ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post on clubwrx.net This place has a wealth of information and many intelligent people on here. So first and foremost, thanks for all of the great insight here. Getting down to business...
I am in the market for my first WRX STI. I have been looking at them for about 7 months now. I originally compared about 6 different cars and models and have narrowed my choice down to the subbies. I have all of the speicifcations of the cars in question. I am looking to spend no more than 21,000. I am currently in college and will be graduating in 2 years. I'm in the military and hoping to post somewhere cold so I love the subbies for their AWD. I'm looking to buy a used car, unmodded preferably, with as low miles as possible. I'm 22 and lovethe thrill of the road. I've drove a BMW 323 for a while and am looking into my subbie. A couple q's...
1. First, Having looked around on autotrader, subaru forums, and ebay, when it really comes down to it, is STI really worth that extra couple thousand dollars? Yes I know more horsepower, balance, I have the specs but from car owners on here. What are your opinions? Is their a noticeable difference in the STI vs the WRX?
2. Second, in terms of durability, I've read enough to see, or at least see that most people say the trannies go out around 70,000 miles. As for buying a used car, preferably unmodded of course, what other areas of the car can you expect to need replacement, newer parts etc from 70,000 miles and down?
3. What is bugeye?
4. What is a bump?
5. Is it realistic to use this car for everyday use throughout all seasons of the year especially winter? Driving in mountains, hills, and city also. This would be my only car for a while due to financial situations so I'm also looking for versatility which I feel this car brings with it.
6. Any other considerations I should be aware of?

If there's a question in here that has been addressed somewhere else already I apologize, I didn't see it or come across it. Any insight, opinions, questions for me and good discussions are preferred. Thank you.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
1. Yes the suspension, transmission (thats the big thing) etc make it worth it. You could not build and identical handling and performing wrx for the same amount of money. There is a big difference but the WRX is fine too and it all depends on how much you value performance.
2. A lot of that (especially the transmission) depends on how the car is taken car of and how hard its driven. If you go stage 4 and launch it constantly things are going to break sooner, if you don't mod (or mod lightly) and drive normally it will last a very long time. Subarus are pretty reliable.
3. A bug eye is an 02-03 wrx (has round "bugeye" headligts)
4. Not sure in what context but people often say "bump" on here to get threads to the top of the new posts list.
5. Yes it has awd with the right tires it can handle any weather pretty well and work reliably.
6. If money is really an issue keep in mind that the WRX is neither cheap to insure or fuel compared to other compact cars.

This has all been covered before and searching and reading up would be good but I'll help you out this time. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
From reading more posts about WRX vs STI, I could use some advice. It seems the extra performance, handling, and suspension of the STI make it worth the extra money. Trying to upgrade a WRX to a STI would cost more than just buying the STI to start with correct? So, for someone like me, who will probably never go to the streets or tracks to race the STI against other people, would the WRX be fine? I defnitely love pushing my bmw on the road and winter time is a blast. Should I save myself the 5K and get the WRX? What about putting in a Cobb Stage 2 into a WRX. Reading into that, it seems like a viable option many people have done and are considering to try and match STI power. Any thoughts on helping me to narrow down my choice?
If I purchase the STI I know I would not mod it but the WRX is definitely viable and with the extra money saved from not buying the STI, well theres some nice cash for some mods. From what a lot of people have said, they buy the WRX and regret not spendning the extra money for the STI. Also, comparing WRXs from 02-05, the 2.0L makes a big difference but what about the 2006 WRX with a 2.5L. How comparable is the STI now from the WRX? Thoughts???

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Again its all a question of priorities. I hardly ever drive my car a golf car or daihatsu would fill my needs just as well because I never race or anything. However I greatly enjoy driving an want a performance car. The WRX is a good car and will work great, however if you can afford an STi its the better way to go. If I was planning on spending a decent amount of mod money on the WRX and can afford an STi I'd rather get an STi and leave it stock. My .02.

No one can tell you what to do its really up to you as either of these cars has more performance than is necessary for just the daily grind driving stuff.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Food for thought

I bought a WRX first, and now own an STI. The WRX was and is perfect in most driving situations, its taut, comfortable, pretty good mileage for a turbo car with AWD and you have excellent performance compared to anything on the road. The big thing is their trannies, they are notorious for not lasting long. But that could be and usually is an abusive driver. I had no such problems. the ones with 2.5L are a lot stronger.

For college, a wrx is a good fit. For one, I'm willing to bet you don't have a secured garage to put this thing in. An STI is a cop magnet, thief magnet, insurance is absurd, even if you have a clean record. poor mileage, mine is pushing 340hp modded lightly, and I get upwards of 230 miles to the quarter tank, or 23 MPG freeway. Filling up all the time gets old and Everyone that doesn't own a subie thinks your an ******* when you could be the nicest person in the world. My experience. most Subie owners are very nice.

I bought the STi because I was having problems with the WRX, mostly with a poor dealer not doing their checkups so I traded it in and for a few grand more got the STi. Because I wanted a track car, and because the car is utterly vulgar and absurd.

Now, the STi is a bonified rally car. Big horsepower, stout engine and transmission. The 6th speed is lovely. awesome suspension, but has its issues like rear clunk. And they don't come with Sound insulation so its loud in the cabin, The suspension is very taut and can be rough on the lady in the passenger seat. She will prob not ride with you on a leisurely drive, mine doesn't, she follows me in her 240sx.

I would have been perfectly content with a WRX, when I ride in in my buddies, I lust for a softer suspension like his. Its tolerable. And more enjoyable, sure I don't have the awesome acceleration or cornering agility, puts its close. But if I had the choice, I would consider going back.

To get right down to it. The WRX is a fine car good enough for most people. the STI is if you feel you need to flaunt your junk and know you can destroy most things on the road. And you want a well rounded race car. An Evo is another choice.

What ever you choose, an 05 or later I recommend. Mainly for the interior and wider rear wheel wells, so you can put larger tires in. The 2.0L are good, but their trannies are weakly built. The 2.5L is more robust but that may be out of your price range.

You say you have around 21K, I paid 18K for my 04 WRX, paid 23K w/ 100K warranty for my STI.

its up to you, my $.02 after owning both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts