Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and new to Subarus.I'm thinking about purchasing a WRX or STi fairly soon (after I pay my property taxes).

Okay so my question is... What is the difference between WRX's engine and that of the STi? and is it more economical to purchase a used WRX throw in the 6 speed, swap out the gears, and throw in a bigger turbo/ engine internals or is it worth getting the STi right from the get go? Basically what separates them performance wise? I'm looking to make a street legal beast that can still go up to the snow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
is it more economical to purchase a used WRX throw in the 6 speed, swap out the gears, and throw in a bigger turbo/ engine internals or is it worth getting the STi right from the get go?
Thanks in advance!
I think you just named the differences in your question!?!?!?! IMO, go with an STI, but then again, it depends on what you want to build and what your goals are. Also, you need to consider how much you are willing to spend.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums and new to Subarus.I'm thinking about purchasing a WRX or STi fairly soon (after I pay my property taxes).

Okay so my question is... What is the difference between WRX's engine and that of the STi? and is it more economical to purchase a used WRX throw in the 6 speed, swap out the gears, and throw in a bigger turbo/ engine internals or is it worth getting the STi right from the get go? Basically what separates them performance wise? I'm looking to make a street legal beast that can still go up to the snow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
#1 Your SN concerns me a great deal...

#2 It is NOT more economical to "make an STi" out of a WRX. If your goal is STi performance, then it is best to just buy the STi to begin with. Plus you still have a warranty if you buy the STi from dealer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
#1 Your SN concerns me a great deal...

#2 It is NOT more economical to "make an STi" out of a WRX. If your goal is STi performance, then it is best to just buy the STi to begin with. Plus you still have a warranty if you buy the STi from dealer.
That honestly sums it up as well as anything. If you can afford both and performance is your concern, there really isn't a good reason to go with the WRX. This board (and others) are full of people who bought a WRX and are now trying to do their best to match the performance of an STi, but none really succeed. Most of them did this because they couldn't afford the initial cost/insurance of the STi. The STi is a fantastic package and one that's very hard to emulate through modification of a car that starts out inferior. Besides, all of the mods you can do to a WRX you can do to an STi and then you're talking about a very serious machine indeed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess what i'm asking is what is different in the two motors? I mean they are both 2.5-liter DOHC intercooled boxer engines. The STi is obviously running more boost.

I'm looking to buy used and rebuild using premium internals to maximize boost. There's about $10K price difference between the two. I'm not looking for a glamorous interior or exterior just a street legal warrior.

Please keep the opinions and suggestions coming... I am new to the whole tuner car thing... I'm used to mustangs where the true difference is the sohc vs the dohc.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you're looking at getting a WRX you should look into going with an older WRX with the EJ20 motor. In my honest opinion the extra weight up front is a big disadvantage, and there are plenty of people who once they rebuild there 2.0 can be make just as much if not more power than the 2.5L Now I know for sure there are going to be a million people who think this thinking is just rediculous, but honestly the less weight you can have up front the easier it will be to get the car to handle the way you want because your weight will be more evenly distributed. Also somethign to think on is that in Japan they still use a 2.0L version in there STI. The only reason we get the bigger motor is because Americans always assume bigger is better.... Just something to think about.

Please don't all freak out at once on this post its just my opinion. I'm not saying the 2.5 isn't an amazing motor that can't make lots of power.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
I guess what i'm asking is what is different in the two motors? I mean they are both 2.5-liter DOHC intercooled boxer engines. The STi is obviously running more boost.

I'm looking to buy used and rebuild using premium internals to maximize boost. There's about $10K price difference between the two. I'm not looking for a glamorous interior or exterior just a street legal warrior.

Please keep the opinions and suggestions coming... I am new to the whole tuner car thing... I'm used to mustangs where the true difference is the sohc vs the dohc.

Thanks again guys!
Not all years of USDM models have 2.5l in the WRXs. Additionally there are other differences in different years on the same models.(08 STi not quite the same as 04 STi)

The STi uses a semi closed deck the WRX an open deck.
I believe the heads/compression and inter-cooler are different.

Are you not concerned with the better brakes, suspension, DCCD, Dual AVCS, etc...?

FYI: I don't mean to sound negative but... The questions about making a WRX into an STi on the cheap, have been asked a million times before. Many have tried to do what you are asking. Many end up disappointed.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
It costs closer to 25 grand to make a WRX into an STI

·
Registered
344 Posts
if you spend 25K (in mods) on a wrx it will with out a doubt out perform the STI, and if you're not going to be happy with the STI stock you mine as well get a cheaper base if you're going to replace most of the parts anyway.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
There really is no reason to get a WRX over an STI except price. The WRX is a great car, but the Sti is ALOT better in many ways. If you can afford an STi do it, if you cant the WRX is a great car, but you will grow envious of its big brother.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
if you spend 25K (in mods) on a wrx it will with out a doubt out perform the STI
I think he means converting everything(interior, exterior, drivetrain, ext.) to STi.

But yeas a wrx with 25k will crush alot of things, STi would be low on that list.

·
5,780 Posts
you will grow envious of its big brother.

I know i have, When i got my WRX i never imagined it would make me lust for something else but it has.

i also think i have decided to keep my bugeye stock and save for a couple years then get an STI, instead of wasting my time modding a WRX that is just losing value with every mod.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think people just need to understand where they should put there mods so there cars don't go down in value but instead go up. You can upgrade your struts and springs along with your sway bars and end links giving you amazing handling. After that consider ppg gears in your lighter gear box along with re-building the rest of the drive-line. Then after that you can easily make 350hp with out going crazy on the motor and now you have a car that can take a beating and it didn't cost you an arm and a leg.

·
5,780 Posts
I think people just need to understand where they should put there mods so there cars don't go down in value but instead go up. You can upgrade your struts and springs along with your sway bars and end links giving you amazing handling. After that consider ppg gears in your lighter gear box along with re-building the rest of the drive-line. Then after that you can easily make 350hp with out going crazy on the motor and now you have a car that can take a beating and it didn't cost you an arm and a leg.
ppgs + mods to get to 350hp = 8-9 grand. i could have gotten an STI for that price difference.

in fact i could sell my wagon for 12-13k and put 9 grand into a 22 grand 04-05 STI. then i would have DCCD avcs and a much better transmission for my light duty driving.

·
Registered
344 Posts
yes you could of got an STI for that price but you won't be able to beat that wrx with that STI unless you want to put more money into the STI. because you have a lighter motor and a lighter tranny +50 more hp gives you a huge advantage. I guess i'm just a weight guy.

·
5,780 Posts
yes you could of got an STI for that price but you won't be able to beat that wrx with that STI unless you want to put more money into the STI
I dont want to beat anybody ;) i just want reliable fun car to drive that never gives me headaches.

again my use is different than others.

I am a weight guy as well and a huge 2.0l fan, but they dont sell ej207s in our STIs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
what part of that wrx becomes unreliable once you fix the tranny with ppg gears?

·
5,780 Posts
what part of that wrx becomes unreliable once you fix the tranny with ppg gears?
its the tune and mods i would worry about not the ppgs:thumbup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I guess its just me but everytime I've modded my cars they seem to get more reliable not less. People just need to do more research and really take a great deal of care when installing there parts.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.