Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is getting a WRX soon, and we say we are going to race. What are your opinions on it? I'm pretty sure the rex will kill off the line, but what do you think about the top end?

Comments?

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had an 89 with all the bolt on stuff. I'm pretty sure he'll beat you easily unless you're heavily modded. Don't even bother from a dead stop.

Rob

·
Registered
228 Posts
hmmm ya.. honestly you probly dont stand a chance.

www.car-stats.com if you dont know what your car is running go there and at least get a base time. Select the year of your car along with the make and model (SHO obvisouly).

I dont know what kind of SHO you have, but i dont even know if you could keep up with him in a top end run ???

·
Registered
129 Posts
SHO..

right, going home one day i had one behind me on the express way and he wanted to play. he could never get around me....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I figured he should probably take me. But we will see going to try a 0-60 run (I stand NO chance:D ) and a 60-120. Thanks for the replies, sometimes I just like to see what other people think about cars they don't own. As for me I love the WRX, don't get me wrong there.

Oh yeah, the car-stats.com is basically a load of crap IMO. A lot of thier times can be way deceiving.

later

·
Registered
129 Posts
SHO

you should beat him, that car was 220HP stock...our car is rated at 227HP stock plus you add AWD to that and i bet with a good launch you should have him by a car length at the start. like i said before, i had one behind me on the expressway and he stand behind me until he gave up because he did not have enough to get around me, traffic was light so thats no excuse and we were both rolling and he came up on me fast and tried to go around me but i dropped it into fourth when started and like i said that was it never could pass me....you should have him...:)

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
SHO said:
Thanks for the replies. I figured he should probably take me. But we will see going to try a 0-60 run (I stand NO chance:D ) and a 60-120. Thanks for the replies, sometimes I just like to see what other people think about cars they don't own. As for me I love the WRX, don't get me wrong there.

Oh yeah, the car-stats.com is basically a load of crap IMO. A lot of thier times can be way deceiving.

later
From their chart:

The 1989, 1992, & 1997 times are pretty accurate, The other years are not. In 1993, it can't be that slow yet. In 1994 an automatic transmission was added in an attempt to boost sales. In 1996 with the redesign and the 3.4L V8 (230 bhp) and automatic only, Car & Driver called it the Taurus SLO since the Duratec V6 was just as fast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey i checked out the ford SHO on car stats.com why would that beat the rex the SHO a 99 was 15.4 on a 1/4 mile and on the rex it was 14.1? just curious
peace

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hey SVT who said that the SHO would actually beat the WRX? I ddin't see that n e where?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Re: SHO

wrxracer said:
you should beat him, that car was 220HP stock...our car is rated at 227HP stock plus you add AWD to that and i bet with a good launch you should have him by a car length at the start.
Good launch:confused: almost impossible unless you are a very expirienced driver (with a SHO). It is a front wheel drive and it has too much torque, and you can either bog it totally, or spin the tires to shreds. I am by no means good at launching this car.

Edit: I have a `91 and on carstats.com the numbers are way too high for the 1991's. I know for a fact the 90's & 91's were not any faster/ slower then a `92. That's just why i don't really trust carstats too much.

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Never raced a SHO, but had many run ins with SVT Contour. They are fast, but probably not enough to take you out. Top end on the car is ver good, just make sure you stay in 4th gear for as long as you can...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Suparu said:
Never raced a SHO, but had many run ins with SVT Contour. They are fast, but probably not enough to take you out. Top end on the car is ver good, just make sure you stay in 4th gear for as long as you can...
Ive ran a modified SVT 'Tour in my gagt.

I beat him 4 out of 4 times. They ARE very nice at top end i agree. But low end up to 90mph i had him. Who knows beyond that we ran out of road each time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: SHO race..

wrxracer said:
so, have you raced yet? if so what happened? let us know the details...:)
Not yet, he has to sell his dirtbike before he has the dn payment. Anyone looking for a Kawasaki KX250???

·
Registered
41 Posts
carstats.com is a good site i believe, of course the stats aren't going to be perfect b/c the driver and road conditions and weather. i've read many reports of the wrx for example and some mags say it runs the 1/4 14.5 seconds. and in some a 13.8!! i think if one is to look at carstats.com one should think that there's a spectrum of error.. i'd say about a half second

---umm nothing to say right here, RaCinWRX

·
Registered
228 Posts
JJB Autowerks said:
2 things..

1. You'll loose b/c I beat a SHO and I have a RSX-S

I hope you dont mean you beat a WRX? Well ya you did mentioning it in your other post.. but race some one who knows how to shift one.. and it will be another story

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey guys, lets stop the magazine racing and base this on actual events.

·
Registered
2 Posts
black99gt said:

I hope you dont mean you beat a WRX? Well ya you did mentioning it in your other post.. but race some one who knows how to shift one.. and it will be another story

No no no, I was saying the SHO will loose to the WRX b/c I've beaten a SHO and I have a RSX-S, and the WRX will beat the RSX-S, unless it's the WRX owner i raced, then who knows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts