetguy, a simple cheap resonator pipe will show a noticable increase in power

im assuming you dont have one since you listed your exhaust mods as just downpipe and axleback, leaving the section inbetween as stock 2.25" right?

you can just go to any muffler shop and get a cheap pipe with flanges welded to it for less than $100, or pay *slightly* more and get a resonator welded on as well to keep sound down. important thing is that your piping is at least as big as your axleback (2.5" or 3"?)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you really think replaceing my stock pipe that has the stock resinator in it, would open up any extra horses?

I have a godspeed catless uppipe, godspeed usdm 3" bellmouth downpipe coustom welded to a 3" to 2.5" flex section welded to my stock resinator pipe, bolted to my prodrive axelback

by the way I did some reseach:
a stock typhoon will top out at 125 mph:(

o-60 times and 1/4 mile times are very close to a stock wrx.

it also will beat a stock ferrari 348ts in the 1/4 mile!!!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
A Typhoon is a monster on the low end but after 70 or so you're pushing a refrigerator through the air. One with basic mods and a torque converter will net MEAN 60ft times because they have a big engine and can powerbrake. They put the "sport" in SUV.

·
Registered
167 Posts
jetguy said:
you really think replaceing my stock pipe that has the stock resinator in it, would open up any extra horses?

I have a godspeed catless uppipe, godspeed usdm 3" bellmouth downpipe coustom welded to a 3" to 2.5" flex section welded to my stock resinator pipe, bolted to my prodrive axelback

by the way I did some reseach:
a stock typhoon will top out at 125 mph:(

o-60 times and 1/4 mile times are very close to a stock wrx.

it also will beat a stock ferrari 348ts in the 1/4 mile!!!!!
stock piping is 2.5"? it looks smaller, like 2.25 i think.

and since you welded it on instead of bolting on it might make everything harder to change around i guess. well if the stock piping is 2.25 and not 2.5 (i believe that's right), it should give you some power, though not as much as i thought originally since the prodrive is 2.5" and not 3" like i thought it might be. i'm sure there's still some difference between having it 2.25 vs having it as 2.5 though, just make sure that the stock piping is 2.25 and not already 2.5 or it would be pointless to do anything

·
Registered
125 Posts
One with simply a chip and exhaust can produce over 470 ft/lbs of torque.

I have seen one go at it off the line and that was BY FAR the fastest 0-60 rocket I've ever seen. This was back in 1991. He took my 1991 5.0 auto Stang. Like about 20 cars. Stang was slow.

You'd have to be modded in a WRX to even think about hanging with one.

True, they die out at higher speeds. Top out at like 120.

I would STRUGGLE against a modded one 0-60 (me being about 4.0 seconds flat). Should kill one though. WRX would be a great fight!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote from mustang owner:

"You'd have to be modded in a WRX to even think about hanging with one. "

from www.car-stats.com

GMC typhoon 0-60: 5.3sec 1/4 mile 14.1 sec

subaru wrx 0-60: 5.4sec 1/4 mile 14.1 sec

I think stock for stock there is no closer numbers to the wrx.
there for you would not "have to be modded to think about hanging."

I think with a $50 mbc the wrx would eat the Typhoon, and if were just stock it would still be very very close.

the jetguy

·
Registered
211 Posts
back in 91

damn...03cobra beat me to the punch......I was just going to say, I was in that 91 mustang GT he had back then that got completely EATEN by the typhoon......this guy did a power brake....and the entire truck shook.....when the light turned green he was already through the intersection before Mikes mustang even passed the white line ......i've never seen anything move like that, besides a bike......we were sure the guy had some kind of mods to take us that hard but we never caught up with him to find out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
jetguy said:
quote from mustang owner:

"You'd have to be modded in a WRX to even think about hanging with one. "

from www.car-stats.com

GMC typhoon 0-60: 5.3sec 1/4 mile 14.1 sec

subaru wrx 0-60: 5.4sec 1/4 mile 14.1 sec

I think stock for stock there is no closer numbers to the wrx.
there for you would not "have to be modded to think about hanging."

I think with a $50 mbc the wrx would eat the Typhoon, and if were just stock it would still be very very close.

the jetguy
Pretty sure he was talking about a Typhoon with a chip and exhaust, not just a stock Typhoon.

I've raced the Typhoon's little brother before, the Cyclone (sp?) I raced it in my '89 LX 5.0, and it absolutely destroyed me off the line. I couldn't catch up so it took me by quite a few car lengths in the 1/4. It had a chip and exhaust, so I have no idea what kind of numbers he was running. I'd love to find one now, I think I could give them a good race even modded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts