ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if im the only person who has this problem but i hate tailgaters, i mean to me it is one of the most anoying things another driver could do.
for instance yesterday im on my way to work driving through westford(next town over from me) and i go through an intersection only to have some guy in a really old really ****ty accord wagon pull up to literally about 6-7 ft from my back bumper and start following me. now its not like im in city traffic where its normal for someone to follow closely, im on a long road with many houses on both sides that is heavily traveld cuase it leads to a ramp for 495. the speed limit on this road is 30 and im doing 35 which is plenty fast. so after giving him more than enough time to slow down and back off i do what i usually do when someone is tailgating me that close, i drop my speed to 10 under the speed limit, im not trying to cuase an accident so obvioulsy i dont just jack on my brakes, with him following that close he'd definitly hit me, but i slow down fast enough to get the point across. i usually do this untill the tailgater decides to back off and once they do i speed back up to 5-10 over the limit. well this person backed off after about 1 mile so i speed back up.
now this is where they really pissed me off, i speed up to about 35-38 still in the 30 mph and now approaching the onramp/ offramp area for 495 and they are just as close and i mean 6-7 ft away going that fast is skecthy so i figured they didnt get the point before, so i come to a complete stop before the onramp and waved on every person in the other lane that was trying to cross over and get on the highway just to delay this ******* a little more needless to say he was honking his horn the entire time throwing his hands in the air etc...
after that he got on the highway going in the other direction and i continued to work. of course, im sure he assumes he did nothing wrong and was quite pissed off that i was driving so slow. but maybe if he hadnt tailgated me he could have gotten where he wanted to go a little quicker......:wiggles:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah, tailgating really pisses me off. I'll go the speed limit or a bit over, but if they're really so close as to I can't see their headlights, I downshift, and keep doing so until they decide to pass me. Then I gun it. It's not the best thing to do, and I've pretty much all but stopped doing it, but some people should learn some goddamn manners.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I HATE tailgaters, its just really annoying. Sometimes i flash my brakes ALOT, and get them scared

but if u really want to get them...

Always keep a helment, (racing kind) in ur car, if ts two lanes let him get right next to you and just stare him down...rev ur engine and speed away....they will think ur crazy;)

:confused1

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have seen "other" people use their E-brakes when driving other, less scratchable, vehicles than the WRX. Using the E-brake means no brake lights and usually means they bump you. Of course they rear-ended you so what can they do about it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
we all hate tailgaters but some of you probably tailgate as well. I dont :confused1 but I know alot of people who get so mad at tailgaters and then when I am passenger in their car they tailgate :rolleyes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
lol, I love tailgaters.

I move over a lane and let them catch up, then stare at them, downshift and burn them, and merge back into the lane and start driving at normal speed again. It's called showing them who their daddy is :)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
When they're bad enough, I just pick up a cell phone, let them by, dial *HP and give out the info on the tailgater and let the HP know I'm willing to make a statement. I usually reserve calling for when they will NOT back off no matter what, follow me around and generally also try to run me off the road. Of course, it's satisfying to see the trooper's lights on and the guy getting owned.

RN

·
Registered
773 Posts
I try not to gate. But here in Washington State.......home of the "I drive in the left hand lane and pass no one" I tend to get pissed. Sometimes i wish i had a abundance of cash and a piece of sh1t car. A couple nascar like bumps would get their attention.

·
Registered
246 Posts
renichms said:
When they're bad enough, I just pick up a cell phone, let them by, dial *HP and give out the info on the tailgater and let the HP know I'm willing to make a statement. I usually reserve calling for when they will NOT back off no matter what, follow me around and generally also try to run me off the road. Of course, it's satisfying to see the trooper's lights on and the guy getting owned.

RN

Wow, Renichms, you can actually do that? Is the number the same throughout America? Cause police owning them would be a lot funner than burning rubber on them!

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I usually rest my left foot very very lightly on the brake pedal when someone is tailgating. The brake light goes on, they brake, but I keep going....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got this cool thingy installed at the dealer that flashed the 3rd brake light when you press the brakes. It's such a crackup to see people nosediving and swerving around me when I hit the brakes. I guess they think I'm pumping the brakes in a panic stop and they get all crazy. :wiggles:

As long as they aren't behind me, that's fine.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
verc said:
Wow, Renichms, you can actually do that? Is the number the same throughout America? Cause police owning them would be a lot funner than burning rubber on them!
Yes, you can do that. The signs up say it's for reporting DUI and other highway emergencies. Personally, I consider someone knowingly tailgating and trying to run me off the road as much an emergency as a DUI.

I don't know if the number works in every state, but I imagine it would or would be similar.

RN

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
wow, what timing this thread has. Well sorry to hijack but while driving home from work yesterday a punky local in an old cavalier wouldn't let me merge onto the highway and sped up to cut me off. Well there was a one car length opening and went in. Everything fine until the guy behind sped up and almost hit me at 65 mph. He was a foot off of my bumper cause I looked behind out of the window and could see the facial hairs on this guy. He threw his hands up and I guess tried calling me out. Told me to pull over or something with hand signals. Called my friend who i was suppose to meet any way to meet me at our usual hangout. Well the punk followed me to the area. But when I pulled up to my friend and he stepped out, the guy took one look and kept on driving. All hard when he was driving, now all pussied out when he sees someone bigger than him. These guys deserve to die. He would've hit me at 65 and I would've spun out on the highway and probably died. Tailgaters should be fined or something. You could call that road rage or something, right?:mad:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Some jacka** was tailgating me when I was doing about 40 in a 35 near my college. I didn't speed up, just flashed my brake lights to let him know he was too close.

He then proceeded to do did what any smart person would do, and attempted to pass me on the right shoulder. He must not have realized that I am crazy, because as he went to make his move on the right, I quickly jerked the wheel to the right which scared the hell out of him and he swerved right off the side of the road.

Now, I would have chuckled if he had flipped over, but that would have been bad. Instead, he was frantically sliding all over the grass, and slowed to a near stop before crawling back onto the road.

I bet he won't be trying that again...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey blk04wgn, I'm in that area too! I always get tailgated, and I have an RS, it sucks because I can't speed up and lose them. Most of the time because I live near a crappy podunk town, I usually get trucks tailgating me thinking that I have a WRX. I've actually had someone scream at me, "Yo, that WRX ain't sh*t!". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Its funny all you guys are saying that you are pissed off by people doing that when probably you do it youeslf. I would. I am shure it happens somone is in the left lane going 60 in a 55 and you want to move and you are locked in i am shure alot of you will tailgate that car untill he moves to the right lane. Admit it.

But what realy pisses me off is when somone uses you for cover Like somtimes i wanna move like 90 mph and another guy gets on youre tail and uses u as a cover. That really pisses me off :mad: and the more you go to 100 he will go 100 with you and if you change lanes he will also change lanes with you.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I never tailgate because I hate when others do it to me, I usually follow about 2-3 car lengths because I have a habit of not paying attention until the last second.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts