Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today was awesome. we have a ton of snow on the ground here (well not really but my town has like 2 snow plows and thats it). on the way to my work there is a long strait strip that is about 1/2 a mile long and is up hill the entire way. as i start i find that one of the snow plows is stuck trying to get up the hill and there are also a semi and some other cars, including some big 4x4's sitting behind the snow plow. i guess there were scared to move into the passing lane cause the snow was so deep. so im waiting and i just decide to go for it. so i pull over into the passing lane and drop it into 1st and jsut start passing everyone. i get to the top and slow down as i pass the snow plow and wave then i just simply go right past him like it was a everyday thing.

but needless to say after driving a explorer with the V8 for 4 years i was amazed with the WRX's traction in the snow. I actually think i feel more confident driving it then i did with the explorer.:D

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I like your title, clever. I unfortunetly have not had the chance to drive mine in snow because of living in houston. :(

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
WRX 1, Snow 0

Got stuck a few times here and there today, but not enough to stop this mad turbo machine from reaching it's destinations!
A guy in a HUGE jeep even followed me back to my house after seeing me get stuck in a over a foot of snow on the unplowed roads, and said to me "I didn't think you were going to make it!" and was totally imprez'd that the WRX even with summer tires on still ate it's way all the way home!

Summer tires suck!

~ Dan (Zapix)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i just have the stock rims and tires on right now. but they are much better then the Falken's that are on the 18's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
wrx 2 snow 0

Practicing pedulum turns in the parking lot :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I felt the same way. I feel much more in control of the WRX than I did in my Dakota 4x4. especially with the Blizzaks on the WRX I drove like normal even with the snow/ice covered roads. I even left early for work and had time to go and get McDonalds before the store opened.

·
Registered
51 Posts
WRX- 3 Snow- 0

I have been out several times in out recent storm. All of my friends and neighbors have been blown away by the ability of the WRX in the snow.

I was driving on a residential street today and there were a couple of local landscapers clearing snow in the subivision.

I had to go through some pretty deep and thick snow. One of the guys said something to the others and they all stopped to watch me. I could tell by the look on their faces that they totally expected me to get stuck.

That look turned to big grins and thumbs up when she hunkered down like bulldog and pulled right through.

I have a friend with Vehicross. I pulled into his driveway (which was unshoveled) and had to cross the "no-mans land" of deep snow left behind by the city plows. I was spinning tires and had to back up and go forward a few times but I made it in.

He had this big grin on his face and said "That thing is def. full time AWD, you were spitting snow off all corners." He got a digital pic of my coming in and I will try to post it when he emails it to me.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Heh, so far no snow has stopped me

Tonight I was actually sitting around, and my father caught the lights of a stuck car.

I decided to go out and help the person out. Some guy, Shawn who lives around here. Was driving a FWD Cadi. Myself, and a women who was driving a snow plow helped the guy get unstuck and she plowed our street finally!!! Friggin 8pm and the street finally gets plowed. That's rediculous! The poor guy was stuck in the area trying to get home for 4 hours. :(

He lives around here, and strangely, knew I was the driver of the Subaru WRX! :D
I mentioned I went out driving today without much trouble.

Hehe! He's going out tomorrow morning to sell his Cadi, and get something new! Not sure what, but I suggested a Subaru! He said something about a truck. Who knows though! Maybe there will be another WRX owner in the area!

Hehe, I almost starting totally cracking up with the women driving the plow saw it was FWD and said "Oh god... It's a FWD car." That's gotta say something!

~ Dan (Zapix)

WRX 1, Snow 0 <--- me

Cadi 0, Snow 1 <--- some unfortunate soul who realized something tonight!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
va_wrx, i had a simular situation actually. i had to get to the bank to make a transfer really early. right when i got there the plow was just starting to clean the parking lot. so i started and noticed that the guys in the plow were shaking there heads and laughing. so i just proceded to drive on up to the ATM. while i was there the plow came by and rolled the window down and the driver wanted to know why i would try to drive through the parking lot in "that little rice burner" (he was driving a big Chevy 4x4 :rolleyes: ) and that if i got stuck i was on my own. and i just laughed and said "do you know what kinda car this is?" ahhaha after that i just drove off without hardly even spinning. it was great~!~!!!!:D :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah they are crappy tire the only upside is that they have a treadlife of around 180 so they are destined for an early retirement.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yeah, definitely get snowtires! I got some Cooper ST2 Weathermaster's on the stock rims for cheap, like $95 apiece and they work great. :)

-snowcat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts