ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im new to this site and to Subaru. I currently have a RX8 and i wanna switch over to either a sti or wrx. I wanna go brand new 2011 or 2012. If money wasnt an option what is the better car. Obviously the sti but why? Are those reasons worth the extra 10k? finally what is faster 0 to 60 and also 0 to 100? The reason i ask those 3 questions is because i do wanna by one, i dont want to really mod other than getting a blow off valve, bigger waste gate, better inter-cooler, and exhaust than have it properly tuned. this car will be my DD 365 of the year, i need it reliable and i wanna still be able to beat all the honda civic fags haha even tho i can already but u get my point. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
This argument has been beat to death by myself.. I wont get into it again...

The STi is worth the extra 10,000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya dude but why explane please.... Why does the sti make a better daily driver than the wrx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay one question. Between a 2012 wrx and 2012 sti. What can get to 60 quicker. That between them both what car can get you to 100 quicker?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Actual person driving the STi is going to get to 60 quicker than a wrx. On paper the wrx is faster 0-60 however this is real life and we all like our transmissions to much to launch a 5 speed. The 6 speed is built for nothing but pure fun.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Having the 6 speed transmission is worth the extra money in my opinion plus the big brakes and xenon head lights just top off the advantages to the STI.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You need to take the BOV off your mod list...

If you have the money, get the STI. Much better car.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
tfal25 said:
Why, whats wrong with the bov
An atmospheric valve is not a performance upgrade on MAF-based vehicles.

Recirculating (or bypass) valves are common upgrades for the '08+ cars when the OE valve starts leaking, which is more common than previous MYs.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
i dont want to really mod other than getting a blow off valve, bigger waste gate, better inter-cooler, and exhaust than have it properly tuned.
Well, first off, those are some serious modifications. You will likely kiss your warranty goodbye, just FYI.

What exactly do you mean by "bigger wastegate"? The waste gate is sized to the turbo. You can't just bolt a new one on... :screwy:

Also, a new intercooler won't help much unless you upgrade the turbo, even with a tune.

Your best bet is a downpipe and catback exhaust, then a proper tune, like you said. That will bring you to Stage II, and I think you'll be pleased. Once at that power level, assess other aspects of the car. Shifter bushings are cheap and are always recommended (on both STI and WRX), to improve shifting feel. Also look at subframe bushings as well. Read the first modification threads on here, and research like crazy.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Rambo said:
Also, a new intercooler won't help much unless you upgrade the turbo, even with a tune.
I disagree. With proper tuning, 10-20whp should be obtainable using a quality aftermarket I/C, as well as a wider powerband and better response.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I disagree. With proper tuning, 10-20whp should be obtainable using a quality aftermarket I/C, as well as a wider powerband and better response.
Would you consider the cost of that (say ~$900 for something like the Process West) worthwhile right at the start, as opposed to a more traditional starting mod path (turboback exhaust, etc)?

Would you recommend that alongside traditional Stage II parts (then a tune for everything, of course)?

Also, you are considering just a larger top mount, correct?

I wasn't trying to say it would hurt anything, it just isn't a common "first mod", to my knowledge. More info is always good, though!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Rambo said:
Would you consider the cost of that (say ~$900 for something like the Process West) worthwhile right at the start, as opposed to a more traditional starting mod path (turboback exhaust, etc)?
No, you still have the restriction of the two catalysts. In his first post, he mentioned getting an exhaust and properly tuned.

Rambo said:
Would you recommend that alongside traditional Stage II parts (then a tune for everything, of course)?
If you can swing it and are planning on a custom tune, absolutely. Even more so with the '08+ cars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got done test driving a $38k 2012 STI to compare it against my slightly modified 2010 WRX (CB Exhuast, BC Coilovers, Poly Bushings everywhere, STI short Shifter, Perrin Lighten Pulley, Perrin Inlet, synthetic in Engine/Trans/Diffs). After a 20 minute jaunt around town and a 5 mile freeway ride I can say that the $10k difference is not worth it unless maybe you're a rally racer. The STI had no more pull than my WRX, could not corner any better, and the steerging felt more numb - probabaly because all my components are poly versus rubber. The STI did win on brakes though, but something I can fix with a $1,700 big brake upgrad on my WRX. I was serious about buying a STI, but with payment of $600 per month versus $400 per month not worth it IMO. If the STI had say 350HP/350TQ, slightly taller gears, and improved the steering because the current STI is vague then maybe it would be worth the additional $10k.

IMO - Buy the 2012 WRX for $26k, then dump about $3k in the engine (DP, CB, CAI, Inner Cooler, Tune) giving you 300hp/300tq AT THE WHEELS, spend about $2.5k on suspension with new coilovers, braces, swaybars, endlinks and poly bushings, and then another $2k on 18x8.5 light racing wheels running 235/40/18 summer performance tires and then add another $2k on a big brake (4 Piston) brake upgrade. You will still have $500 left over to purchsase short shifter, change out all the drivetrain and shifting linkages to poly versus stock rubber. Then you will have a car that would DESTROY the STI!

If you're willing to spend $38k on a $17k Impreza then why not invest another $7k and buy the BMW 335i which is way, way better car than the STI!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
If you're willing to spend $38k on a $17k Impreza then why not invest another $7k and buy the BMW 335i which is way, way better car than the STI!
Hmm, I come from a BMW family (parents own two), and the standard RWD bimmers are almost dangerous in snow. They'll manage ok on flat surfaces, but as soon as you hit a hill, you'll be sliding. This was proven many, many times despite our best driving efforts. I can't vouch for the "xi" cars, as I've never driven one, but while I could afford a 330i vs. my WRX, I needed surefooted handling in very bad weather, and the WRX and STI both excel at that. The STI is not marketed against the BMW, they are very different cars with traditionally different market segments, although it seems those segments are merging somewhat in recent years.

Not to mention, my WRX is a breeze to work on, the BMWs were not. There are trade offs to any car, but the WRX suited my needs best.

Not everyone buys a car for the same reasons you do. Broad statements like yours do no one any favors, and just lead to angry posts and locked threads.

Be nice. :(

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,219 Posts
Because it is unlikely to run.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Not everyone buys a car for the same reasons you do. Broad statements like yours do no one any favors, and just lead to angry posts and locked threads.
Be nice. :(
Did I miss something? I didn't see anything mean about his post...perhaps an over-generalized opinion, but hey, we're all full of those. :)

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Eh, maybe I read it wrong. Wasn't really outrightly mean, but posts like that seem to blow up from time to time. Maybe not. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts