Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, my hubby and I were driving home from a funeral, he was in his trans am and I was in my WRX. We pulled up to a light, side by side and he starts reving his engine. I couldn't believe it, I was openning up my window to ask him if he wanted to stop off at the store to get some whipped cream for some chocolate sundaes(dinner) we were going to make when we got home and instead of answering me he reved.

Anyway, I decided to go along with it. I reved back at him. I'd been wanting to do this for so long, especially since his Trans am is pretty bone stock as is my WRX with a few exceptions. Anyway, the light turns green and we take off. We were side by side pretty much the whole time except for towards the end when he pulled on me about a little less than 1 car length. It was a short run and I barely got into 4th gear when I had to slow down again for the next light.

I know it doesn't sound that exciting but it's still interesting to experience the difference in speed and performance with 2 cars that are so different.

Since I've owned this WRX, my husband has grown more and more attached to it and he really loves his car. Anyway, I think he's fallen in love with "Beauty of AWD" so he got a loan and he's going to buy a suby. It's not going to be a WRX because there's not enough $ but he's chosen a suby to be his daily driver.
AWD kicks A$$!

·
Registered
404 Posts
First off you should have killed him off the line if you raced from a dead stop. 5k drop clutch launch.
If your stock and he was with you off the line he should have pulled away from you as the race progressed.

If it was a LT1 Trans am it would be a good race. A WRX should easily take it off the line with the T.A slowly catching up toward 4 th gear.

If it was a LS1 Trans Am. A stock WRX should take it off the line but somewhere around the 2nd - 3rd gear shift the LS1 should start to walk by a stock WRX. Then towards the top of 3rd into 4th the LS1 will pull away hard.

The secret is to beat them off the line. A well driven WRX (Stock or Modded) should get a good 2 car jump off the line. Then its up the the other car to catch up. If your side by side coming off the line you did something wrong.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am not saying this is BS or anything. But I'm curious as to what year TA?

I have driven and ridden in both and the TA seemed QUITE a bit faster to me... Maybe 0-60 was about the same, but after that the TA moves along pretty hard.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is an LS1, 2000 Transam, the mods are: Ram Air Intake, some suspension work, Short throw shifter, and a catback exhaust.
My WRX has a Short Throw shifter, that is it.

Yes, the Trans am is faster. He didn't start to pull on me hard 'til I shifted into 4th. At that point I had to downshift because we were coming to a stop light. He had to start breaking a little sooner than I did which could've accounted for him not pulling on me more than he did. It was a VERY short run.

SGOSWRX, you're probably right, I most likely didn't get a good launch. I honestly don't know if we were side by side since the get go because I couldn't see him. I assumed he was there because I could hear him. I know that he wasn't able to get off the line right away. It didn't take him long to catch up at all.

Anyway, I had fun either way and that's all that matters to me, not that you think I am BSing you or that you think I completely screwed up on my launch.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Nice friendly competition! If my girlfriend's RAV4 hung with my WRX until 4th gear I'd be angry. I guess not, it would just be time for a new round of mods! :D

Glad to hear you've converted another GM-head to the Suby-way! :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
aaronwillen said:
how much hp/tq does one of those make stock? i never knew those cars were fast
The standard TA or z28 should be about 315-325 HP and torque. Now the SS or the Firehawk will be about 345 of each stock! But they probably weigh about 3300 to 3400lbs!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Despite the manufactures ratings, all of the LS1's (be they in a F-body or a Vette) put down around 300-rwhp. That is about 350-hp at the crank. Depending on the range of drivers, they are good for low to high 13's around 104-mph to 108-mph. Some have even seen high 12's bone stock (very rare).

You didn't know they were fast? Have you ever looked in a magazine to get a rough idea?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, the Trans am is faster. He didn't start to pull on me hard 'til I shifted into 4th

Kira:

A short run? If you were coming out of third wouldn't you be going close to 100 mph?? I think my third gear winds out at about 95 mph or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts