• STI

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im looking to purchase a 2015 or newer wrx. I plan on modding it after driving it stock for a few months. I want to squeeze as much power out of it(tune, upgrade turbo, brakes, suspension, etc) As possible without sacrificing its daily drivability. I plan on putting a lot of miles on it on a daily basis but want it track worthy. Should i buy a wrx and mod it or an sti and mod it?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The STi is reliable and track worthy from the start, as long as you take care of it. I drive my 2018 STi daily and I love it. But, I'm not modded and I don't race it. Once modded you can throw the reliability out the door, as well as any chance at getting your engine warrantied.

The WRX will need work to make it a better hot lapping car. Brakes and suspension could be improved. The transmission isn't as up to the task. It will be a more comfortable daily driver.

I think you should make your decision after you drive both of them. If I cared about racing I would get really sticky tires, more aggressive brake pads, and a driver mod. Warranty. Capability. Ability.

I'm assuming you're talking about circuit track racing and not drag racing. If you're referring to drag racing you need to be looking at a different car all together.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I daily drive a 2018 WRX. One of the main reasons that I bought it instead of the STI was the mpg difference. I average 26-31 mpg. Not sure if that is important to you.

2 things about my WRX - 1. Even though I live in MN, it came with summer tires. 2. The stock tune is horrible, makes it hard to drive.

The regular WRX isn't super fast. It is a fun car, that still get good mpg.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you are looking to modify the car to make it faster, why not just buy a faster car to begin with? There are plenty of pretty fast stock cars that can be had for WRX / STI prices that come with warranties that cover track use. You can buy a CPO Mustang, Camaro, MB AMG, Audi S3 / S4 that will have a manufacturer's warranty that covers track use. Mostly this will be for HPDE events. There may be track preparation (fluid changes, etc.) to keep the warranty valid. I'll just add that being a track rat is a rather expensive hobby. If tracking is to be a focus, I would consider a Spec Miata or Spec E36 BMW. There are always several of these that are already track prepped and for sale. These are less expensive to operate, too.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
Spec Miata all day. The MX-5 is a brilliant car in any iteration.

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts

·
29,128 Posts
Sorry, what’s “NC?” I’m running on empty mentally today.

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
The 3rd generation MX-5

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
29,128 Posts
Oh! Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have two friends that run spec Miatas. Brakes are ~$125 for 4 rotors. Pads are about the same. Tires are cheap, too. One of them has a 2015 Z28 and he tracks that on occasion. For what one or two track events in the Z28 costs, he can campaign the Miata for a whole year.

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts
tbh (since you gotta ask) I would say the WRX is probably the better choice for you :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts