ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've been doing some searching and im ready to trade in my 350Z for a WRX. I found one but its the TR version. I searched on this forum but besides the crappy seats , unpainted mirror and fog lights.. is it really that bad??? Is there anyway to get the regular wrx seats and put them in?
Any input would be great.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Only you can answer "how bad" a TR version is. Consider though that you'll spend your time inside the car, whereas people that don't matter (everyone else, in other words) will spend time outside it, looking at it. I'd pay more attention to how the inside looks to you than how anything else looks to them.

You can purchase used seats from someone that's bought replacements, or pay a prince's ransom to buy new seats from a dealer. Or, you can just buy the model with the seats you prefer (I'd opt for the latter option).

·
Registered
132 Posts
My buddy had the tr and honestly the seats weren't that bad. maybe they aren't heated but they aren't bad. Honestly, I think that the wrx and the tr are really the same to me but the wrx has certain features that the tr but it gets the job done. :p

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been doing some searching and im ready to trade in my 350Z for a WRX. I found one but its the TR version. I searched on this forum but besides the crappy seats , unpainted mirror and fog lights.. is it really that bad??? Is there anyway to get the regular wrx seats and put them in?
Any input would be great.
No they aren't that bad, functionally they are the same.

TR was only offered in the 2006-2007 Model Year.

Several minor differences.

Differences:

Seats.
non painted mirrors.
Manual Climate control.
Crappy Din Stereo.
No Std Sideskirts, offered as an option. Come with painted rockers.
Weighs less.
$1000 cheaper new.

Common Misconceptions:

1. TR's come with no wing!!
****A wing is optional on all WRX's except the STi and the LTD (edit: grumble grumble [email protected] this grumble grumble).

2. TR's don't have an Autodimming rearview mirror.
*****Again here that was an option on all WRX's.

3. TR's don't thave fog lights!!!
******Yet another option Misconseption.

Aside from seat appearance, I actually find them more comfortable than there normal WRX counterparts. I have done several comfortable 600mile + trips in them. I like them.

The stock Stereo is gone never planned on keeping it.

Fog lights are useless here, I know had them on my last car.

I dislike auto climate control.

Painted mirrors suck cause they chip too easy, plus my car is black, raw plastic is fine.

My side skirts are sleeker looking and I like them.

Mine came with Auto dimming Rear view.

Mine came with a wing.

I'm glad I saved $1000.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
2. TR's come with no wing!!
****A wing is optional on all WRX's except the STi.

Wrong. The LTD comes standard with a "wing". Also if I recall the Blaze Yellow Bugeyes come standard with the wing as well.

When I added up everything the LTD was well worth it for me. When I traded it in the price difference I paid carried over into trade in so it wasnt like I lost much money as opposed to a TR.

Is one better then the other...nope. Will one probaly fit what you are looking for better then the other...yup.

·
Registered
374 Posts
So the TR is a trim offered for the WRX? Similiar to the STi and STi limited? Is the TR lighter than the std WRX? Coming from the Evo world I'm guessing the trim is like the RS version of the Evo. Please excuse my ignorance, just want a better understanding.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
So the TR is a trim offered for the WRX? Similiar to the STi and STi limited? Is the TR lighter than the std WRX? Coming from the Evo world I'm guessing the trim is like the RS version of the Evo. Please excuse my ignorance, just want a better understanding.

thanks.
The WRX TR, WRX, and WRX LTD are all the same car. Same motor, same drivetrain, same tranny, same turbo, same everything.

The difference is really the interior, radio, climate controls, some minor exterior things, and some other friendly do-dads (heated seats, heated mirrors, heated wipers, sunroof, etc).

The weight savings is really minor if any.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts

thanks.
You are correct in assuming it is similar to the RS version of the EVo, just less stripped down than that ;). Yes the TR was a trim level offered only in 2006-2007 of the WRX. It is the lightest WRX of those years weighing in at 3175 I believe.

Edit:

Interesting this says they are the same weight as normal WRX's.....meh.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2006.html

Wrong. The LTD comes standard with a "wing"
Fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help everyone. Sounds like the TR is the winner for me. Unless i could get an STI or STI limited.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The TR DOES NOT come with any sideskirts. Please show me a TR out there that has skirts on it from the factory. Mine came with none, they are just the bare painted rocker panels. I had to add 05 skirts to mine. And, there is no option on the 06 for skirts, the 2006-2007 wrx came with the same skirts that the STi came with and nothing else. So its either no skirts, or the wrx/STi skirts.

Also does not come with a spoiler, has a radio that is a joke, unpainted mirrors, manual HVAC, and different seats....all of which I didnt really give a **** about having really.

Oh, and I did have my TR come with fog lights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The TR DOES NOT come with any sideskirts. Please show me a TR out there that has skirts on it from the factory. Mine came with none, they are just the bare painted rocker panels. I had to add 05 skirts to mine.

Also does not come with a spoiler, has a radio that is a joke, unpainted mirrors, manual HVAC, and different seats....all of which I didnt really give a **** about having really.

whats a manual hvac?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sorry, I meant manual temp/fan controls. No auto climate controls like the regular wrx.

I think HVAC because thats what I deal with for work, ha.

I love my TR, if you can live with the differences above I say its worth picking one up.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
whats a manual hvac?

A system that makes the user slide selector switches to blue or red and an A/C switch to on or off in order to set cabin temperature, as opposed to a climate control system that senses the interior temperature, allows the user to simply select a target temperature, and uses the A/C and heater as needed to maintain that target temperature.

Think 1970s technology vs. 1980s technology (my first car with climate control was a 1985 model).

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
The TR DOES NOT come with any sideskirts. Please show me a TR out there that has skirts on it from the factory. Mine came with none, they are just the bare painted rocker panels. I had to add 05 skirts to mine. And, there is no option on the 06 for skirts, the 2006-2007 wrx came with the same skirts that the STi came with and nothing else. So its either no skirts, or the wrx/STi skirts.

I stand corrected....painted rockers are fine with me.

whats a manual hvac?
See SD_GR above.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Pick up a set of 04-05 skirts, paint them black to match the car and you'll be set.
Paint the stock rims gold as well, or change them out for aftermarket.

Its a nice car. Same as mine.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Pick up a set of 04-05 skirts, paint them black to match the car and you'll be set.
Paint the stock rims gold as well, or change them out for aftermarket.

Its a nice car. Same as mine.

That pic is old I have OZ superleggeras now. Side skirts are no big deal with me, I like not having them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts