Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a couple of searches and I just want to confirm with someone who has installed one. From what I think I have read, the rear strut tower bar is the same for the wagon and the sedan on the WRX. Is this right?

And for anyone who has installed one on their WRX wagon, was it worth the money? Is it a noticable improvement?

Thanks,

·
Registered
316 Posts
God,

How about you install the Cusco CF rear strut bar on your car, tell us how it performs, and when there is a buyer, then you take it off your car and sell it :D

j/k!!;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
God,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hey Dan, it's the end of the year...can't you just throw all of that stuff on your car and then write it off as a business expense?:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
refuse2growup said:
. . . for anyone who has installed one on their WRX wagon, was it worth the money? Is it a noticable improvement?
YES, YES, YES! This is the best "bang for the buck" suspension upgrade for the wagon except for new tires/wheels. I have the full STi suspension on my wagon, and had the opportunity to test drive back-to-back with a stock wagon and a wagon with just the sway-bar. All had identical stock tires and wheels. The rear sway bar makes a huge difference in the amount of roll in the curves. If you get the rear-sway kit, you get all new performance bushings (front and rear) and anti-lift kit too - all for less than $150.

Ah, but one word of warning . . . installing all those bushings involves a fair amount of labor. Both the front and rear suspensions have to be dropped out to "press" in the new bushings. Your friendly neighborhood Subaru Dealer would probably get you for $400-$600 in labor for this job.

At any rate, the wagon I drove was a Self-Install job with just the rear sway. He hadn't gotten around to the bushings yet, but it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
swaybar

Did the sway bar on my wagon but not the bushings perhaps sometime in the future. Great results from the change much better handling. Dealer cost for the bushings $400 to $600 not cheap and not sure what improvement this would make.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate the feedback guys, however I was actually asking about the strut tower brace, not the sway bar. But thanks again for replying.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I got the rear strut tower brace for xmas. It is from Whiteline and they do offer a different one for the wagon vs. the sedan. The wagon tower mounts are slightly different shaped than the sedan. I was told that was to allow the cosmetic tower cap to be reinstalled after the brace is in place.

The installation was simple and only took about 20 minutes including finding the right sockets, etc.

It might be all in my head, but I think the car (wagon) feels much tighter now and I haven't even installed the sway bar yet (doing that tomorrow). I took the car down a couple of familiar rural roads that I have driven hard many times and the car feels more solid and more planted than before. Like I said, it's probably all in my head though...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
R2G (sorry for the Star Wars esque abbreviation) :),

I imagine that the difference is real. I have heard that a rear strut brace for the sedan isn't needed as there is a structural cross member behind the rear seats that effectively braces the strut towers. Guys, is this true?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
R2G (sorry for the Star Wars esque abbreviation)
No problem as I am a Star Wars geek from long ago. However, I prefer R2GU :D

I can actually remember seeing the original Star Wars in the theater. I bet not many people on this forum can...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
refuse2growup said:

I can actually remember seeing the original Star Wars in the theater. I bet not many people on this forum can...
R2GU;) ,

I, too, can remember seeing Star Wars (the original) in the theater numerous times.

What an experience!:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also saw Star Wars in the theaters when it was first released (3 times). :)

I'm a new WRX owner (got my car Dec 27th 2001) and am considering some suspension mods. I have the 5-spd sedan with 16 inch wheels. I've driven a Mazda Miata for the past 10+ years and the WRX is my first Subaru, my first AWD car, and my first turbo!

I was going to get front and rear strut braces, but someone above said that the rear brace is not necessary in the sedan, can anyone confirm this? How will the front strut bar change the handling of the car other than reducing body roll? I am also going to get a thicker rear sway bar (21mm) which I understand will "dial out" some of the understeer, how bout a 22mm?

Sorry for all the questions but I am eager to try and get the most of my new toy's cornering!

·
Registered
13 Posts
star wars and wrx

they must go together. I remember when the number of times you had seen the movie was a badge you wore proudly.
I also remember standing in line for a LONG time over and over.
anyway.
I think i need to run to the store for ... hmmm for.. ice cream yeah thats what i need

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Smaug and MAGMORE, welcome to the board! I definitely think the connection between Star Wars (the original) and WRX is something that should be investigated. ;)

Smaug, I recommend you do some searches with the keywords you've mentioned (i.e. swaybars, strut brace, etc.). I think that you'll find tons of info to get you started. Actually, it'll probably be even more confusing, but at least you can begin to make educated descisions about the mods you do, and in what order.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts