Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dunno if im juding to fast or what.. this is really off topic, but, i hear of LOts of cars beating WRX's...like MR2, supra's, RX-7's,lightweight hondas, just about everything..so someone tell me how good the WRX is. cuz im gettin the WRX in like a week, and i might withdrawl cuz of so many stories i hear about it...stock vs. stock it does pretty well and when its slightly modded and whatever it does ok but when u wanna roll uptop it seems this car goes nowhere...correct me if im wrong...cuz i wanted maybe like a westwings bodykit (open to suggestions) with like stage 4 TSX kit (open to suggestions, tell me if u have better setup idea for less $$$. Im not a total newbie, but im no expert so im welcome to your ideas)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
you will never own the fastest car... there is always something out there quicker. the WRX is a pretty damn fast car though, and practical at the same time. I think its a great combination for a car. If your only concern is speed though and being the absolute fastest thing out there it might not be the best option for you.
o-|-<) bryan
btw, you hear about it losing to all these cars, what about all the cars it beats, especially with a TXS Stage 4? (there are a ton of kill stories too)

·
980 Posts
When all the other fast cars are garaged for the cold season cause they 360 themselves into brick walls, youll be riding high over snow, rain, wet leaves, etc... Remember this is a turbocharged all-wheel-drive 4 door sedan with plenty of trunk space to boot that comes STANDARD. heh

The only thing I'd sell my new puppy for right now is a US STi when and if it hits american shores.

-c

·
Registered
294 Posts
fengshui said:
When all the other fast cars are garaged for the cold season cause they 360 themselves into brick walls, youll be riding high over snow, rain, wet leaves, etc... Remember this is a turbocharged all-wheel-drive 4 door sedan with plenty of trunk space to boot that comes STANDARD. heh

The only thing I'd sell my new puppy for right now is a US STi when and if it hits american shores.

-c
He is from FLA. Half of the WRX appeal is lost in that climate. As well the road are pretty flat and straight, and its pretty damn hot for a turbo car and a TMIC. Sounds to me like he might have bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
JTREX said:

He is from FLA. Half of the WRX appeal is lost in that climate. As well the road are pretty flat and straight, and its pretty damn hot for a turbo car and a TMIC. Sounds to me like he might have bought the wrong car.
on the contrary, turbo charged engines have an advantage over normally aspirated engines when it comes to performing in high heat/humidity. It is tough to argue the AWD vs Florida fact though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, I live in TX and I don't regret purchase at all (No, not the Panhandle, where it actually snows, but DFW). Even with the lack of snow (or maybe ONE snow day), there's still rain, mud, road debris, and all kinds of crazy people in SUV's cutting me off.

It's piece of mind, it's a helluva launch, it's fun as hell. But you know, a minivan can beat our cars. Yea, that one minivan that runs 12's or something. So, uh, don't get this car because the minivan will beat it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
What are your intentions? Stoplight racing?

I say get an early model civic, swap a GSR motor in it, turbo it or run NOS.

or

early 240, swap in an SR20DET. Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im sorry if you guys get a feeling that im dissing the WRX. dont get me wrong i love the car. I just wanna hear what the WRX is capable of...yes Florida is hot and humid but how will that really affect the car? the AWD still has a jump and the turbo still puts out boost? heat does give less traction or somthing like that but that goes for all cars...

Anyways, I dont own the WRX yet. I have 2 weeks to decied if i want one. Im leaning towards yes, but now all the sudden im getting some NO's in my mind...I've never really street raced my self because i dont have a car. So i really dont know how fast the other cars our there are besdies times and watching other races....

Well lets say i get a WRX, and I break it in. Lets say i wanna go to a street racing scene. MOst the cars there arnt stock, how would i make out? is a WRX a respectable competiter? and now lets say im no longer stock, should i got with stage 4 TSX if i could its like 4k or sumthing. is that the best option. i herd that stage 4 TSX gets the wrx running mid 12's and there arnt that many cars that run mid 12's...and if anyone has anything they would like to tell me about modding the WRX speak now. hmmm what eles is there for me to ramble on about...

·
Registered
242 Posts
What is your price limit? What other cars are you considering?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The WRX is fast, comfortable, fairly roomy, can go off-road, handles great, and gets decent fuel mileage.

AWD helps cornering in the dry as well as WET. It does rain in FL, doesn't it.

If you don't want one, don't get one. There's not a day that goes by when I get behind the wheel of my WRX and regret buying it. Hell, I just bought another one!!!!

-Jim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i really havent consider any other cars yet, my price range is around 25k...and im a 16yr old and you know how it is. so do u think this car is right for me, ive always like it. its just now that its comming down to the descion im starting to look at the cons of the wrx..if you stand with your WRX 100% and your da founder of clubwrx then i guess the WRX is a great car.. and how often do u come face to face with a car that can beat you? im just curious? I ask this because the competiion i have to look out for is a 93 TT supra w\ minor mods and its 6 speed..(turbo timer,boost gauge i think, i really dont know for sure shes a girl and her dad takes care of her car). and HB civic 92 CX model ill post the web addresss so you can see his car and all the mods. a couple of lighly modded INtgeras (no type R's) some civic with **** mods and maybe some with S-chargers(si's) S-10 trucks that are cake, i can beat them by foot. and celica's. and that about all i can rember

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
31 Posts
jester said:
Anyways, I dont own the WRX yet. I have 2 weeks to decied if i want one. Im leaning towards yes, but now all the sudden im getting some NO's in my mind...I've never really street raced my self because i dont have a car. So i really dont know how fast the other cars our there are besdies times and watching other races....

Well lets say i get a WRX, and I break it in. Lets say i wanna go to a street racing scene.
Whoa Nelly! You don't own a car now, and you're curious about street racing (FATF a few times?), and now wanna go.

Based on your posts it sounds like you need more experience in something that might not kill you as quickly. AWD can be VERY dangerous with a newbie driver or one that has not got the miles under his/her belt. AWD will stick like you wouldnt believe to the road, but what happens when you reach the edge at 100MPH and get snap oversteer from a large bump (don't say drifting...)? How to correct for that? How about understeering into a long sweeper at 130MPH? and when you correct you tap the brakes and get lift throttle oversteer? Just things to think about. The WRX is pretty damn fast (I come from M cars, Audi S4, and others). It will never keep up on those long flat roads in FL with a heavily modded Supra or RX7, nor any other top end car like a Porsche TT.

I do hope you've got half a bean in your head to take it easy. The WRX is plenty capable of giving you major pucker factor without worrying about guys that dump 10s of thousands of dollars (Supras, etc) into their rides.

Get the WRX and take it easy, it IS a safe car. If you learn the stock vehicle it's much faster than you think on the street. THEN mod it.

Anyways, if you happen to be the next Mario A. then help a brother out and learn me something. :)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
If you are 16 years old, you need to consider insurance costs!

The WRX is a 2.0L sedan. While the turbo increases insurance a little, I think you'll be surprised by how little it costs to insure!

-Jim

·
Registered
242 Posts
Florida may have long and flat roads but they are also riddled with traffic. Very rarely do I get a chance to open mine up.

Jester: Where are all these fast cars that want to race you? I have never run into any and I live near you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
scooby, these cars are at my HS..whs, its off bruce b. downs..this chick has a supra..and her dads races like mad he has a trans am with corvette eingine and double shot of 100 nos and a bunch of other mods..the civic is owned by my friend. and civic and **** that are S-charged and some sprayin..the gotta turbo Rabbit GTI its really goofy but respectable..i havent been in town for awhile cuz of vaccation(2months of it) but ill talk to my friends and tell you where some hot spots are if u wanna go out and challange a bunch of people just for fun, its all pretty friendly and nice ass cars..somewhere out like in gandy bridge i really cant rember.

and as of insureing i dont have to worry about. and my grandma owns and Subaru legacy and i drove it from tampa to Maimi...if n e body knows how long of a drive that is, ITS LONG. but i cant say i have much AWD experice at hight performacne speeds...and i worked for subaru in Montreal for a week. i have the subes mechanic uniform.hehe. but if you guys think the WRX isnt for me im all open to your ideas and opinions. how diffrent is AWD when you misjudge a turn and stuff, is it really that diffrent?? im open to all suggestion for what car i should check out. i steal my moms car at night all the time and ive raced my friends maxima(stick) and my Gf civc (stick)

so if u have ne suggestions..im all for performance, and i also like to have a car that looks nice..

·
Registered
278 Posts
jester,

Man, people on this board have some serious capital to burn! 16 yrs. old and you have 25 grand at your disposal? Right on, hope you use it wisely.

I just want to say this: I own a RSX-S and I have mad respect for the WRX. Stock for stock, IMO, you're not going to find a better performer for the money (notice I said "In my opinion!") Stock for stock, if you were to pull up to someone at a stoplight and you want to race, there's not too much out there that can take you. Sure, you'll get beat by a 'Vette, a Z28 and some Porsche's and other exotic cars, but you'll beat 99% of the **** out there...

That is, of course, unless you can't drive manny (or maybe you're getting an auto)...anyway, 0-60 in 5.4 and a 1/4 mile in 14.1 is pretty fukin' fast for a stock car. And its easy and cheap to modify from what I understand. BTW, if you have $25grand you're not going to get the top of the line wheels and some other options, which can bring you into the $30s so you might want to think about that.

But hey, so many people underestimate the WRX when they see it...doens't look like a rocket but it is...and its a dream in the twisties (rally car inspired)... can't go wrong with this car. But be careful - if this is your first car and your first experience w/ power, then you'd better get some time behind the wheel before you do anything crazy. I think most people on this board would agree that just like anything else, this stuff takes a lot of practice and its not just your life, its everyone else's out there on the road.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts