Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this has been subject to quite a few threads, where there is a debate on whether its "rice" to throw STI badges all over a regular WRX. i think i have come up on a theory as to why a lot of people do not find it to be appealing.

Granted, STI is a division of subaru that modifies certain vehicles at the factory to increase performance. and that is the argument of WRXers toting STI badges is that they are promoting the tuning division of Subaru. However, the reason that myself, as well as others finds this practice disturbing, is the same reason that pretty much anybody would find an obviously base model V6 mustang with Saleen badges all over it disturbing. Or a regular focus with SVT badges on. Those of us in the know may understand that these are actual companies, and not just trim levels, but those who aren't aware think there seein the real thing. not that it matters what others think of your own ride...but i think it creates a bad image for the genuine STIs and SVTs out there. now TRD (toyota racing development) is a slightly different story. There are not TRD modeled cars out there, so the name is viewed as more of a division of toyota then an actual car. IMO if you want to promote Subaru's tuning lineup, do so with a label covering the hood, or some other attractive body art. That would be less RICE then a lil STI emblem on the corner of the trunk that looks like its supposed to be a factory STI, until it gets it @ss handed to it by some new accord coupe or some neon with an intake and some "SRT-4 Type S" badge on the trunk.

·
Registered
21 Posts
very valid point, but waht if somebody has STi parts on their car, i.e. tranny, short shifter, exhaust, TMIC....? I don't think they should badge it like a real STi, but i think they have the right to put STi stickers on their vehicle...although SPT stickers seem to make a little more sense, they do not give the same effect. But yes, if you put STi stickers on you car and get your a$$ handed to you by an accord, you deserve to die! jk, that's a little harsh, but somebody should at least have a talk with you and tell you what's up. Anyways, anybody who really knows anything about subaru will know when an STi is a real STi.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh totally. if you have STI parts then by all means, advertise. Thats why TRD is respected...since for the most part, the stickers actually mean the vehicle is modded at least a lil bit by Toyota. What spurred this thread was a silver WRX that is driven by some guy that works at a gas station by my house. he has like 2-3 references to STi on is totally stock otherwise WRX. i giggled, and then got to thinkin. this isnt as bad as the worst thing i've ever seen in my entire life though. i was drivin my bike down Priest (for you locals) and i saw this smallish SUV driving with escallade badging on the tailgate. then i pulled up on the side of him...and he had some gold trim kit and some decent rims. after about 60 seconds, i realized... :mad: IT WAS AN EXPLORER!! :mad: ugh i had to pull over to the side of the road and upchuck a few times to get the discust out about how...i cant even think of a word to describe it. first i said ghetto...but i dont think residents of Compton would stupp that low. then i thought jealous...but that wasnt strong enough either *shrug*

·
Registered
555 Posts
shouldn't pretend to be something you're not...that's generally viewed negatively.

before the Sti actually came to the US, putting the sti badge on a wrx was seen as ornamental or representing sti components...which was cool, I guess, but now that the Sti is here, sti badges just look fake unless it's an actual Sti.

my opinion...people can do what they want with their cars.

Hg.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
you wont see me badging velveeta as a sti. but then again its yellow. I'm kinda mixed about this. Its true you sholdnt have svt badges on a non svt ford, or gt badges on a v6. I personally wouldnt do it, but its obviously nothing comparing putting a GTR badge on a ford or honda. Or type R on things that there isnt even a USDM type R of...

·
Registered
70 Posts
yep, If you aren't trying to fool anyone, you are okay.

I think the STi stickers on the sides of the door look really good though. But, if you slap those puupies on there, DON'T put the trunk or grill badge on. The trunk and grill badge, just look "too OEM" and people are easily fooled. I guess it is a case of picking the one you like best and put one on.

of course, if you have transplanted the drivetrain to be STi, then by all means go for it, because technically, you have an STi.

It just all depends on how you do it.

if you take off the stock WRX badge on the left side of the trunk and put the STi badge there, it shouldn't be a problem. however, I wouldn't do it.

I can't count how many times those honda and acura boys have asked if my car is an STi......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I'm gonna take the middle ground here and say it's not "rice" per se, but there's something kind of tacky about it. There's a WRX in DC (Dupont Circle for locals) WRB 02 sedan, nice looking car - except for the STi badges IMHO. Granted, I'm probably the only one around who knows what it represents in this part of the world, but it rubs me the wrong way.

Just can't imagine someone badging their C320 "AMG."

Speaking of which, what is the word for Rice in German?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I've got an STi grill, and the STi stays on...simply because it's a genuine STi part and I want to show it off as one :D

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I agree with most of you hat the grill and truck badge are over the tope if you have a WRX. Unless like thrdeye said if you have an STi power/drivetrain the go ahead and call it an STi, although im not a fan of that either. The sleeper effect would be cool. Thats a whole different debate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well i think that just about settles it then. if you have STi parts=not so bad, if you don't=you're a tool. but there's really nothing we can do about it. I don't think many people on this forum are really doing it, oh well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What are your opinions on the STI fog light covers? with the Grille STI logo, and the Solid STI fog light covers by themselves?

Comming from the Honda/Acura World where every thing was "TYPE R" I am very leary about even putting on the STI grille and Fog light covers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Family Guy said:
What are your opinions on the STI fog light covers? with the Grille STI logo, and the Solid STI fog light covers by themselves?

Comming from the Honda/Acura World where every thing was "TYPE R" I am very leary about even putting on the STI grille and Fog light covers.
if you like the way it looks, go for it. It's not quite like taking a type R badge and slapping it on the back of an '88 CRX DX.

·
Registered
499 Posts
How about the opposite direction? I wanna go with a FMIC sometime, ditch the hood scoop and put TX wagon badges on the car :D

Nahhh...its just a NA wagon, yer gonna kill me in a race. ;)

·
Registered
983 Posts
I agree with both sides. I would put the side decals on my car if I were sporting STi stuff, but I don't think putting the plastic STi badges on would be necessary. I whole-heartedly support supporting tuning divisions such as STi or Mazdaspeed, who make parts AND cars to put them on, or that come with them already installed.
To sum up...decals=good, emblems=not-so-good.
my $.02
mike

P.S...
"Speaking of which, what is the word for Rice in German?"

It's "reis"...:)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The way I see it, if Subaru thinks its ok to put a STI label on the WRX because it has a STI part then thats all the authentication I need. Ever notice the STI badge next to the shifter if you have a STI short throw shifter. Other WRX's who don't have that short throw shifter don't have that badge. Granted its small and goes pretty much unseen, its still there, and there from the factory. So basiclly since Subaru thinks its ok to do it, I do to, simple as that. Also not to mention I got a couple thousand dollars worth of STI parts on my car, with two white stickers that say STI on the fog light covers, used to have the door decals as well but I like a clean look, but maybe one day I will put them back on, depends on my mood :) I like to show that I support STI.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im leary about the whole thing in general. i was thinkin about gettin the STI foglight mesh covers, but i could just see it now. pullin up to a light at ASU, and havin a group of jocks at the corner see my car and yell out "thats a phat sti man, how much hp do those have??" and me having to respond "its not an sti, and im runnin like 230hp" and havin them scream out "poser!!!!!" as i drive away. thats not a good vision to have. i totally agree with thrdeye on that though. if the drivetrain is transplanted, then its completly legit, cause you can back up the name. hell, if you have enough sti parts on it to pretty much get you the same or more hp then an sti, then its still legit. just make sure you have something to back it up with, because as i said before, sti holds the same image that svt does, and we dont wanna ruin that image by turning it into rice. i think we've pretty much come to a consensus here it seems :D

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Definitely you know rice when you see it. If those guys are asking you about your car and they're like, Yo is that an STi, you say, "yeah, these fog lights are."
I was talking all this crap about not liking badging when I realized my shift knob says STi. Subtle, but I'm as guilty as the next guy.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
I had an STi badge on the back for a while right after I got the car. At that point there wasn't a USDM STi, and nobody knew when or if it would happen. I was really just celebrating Subaru's performance heritage; 99% of people who saw it had no idea what "STi" meant.

When I finally saw my first USDM STi on the road, I went home and removed the badge. No sense being a poser. Like Verdugo, I have an STi grill, and the badge stays there. It's an authentic STi part, and it just seems like it belongs there.:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Snict there are TRD branded cars, the TRD Tacoma... And they are not hard to come by. Their performance department is awsome, any factory car manufacture that makes super charger kits for almost all of their cars in my book is awsome.

Just wish Subaru was as into a performance line in North America as Toyota is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts