Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the arrival of my summer tire equipped WRX imminent(Tho I'm not sure 26 days is REALLY imminent), and winter in Colorado probably hot on it's heels, I have begun to wonder...Is anyone running AS tires on their WRX?

I know it's a performance car, w/ a performance car tire size, but not being made of money and having limited space in my garage, I was intending on purchasing All Season tires.

I have had a lot of luck w/ the Toyo Proxes 4 on my old GTI VR6 and my A4. I loved those tires on both of those cars.
I spoke to a couple of tire shops today (both of whom said they would take the tires off the Scooby and give me a $50 credit to my surprise), one recommended the Michelin Pilot Sport AS the other the Continental Extreme Contact DWS over the Toyo's...

If you are running AS on yer WRX, what tires have you had that you've liked or not liked?

(note: I've posted this same question on nasioc as I'm really curious what the WRX community in general does in this regard)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Personally... I'm definitely going for a set of snow tires come late November. I'm in a pretty similar situation (little money and living in CO), but honestly a good set of snow tires is amazing and if it keeps you on the road they will totally have paid for themselves.

I suppose it depends on how much winter driving you do too... but I got over 40 days skiing last winter and this will be my first winter with my WRX. AWD + snow tires is pretty killer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have Continental DWS's on my car and they are the best tire I have ever owned. They are plenty sticky for me in summer but can still handle Wisconsin winters. I think the heaviest storm last year dropped 17 inches of snow and I never had a problem with traction. I highly recommend them.

Reactions: the x-man

·
Æternum
15,935 Posts
I've been running all season tires on my WRX since I bought it. It's not bad... Though, I may go with the summer/winter combo in the near future. Tires make all the difference!

·
Good news, everyone!
2,013 Posts
I've used all season tires the last 4 winters here in UT. Takes a little more careful driving, but they get the job done.

Dedicated winters are preferable though, by a long shot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks...I s'pose, since I already have the summers, I could store them (I could find the room if I REALLY want to) and pick up some winter tires...

I appreciate the input :thumbup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought my 2010 wrx in January of this year, and went the all season route with some Pirelli Pzero Nero All Season tires and they did fairly well with all the snow we had last winter.

I was able to sell the stock dunlops that had 500 miles on them for about $200 for the set. QUITE the bummer. (considering they retail for $160 a piece).

If you are looking to go the winter tire route, you could look into seeing if any local car owners / subby members have used tires they no longer want. I know of some people that got some gently used tires/rims for $500 for the set (not shabby).

One thing to keep in mind, with different wheels is that you'll either need a tpms sensor in each wheel or you'll have the tire pressure light on constantly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
539 Posts
With the arrival of my summer tire equipped WRX imminent(Tho I'm not sure 26 days is REALLY imminent), and winter in Colorado probably hot on it's heels, I have begun to wonder...Is anyone running AS tires on their WRX?

I know it's a performance car, w/ a performance car tire size, but not being made of money and having limited space in my garage, I was intending on purchasing All Season tires.

I have had a lot of luck w/ the Toyo Proxes 4 on my old GTI VR6 and my A4. I loved those tires on both of those cars.
I spoke to a couple of tire shops today (both of whom said they would take the tires off the Scooby and give me a $50 credit to my surprise), one recommended the Michelin Pilot Sport AS the other the Continental Extreme Contact DWS over the Toyo's...

If you are running AS on yer WRX, what tires have you had that you've liked or not liked?

(note: I've posted this same question on nasioc as I'm really curious what the WRX community in general does in this regard)
Well I can't really recommend any good all seasons since I run summer tires and have separate rims with snow tires but I have to comment on this.

They are going to let you buy some all seasons and as them being so nice they will give you a $50 credit and take your BRAND NEW WRX TIRES! Dude Keep them and sell them on the boards. Brand new they are probably somewhere around the $200 per tire range. I'm sure someone would gladly pay you $200 bucks for all 4.

Hell when the wrx first came out I slammed my Rs and literally beat the piss out of my car around the twisties basically every day. The Re92's wouldn't last me 8k miles. All the guys buying wrx's changed the tires right away and I'd snag up new Re92's for $100 brand new shipped. lol. These stock tires are far better then RE92's but $200 would off set buying all seasons. Less money out of your pocket.

·
Premium Member
12,314 Posts
I had Toyo Proxes. They were decent however the Bridgestone 960AS were superior. But yeah, I'm shopping for winter tires instead now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Continental DWS's on my car and they are the best tire I have ever owned. They are plenty sticky for me in summer but can still handle Wisconsin winters. I think the heaviest storm last year dropped 17 inches of snow and I never had a problem with traction. I highly recommend them.
Hey, In June I brought three new OEM Dunlops. Last week ran over something sharp and near the driver's rear tire wall. While all the tires have about 7-8/32nds left, I decided to switch to Continental DWS 06 Plus UHP. Ill update after their installed and have had some time to test them out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts