WRX or STI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
something else forever
3,838 Posts
lol thread got killed cuzz someone made a mistake/typo

On a "side note" I heard the STI might be going CVT in the future... so that might open up some different decisions for people potentially in the market...

·
Registered
165 Posts
lol thread got killed cuzz someone made a mistake/typo

On a "side note" I heard the STI might be going CVT in the future... so that might open up some different decisions for people potentially in the market...
Really? Hey that might possibly change my mine in 3 or 4 years when I am looking again. However they really need to make the CVT function without making the car difficult to drive. I would go manual but my commute would be even more challenging.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm looking to buy a 2018 WRX and I'm unsure if I should go for the WRX or the STI. The car will mainly be used as a daily driver but I like modding cars so I'm trying to find what would be the best daily driver while offering good performance and modability. I'm also trying to find out if the performance the STI offers is worth the extra $$$. Comment down below what you think would be a good choice given the circumstances. Also if you know of any places to get aftermarket parts for them leave it down below.
Concerning the WRX choice:

I drove, as a daily driver, a 2016 WRX Limited CVT for 3 years. I put around 60k miles on it and bought the car new. I loved the car. It managed good gas millage, getting around 28 average mpg and I got the oil changed every 5k miles using synthetic with the proper specs.
As a daily driver it did well enough in bad weather, despite me using all seasons. The problems as a daily driver: Cabin Noise, feeling every bump in the road to the point of hurting, and the CVT – Its garbage. My wife refused to drive it.
However, I was able to figure out how to drive it is S Sharp mode and that allowed me to merge better and get to work having some fun. Overall, I loved the car.. good in snow/bad weather, great gas mileage, and fun to drive.
However after 3 years and warranty running out. The ride feeling took its toll on me. If I was younger it likely would not have.

WRX Sti: If your planning to daily drive and do some mods. Bad choice for a daily driver. Going to be even harder to get used to the ride quality.
My Advice: Go with a low miles Wrx. Don’t mod the car. Enjoy it. Get winter tires lol… and separate wheels.

·
Master linguitist
10,105 Posts
Concerning the WRX choice:

I drove, as a daily driver, a 2016 WRX Limited CVT for 3 years. I put around 60k miles on it and bought the car new. I loved the car. It managed good gas millage, getting around 28 average mpg and I got the oil changed every 5k miles using synthetic with the proper specs.
As a daily driver it did well enough in bad weather, despite me using all seasons. The problems as a daily driver: Cabin Noise, feeling every bump in the road to the point of hurting, and the CVT – Its garbage. My wife refused to drive it.
However, I was able to figure out how to drive it is S Sharp mode and that allowed me to merge better and get to work having some fun. Overall, I loved the car.. good in snow/bad weather, great gas mileage, and fun to drive.
However after 3 years and warranty running out. The ride feeling took its toll on me. If I was younger it likely would not have.

WRX Sti: If your planning to daily drive and do some mods. Bad choice for a daily driver. Going to be even harder to get used to the ride quality.
My Advice: Go with a low miles Wrx. Don’t mod the car. Enjoy it. Get winter tires lol… and separate wheels.
The STI makes a fine daily driver. Not as good as a Corolla or Camry however it does well.

It has great torque in vacuum, LSD that will help with winter driving and a mechanical center diff that you can adjust to deliver ideal power distribution.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,327 Posts
This is all true! The STi has gotten impressively better over the years (early cars were marginal at best as daily drivers) and is now a fine road car in its own right, and won't embarrass the owner like earlier cars might.

OTOH the Camry is probably the finest saloon car for sale in the USA at this point. It feels better assembled than any Subaru I've tried, the 2GR series V6 with variable intake and exhaust valve timing is smooth and makes over 220kW, and even though the spats and pseudo-vents all around the body are initially worrisome the whole car looks elegant from any angle -- something I cannot say for many Subaru efforts...

If you don't need AWD don't buy a Subaru at this point IMO.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts