ClubWRX Forum banner

WRX or STI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
OOOUUCCHH! I have been averaging a strong 13.5 - 14.0 MPG while during break-in. One of my dogs is going to have to get a job to support my gas habit.
I've been doing 20-21 during my break in and I'm being very easy with the throttle and keeping RPMs under 4k. Should mileage go up significantly after break in?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been doing 20-21 during my break in and I'm being very easy with the throttle and keeping RPMs under 4k. Should mileage go up significantly after break in?
The computer tells me I get on average 17 for my STI.

I have an STI. I like it. I also don't like it at times. I think overall I would have probably been happier with a CVT WRX, but would have always had the 6spd in the back of my head as what I should have gotten. I'm not sure the WRX is really much softer/more livable than the STI. I think the engine is less peaky in the WRX which helps, maybe a little more compliant on the suspension.

If you have nice roads, and room to stretch, the STI is a nice package, it feels more special than a WRX. Lots of around town, stop and go, it gets old.

·
Registered
161 Posts
OOOUUCCHH! I have been averaging a strong 13.5 - 14.0 MPG while during break-in. One of my dogs is going to have to get a job to support my gas habit.

My mileage is possibly a little less due to the fact that my car puts out nearly 400 more horsepower and actually 400 more pound feet of torque than a WRX. Even with the 10 speed automatic, gas mileage will never be anything else other horrible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve been asking myself the same question of WRX or STI. I have a ‘16 WRX base that I’m leasing and I’m very unsure what I’ll do next.
On the one hand I want an STI, I want that “supposedly” sharper tool and the ability to track it no problem.
On the other hand I could get a premium with the performance package for atleast $3-4K less. Plus I already have a summer/winter wheel set up and an access port, I’d be able to switch those right over to the new car. At the very least I’m sure my 17” winters wouldn’t fit on an STI so there’s something I’ll have to sell and then buy a new set.

Practicality tells me what to do but I feel your pain on making that choice.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You guys now have me looking over my Fuelly. I averaged 26.6 with a best of 30.6 in my '16 WRX. One tank was 29.81 mpg and got 434 miles. Lowest was 16.75 mpg... January and probably 100% city. The next lowest is 22.12 mpg, so that was a rare occurrence.

As for the poll, I'd go WRX.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'm looking to buy a 2018 WRX and I'm unsure if I should go for the WRX or the STI. The car will mainly be used as a daily driver but I like modding cars so I'm trying to find what would be the best daily driver while offering good performance and modability. I'm also trying to find out if the performance the STI offers is worth the extra $$$. Comment down below what you think would be a good choice given the circumstances. Also if you know of any places to get aftermarket parts for them leave it down below.
Make sure you get a quote from me before you buy or we are both gonna lose money! I voted WRX btw based on your needs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with a 2018 WRX because I wanted the auto for daily driving. Plus, the WRX offers affordable full time all wheel drive in a car. Previously I had a very low mileage 2012 4Runner Trail Edition and I HATED shifting back and forth between 2wd and 4wd when I needed it in the winter. It was also terribly slow to accelerate up to speed. Couple in never ending axle wrap thunks, suspension (KDSS) issues, sunroof issues, musty HVAC smell, rear camera issues, brake rotor issues, wheel balance issues etc and it just wasn't any fun to drive as a daily driver. I sold it to my friend for a good price before I started having to sink thousands into it for repairs that should not have been needed yet.

Rob

·
Registered
228 Posts
I went with a 2018 WRX because I wanted the auto for daily driving. Plus, the WRX offers affordable full time all wheel drive in a car. Previously I had a very low mileage 2012 4Runner Trail Edition and I HATED shifting back and forth between 2wd and 4wd when I needed it in the winter. It was also terribly slow to accelerate up to speed. Couple in never ending axle wrap thunks, suspension (KDSS) issues, sunroof issues, musty HVAC smell, rear camera issues, brake rotor issues, wheel balance issues etc and it just wasn't any fun to drive as a daily driver. I sold it to my friend for a good price before I started having to sink thousands into it for repairs that should not have been needed yet.

Rob
I take it you don't like this "friend"

·
something else forever
3,838 Posts

Rob
imo if you get a CVT WRX then a Golf R w/ DSG or even a GTI w/ DSG is a better option - i drove a 2016 WRX w/ a 6-speed and CVT / idk how people can enjoy the CVT / it's so much slower it's not even funny - not judging though, just saying doe

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
imo if you get a CVT WRX then a Golf R w/ DSG or even a GTI w/ DSG is a better option - i drove a 2016 WRX w/ a 6-speed and CVT / idk how people can enjoy the CVT / it's so much slower it's not even funny - not judging though, just saying doe

Mark
The CVT is a mixed bag to be honest. Even in sport mode, if you are too slow on the gas it's quick to shift into a lower rpm ratio which will then take several seconds to respond to more gas. At this point, a 'downshift' from the paddle is the best way to get going quicker. If you find the sweet spot on the gas pedal, you can accelerate quickly while keeping rpm constant around 3700-3800. The CVT, at least on my car will not go above 4000rpm in sport or intelligent modes (I haven't tried s# much yet). Once it hits 4000, it 'shifts' once, then barely a second later it shifts again, dropping the rpm lower and killing the torque in the process. But, maybe this is all by design since S# requires the CVT to warm up before it can use even that mode.

Rob

·
Registered
94 Posts
The STI makes no sense to me, because for the same money you can have a V-8 car with more power and far greater fuel economy. Granted, an STI is going to be better at the track than a mustang or challenger. STI only makes sense if you are going to the track a lot. The mpg #'s I am seeing here for STI's are horrendous, in my opinion. In my wrx, I drive 5 min in town to get to the highway, then 25 min on the highway. By the time I get to work, I can usually get ~33mpg, in warmer months. Far less in winter months (Maine). Fuel economy was one of the deal breakers for me with regards to the STI.

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
The sti does far better on fuel than most v8 cars, It’s better year round, and it tracks better than most of them in its price range if not all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The STI makes no sense to me, because for the same money you can have a V-8 car with more power and far greater fuel economy. Granted, an STI is going to be better at the track than a mustang or challenger. STI only makes sense if you are going to the track a lot. The mpg #'s I am seeing here for STI's are horrendous, in my opinion. In my wrx, I drive 5 min in town to get to the highway, then 25 min on the highway. By the time I get to work, I can usually get ~33mpg, in warmer months. Far less in winter months (Maine). Fuel economy was one of the deal breakers for me with regards to the STI.
Different strokes for different folks. If you have a decent commute where MPG matter, the WRX definitely has a leg up even in the best of conditions for the STI.

I disagree on the V8 cars, at least in my experience. I went from a 2012 Mustang GT V8 to the STI, both stock. The Mustang did slightly better if you were doing straight all highway driving. However, on the average tank I had the STI beat it by 2 MPG. Granted we're talking the difference between 16 and 18, but despite the good MPG ratings on the V8s, in the real world it wasn't delivering.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is not uncommon for V-8 cars to get 27-29 mpg. My Z28 could consistently, and it was an automatic. 6speed versions could get 30.

·
Super Modulator
19,457 Posts
That’s very uncommon.
I do remember the f-body -- particularly the WS6 -- was geared for the highway and could get upper 20s in the MPG when cruising at 50 mph or so.

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
There are 2 I know of that can do it consistently and anywhere but Iowa. The current Camaro and corvette will see 25 or better.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,137 Posts
I have a relatively heavy foot and I average 19.5 (on the system calculator) in my 6-spd Gen 6 Camaro SS and 25-ish on hwy long trips. I don't care enough to calculate any of it manually.
It's really not terribly different mileage from my 2015 STi.

The automatics have the are factory rating of 31 hwy because they have cylinder deactivation when cruising.

As far as the STi making sense, value (as in all things always) is purely subjective. The STi has a very particular set of skills and if those are valuable enough to you as an individual, then it is a great choice. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
The STI makes no sense to me, because for the same money you can have a V-8 car with more power and far greater fuel economy. Granted, an STI is going to be better at the track than a mustang or challenger.
There are other domestic V8 choices that perform far beyond the STI, either at the track or the strip. These can be configured to cost less than a STI.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That’s very uncommon.
I don't think that I owned any of the Gen4 F-Bodies that returned much more that 21-22MPG under the very best conditions. That included 1 - LT1 and 2-LS1 versions. All were 6 speed manual cars. Any around town driving, typically yielded 14-15MPG.

I am actually getting about 14-15MPG with my LT4 versus 12-13 with the LT1 in my daily commuting (ugly traffic each way for the entire 6 miles / 12 miles round trip). I have returned 24MPG in a road trip all the way to Montana in the LT1. I returned 22MPG in a day trip to Mobile in the LT4.

On the track, the LT1 returned 6.5-8.5MPG. The LT4 returned 4.5-6.1MPG.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts