Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got an predictions on a race between 03 wrx 5spd sedan vs a 92 stealth rt TT 5spd?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo 5.7 14.2
That'll be pretty tough for a bone stock WRX to beat. However one has to remember the Stealth is 11 model years old! Depends on the condition of the stealth I figure.

If it's a race from a roll you'll have a hard time against a twin-turbo 3.0l V6!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i looked up the specs and the stealth is like 14.5 1/4 and i read the wrx is 14.1.. granted we both arent great drivers and all. It should be close. Plus there is 99k miles on the stealth..

·
Registered
511 Posts
are they like the VR-4s? do they have the wonderous AWD? if not, then take him from a stop and then try your luck at a roll...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes the Stealth turbo models also have AWD like the VR4.

14.5 in the 1/4 that you found isn't too accurate. Before any mods on my Stealth, which is a 91, and had 95k on it at the time, ran [email protected]

Just because it has alot of miles, and is "11 model years old", doesn't mean it's a dog.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i was just wondering cause we're both friends and wanted to see how we would do. I know its a tt and all, but 13.6? Thats pretty quick for that car, i dont think the vr4's ran that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Be careful using the 5.4 to 60 and 14.1 in the 1/4 as a reference for the WRX to compare with other cars. Most of us can't get those numbers using our stock WRXs (some can though). Mid to high 14's are probably more realistic for the average WRX. Secondly, the trap speed for most cars running 14.1 (non AWD) will be much higher than a WRX can manage, so if you raced a car that runs 14.1 on a roll you would probably lose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh, well im happy with the car plus the performance options are great . i came from a 91 supra NA auto.. the rex is much quicker than the supe. although i love the supra.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I beat co-worker's 5sp Stealth RT (non turbo w/ 220hp) in a roll around 30 mph in 2nd gear. I pulled away from him like he was standing still. In order for 03 WRX to stand a chance, MBC and turboback exhaust seem to be a must... IMO.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A 3KGT/Stealth TT should beat down a stock WRX from a roll easily. I had a 91 VR4 and that thing had long legs.

However, they are tough to launch without demonstrating a remarkable lack of mechanical empathy. 3800lbs is a lotta car to get moving from a stop.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My Friend has a TT stealth.. He has a borla exhaust system, Turboxs Blowoff valve (stock valve is plastic and cant hold pressure too good), and a turboxs boost controller.. Anyways We both went to the track and ran the same et's 3 times in a row..!!
13.4 , 13.2, then 13.01.... its was very wierd. Off the line I got 1.5 car lenghts then that V6 catches up quick.
my car at the time wasnt modified too much...

Godspeed uppipe
Godspeed Downer
Txs MBC
Apexi W/S Exhaust....
-------------------------------

now I have
-------------------------------
Godspeed uppipe
Godspeed Downer
Txs MBC
Apexi W/S Exhaust
*Unichip
*Vf-30
*Blitz Bov
*K&n Drop IN

we didnt get to run because the tracks closed in november. We are in Michigan... But I Guarentee im in the 12's now... My car ran outta gas at the end of 3rd-into-4th... now my powerband is sick all the way through the middle of 5th.

all i gotta get now is..

Top or Front Mount Intercooler
Sti Injectors
Fuel Pump
Remap the Chip...

another 1500 bones or so =):D

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You went 13.01 with these mods:
Godspeed uppipe
Godspeed Downer
Txs MBC
Apexi W/S Exhaust....

? :eek: ?

Damn, I suck. :D

Good runs, Man!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hello all - new board member here.

A Stealth will run about a 12.90 on cheap mods before its fuel system becomes a handicap. By getting injectors (about $430 for 550s from RC Engineering or $50 for used 450s from a DSM owner) and an Apexi SAFC you will start seeing mid 12s at about 107-108. The other stuff is a K&N, downpipe ($300), MBC, rewire fuel pump with 10 gauge.

Launching my 4035lb car (with me in it at 275 lbs) is quite easy, especially since I've driven nothing but DSMs since 1992. A quick slip from 4500 rpm will net 1.75-1.80 60ft's with regularity. A bit more practice nets some people consistant 1.60-1.65s. I usually manage 1.75s because all 4 tires are spinning.

My results? 7.86 @ 89 mph in the 1/8, or roughly 12.20 @ 112 in the 1/4. This is with everything in the car plus a 15 inch Kicker in the hatch :)

I have never raced a truly bone-stock car. I can promise you that the specs you find in magazines for 91-93 cars are all based on the pre-production cars. Most average drivers see 13.8-14.0 at 99-101 depending on the health of the car. My friend bought a 93 with 130k miles on it. We put on a K&N and MBC and it ran 13.2 @ 104 with no other mods. The only time older = slower is when the stock boost control system dies and it's stuck at 6psi. Many first time owners don't realize there is a problem until they ride in a properly-functioning car. 6 psi to the stock 9-12 psi (depending on year) is a good deal of power.

I may be a regular poster over here. I frequent several car boards that are fact-based and not a lot of BS. I think I'll like it over here :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
John -

Welcome to Scooby land. For the most part, it's pretty laid back here.

It sounds like you got the launch down pretty well on your car. I guess I just never got the hang of mine (91 3kGT VR4). However, I think I babied that car too much. ;) I do miss the top end. That thing was unbelievably quiet & smooth at >100mph. I'm keeping my eye out for a '99 that someone has to let go.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I forgot - pics, timeslip, video (vs Supra), etc at:

http://moojohn.com/stealth

This was from the GA 3S race day at Silver Dollar Raceway. There was a good turnout of WRXs that day too. I have more videos from the event but I haven't digitized them yet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the info john.

No i didn't race my friend yet. He doesn't even have his lisence, hes only 16. I'm 19 and just got my rex, but im really happy that he got that stealth cause he always wanted a 3kgt, so its pretty damn close. Only thing is i hope he careful with it and doesn't do anythin stupid.. 300 hp is a bit much for a begining driver.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I tried running with a VR-4 once and got my ass handed to me. Those things are quick.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
John,

Your '94 Stealth is just GORGEOUS and fast as heck! I can't believe the car is almost 10 model years old and looks newer/better kept than my '02 WRX! Wow.

Beautiful car and quick to boot - gotta love turbo/awd!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks! I bought it from a guy at Intel who kept it very clean. I learned from my 92 ( http://moojohn.com/stealth/wreck ) which was clean but need a lot of TLC to make it right. I knew on my next car to pick the best example I could find.

The pics on my site are from the first week I had it. I need to get some newer ones up. I have 4 slotted rotors arriving Monday along with EBC brake pads (red front, green back) to install at the same time.

Under the hood I'm installing Accel ignition coils (the stockers require an absurdly small gap with raised boost, about .028") and misc tuning in hopes of netting a 12.0 on stock turbos. That's stock cat-back, stock fuel pump too.

On one hand I'm trying to prove how far the stock components will go. On the other hand, I don't have the cash to go replacing everything anyway :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts