Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at sonic when I decided to race my friend who recently installed a turbo in his integra GSR. We pull to an empty road and begin to rev our engines. We both launch and pull 1 car length ahead of him. When it gets to around 60 he catches up with me, and then after that he just pull up 1.5 car lengths ahead of me. I later also raced him on a roll and he juss pull 2 car lengths a head of me and it practally stays thats way for the rest of the race. Oh well its ok my car is like stock but still his integra was pretty impressive. I believe he is only running at 6-7 psi.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In a stock WRX, I would keep an eye out for some of those turbo'd Integras and Preludes. The GSR is already 170 hp, so I'd imagine even the cheapest GReddy turbo kits would add 15-20 hp at the crankshaft. And if they have something more extreme like a T3 or something, then they could very well be putting out just as much hp as a Subie. Maybe more. And the Prelude is a whole different story... it's already 200 hp out the box!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
DeeezNuuuts83 said:
In a stock WRX, I would keep an eye out for some of those turbo'd Integras and Preludes. The GSR is already 170 hp, so I'd imagine even the cheapest GReddy turbo kits would add 15-20 hp at the crankshaft. And if they have something more extreme like a T3 or something, then they could very well be putting out just as much hp as a Subie. Maybe more. And the Prelude is a whole different story... it's already 200 hp out the box!
I would think a turbo would add more than 15-20 hp. Using 35% percent of a cars perfromance as a rule of thumb and (www.howstuffworks.com) you could get 60 hp from a turbo on a GSR.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Shard said:
I would think a turbo would add more than 15-20 hp. Using 35% percent of a cars perfromance as a rule of thumb and (www.howstuffworks.com) you could get 60 hp from a turbo on a GSR.
I was being pessimistic about cheap turbo kits. Your average turbo kit for your average Honda VTEC should bring in more than what I had stated in an earlier post. But 60 hp would be more than a stock turbo kit; it would probably consist of a setup including expensive components and maybe a bit of engine work. In an issue of SCC that I just happened to have on my desk, HKS installed one of their turbos in a GSR, and its recorded max hp gain was 31.1, and its quarter mile time was still nowhere near that of a WRX.

·
Registered
14 Posts
60-80 HP at the crank

Most aftermarket turbo kits for the DOHC honda motors will give you an extra 60-80 hp at the crank, without any motor work. How long the pistons hold up is a different story. At 8psi my old car, a 00' Civic SI make 217 hp to the wheels and ran a 13.7 in the quarter mile. It also blew the ring landins off the pistons after two months and a couple of 12-15 psi boost spikes. Two engine rebuilds later and I bought the WRX. The WRX is a much more capable car than the GSR and has around the same price tag as an 01 GSR had new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has a greddy turbo hit. He also has a upgraded ACT clutch and flywheel. Recently he added an Apex N1 exhaust 3 inch piping. He raced the new mustang GT that had a flow master exhaust and intake and he took it by 3-5 cars.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
So 60 sounds like a fair number? Of course not talking of reliability. So we agree?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Ive been arounf alot of turbo GSR'd Hondas (civic, teg, w/e) and they usually make more HP then youre giving them credt for. Only prob is the wrong-wheel drive. I was in a teg w/a Drag gen III kit (T3/T4 hybrid) and it felt sick from a roll, but he was getting nasty wheelspin off the line. (14.1 @ 104 - yea that bad)

·
Registered
124 Posts
yes you can turbo preludes but their internals cant take it

there is about a 50% failure rate of people that do this
I considered turboing my prelude but in the end it was cheaper to buy an STi

but when turboed the lude do go very quick there is a guy with 327hp at the wheels on the honda boards he blew his engine a few months back and it's being rebuilt now I think he has put about $50k into the car

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Why would the H22a (prelude motor) be the worst one? Its the only honda engine w/a closed deck...making it better to handle boost stock than any B-series...

EDIT: my bad, no closed deck, only the ones upto '96 were closed. ima go slit my wrists for being wrong now....dammit...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts