Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was driving back home from my cousins house at like 1am last friday night and as i merge onto the on ramp i notice a red roadster going about 100 in the HOV lane...well then i notice a black IS300 and a black Type R following...the roadster turns out to be an S2000 with two GORGEOUS ladies in it!...well as any upstanding 19 year old male i drop the scoob in 3rd and catch up to the hunies...they seemed to wanna have some fun and gunned it...needless to say i did the same...then the two cars behind us gunned it as well...all four of us formed a line across the freeway and the girls in the S2K slowed a bit and rolled down their window...they wanted to do a rolling start at around 20mph...i couldnt believe my luck!...what morons would want to do a rolling start with a S2K!...i of course agreed and the other cars followed suit...we slowed, they honked, and we all took off...i immediately jumped all of them by a car length...the S2K closed the gap slightly but then slowly faded back...the Type R was a better race than the S2K but it was in the rearview by the top of 3rd gear...the actual surprise was the IS300 which i beat at the start but then he started closing the gap and was right with me all the way to around 130-140MPH...now keep in mind my car is stock and all three of those cars had some mods (like exhaust, intake they were all LOUD!)...so i gave thumbs up all around, especially to the IS300 as he actually kept up with me...anyway it was a damn good drive home and it really made me glad i didnt buy a S2K:D

·
Registered
376 Posts
TexasRex said:
so i was driving back home from my cousins house at like 1am last friday night and as i merge onto the on ramp i notice a red roadster going about 100 in the HOV lane...well then i notice a black IS300 and a black Type R following...the roadster turns out to be an S2000 with two GORGEOUS ladies in it!...well as any upstanding 19 year old male i drop the scoob in 3rd and catch up to the hunies...they seemed to wanna have some fun and gunned it...needless to say i did the same...then the two cars behind us gunned it as well...all four of us formed a line across the freeway and the girls in the S2K slowed a bit and rolled down their window...they wanted to do a rolling start at around 20mph...i couldnt believe my luck!...what morons would want to do a rolling start with a S2K!...i of course agreed and the other cars followed suit...we slowed, they honked, and we all took off...i immediately jumped all of them by a car length...the S2K closed the gap slightly but then slowly faded back...the Type R was a better race than the S2K but it was in the rearview by the top of 3rd gear...the actual surprise was the IS300 which i beat at the start but then he started closing the gap and was right with me all the way to around 130-140MPH...now keep in mind my car is stock and all three of those cars had some mods (like exhaust, intake they were all LOUD!)...so i gave thumbs up all around, especially to the IS300 as he actually kept up with me...anyway it was a damn good drive home and it really made me glad i didnt buy a S2K:D
You bone stock and didn't get reeled in by the s2k? Those girls must be fat. J/K Good kill anyways...:confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: WRX Vs. Modded IS300, S2000, and Type R in 15 minutes!

BamBooI said:

You bone stock and didn't get reeled in by the s2k? Those girls must be fat. J/K Good kill anyways...:confused:
no the S2K wasnt that difficult to beat...people seem to assume they are much faster based on their looks but as they do have 240HP they dont have nearly the amount of torque a WRX has...i beat S2K's all the time and i know other WRX drivers who do the same especially on stoplight to stoplight races...on the highway its not quite as easy but nontheless is not a problem...the S2000 is a great car but WAYYY hyped...

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Re: Re: Re: WRX Vs. Modded IS300, S2000, and Type R in 15 minutes!

TexasRex said:

no the S2K wasnt that difficult to beat...people seem to assume they are much faster based on their looks but as they do have 240HP they dont have nearly the amount of torque a WRX has...i beat S2K's all the time and i know other WRX drivers who do the same especially on stoplight to stoplight races...on the highway its not quite as easy but nontheless is not a problem...the S2000 is a great car but WAYYY hyped...
ill agree with you on the way hyped, i was surprised when i saw the actual numbers they put down, one would think with the hp/weight ratio they have it would be a lot faster. still a mean lookin 2 seater. TexasRex, welcome it looks like youll be a good additon to the club just top talkin bout my girlfriend jk

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm not going to call BS on this story because I wasn't there...but typically, your statement that the S2K's are overhyped is dead-wrong. Stock v. stock, you will take them off the line but it will reel you in. Its 0-60 and 1/4 miles are almost identical, if not faster in some instances, than a stock WRX. You said you were stock right?

I'd say for every story of a WRX beating an S2K, there are just as many of S2K's beating WRX's. They are very evenly matched cars...It's purely a driver's race. So I believe you for sure, but be careful next time you run across one. If they have a more experienced driver, you might seriously underestimate it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem with the S2K is it should be driven very well to get the power out of it. I have driven alot of cars, but the S2K was the hardest to get off the line by far. U will need to fry the clutch to get a decent launch(around 5-6K Rpm dumbing). Some S2k's with bad drivers cant even break 15sec :rolleyes: and some did manage to get high 13's. Its just need a good driver to move the S2k. They have nice topend though especially when u take it to 9kRPM. They do trap between 99-101 stock which will help them from a roll alot against a stock Wrx.

·
Registered
221 Posts
LS is exactly right. The S2k's are good cars but really have to rape them to get the performance out of them. a 20mph roll is probably a terrible speed for an s2k unless they downshift to 1st they are horribly out of its power band, and by the time they get the rpm up to 8~9K the race is already over.

·
Registered
278 Posts
SobeWRX said:
LS is exactly right. The S2k's are good cars but really have to rape them to get the performance out of them. a 20mph roll is probably a terrible speed for an s2k unless they downshift to 1st they are horribly out of its power band, and by the time they get the rpm up to 8~9K the race is already over.
You might have to rape it to get power from a roll, but not from a start. That's a myth. People have this misconception that high-reving cars are harder to max out from a stand-still race. I think that's because so many people are so used to driving torque happy cars that have instantaneous power. You dump the clutch at 3.5K to 4K and you have the power. And ****, its not like trying to launch a '03 Cobra which I've heard is VERY DIFFICULT to max out...because of peeling out, etc... You don't have those issues w/ the S2K. Its just a myth...You don't have to be a better driver on the S2K than let's say a WRX to get max power...you have to be a good driver in general to get great launches out of any car.

Those guys with S2K's that are putting down 15s or whatever was quoted suck dick and would do the same on any car. Too many fools decide to spend upwards of $25K (in this case $30K) and learn how to drive stick on this particular car. It'd be like learning how to drive stick on an M3...no fun and very hard.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: WRX Vs. Modded IS300, S2000, and Type R in 15 minutes!

ebr0t said:

ill agree with you on the way hyped, i was surprised when i saw the actual numbers they put down, one would think with the hp/weight ratio they have it would be a lot faster. still a mean lookin 2 seater. TexasRex, welcome it looks like youll be a good additon to the club just top talkin bout my girlfriend jk
hahaha...thank for the welcome man...sorry bout my comments!:D

and ya i agree with all of the comments bout the S2K...but like i said i have beaten them before this race and have never really had a prob with them...also other WRX guys around here say the same...maybe no S2K driver in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area can drive??...haha...everytime i see them on the track they usually run high 14's or low to mid 15's...but damn they are pretty!

·
Registered
11 Posts
smokey said:

You dump the clutch at 3.5K to 4K and you have the power. And ****, its not like trying to launch a '03 Cobra which I've heard is VERY DIFFICULT to max out.......You don't have to be a better driver on the S2K than let's say a WRX to get max power.
I disagree with u. Any car that has more TQ will be hard to debug. On the other hand S2k is very easy to debug or spin if u didnt get the right RPM when launching. I used to own Acura CL-S with every mods u can put there. It was a low-mid 14's sec car at 97-98mph. Anyways i raced my friend in his S2K for like 12 times. When he used to get the launch right he used to get a full car from the start and just pull slowly. If he did debug i used to beat him by 2 cars by the end of 3rd. If he used to spin he used to get beat by 1 car by the end of 3rd gear. It has very nice top end since he always pull on me at the end of 3rd. But this is an example of S2k when driven good or bad. On the other hand with the 03 cobra u should worry more about spinning not debuging since spinning a little bit is way better than debuging with a car that cant recover soo fast due to the lack of TQ.

The WRX are way easier to launch than the S2k. since i drove both, i know. Just rev and drop the clutch and u will have a decent launch. U cant go wrong with AWD cars when launching at high RPMs.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just personal preference I guess. I just don't find HOnda's to be very difficult to drive or to milk out all their power. I have heard a ton of people complain that the S2K is tough to drive because it revs so high...sorry, but personally I just don't see that.

My point was that I think a lot of these cases you see are people that buy the car while having little to no experience on a manual transmission. Of course its going to be more difficult to drive than a car that has more power down low!

If you're a good driver, you'll figure it out. The same principle's apply - smash the gas and shift before you hit fuel cutoff. I think the main problem is people launch the car and bog it hard because they haven't mastered clutch control. If you launch an S2K at 1500 - 2500 I can see how you'd complain about having no available power. But that's the driver, not the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
smokey said:
Just personal preference I guess. I just don't find HOnda's to be very difficult to drive or to milk out all their power. I have heard a ton of people complain that the S2K is tough to drive because it revs so high...sorry, but personally I just don't see that.

My point was that I think a lot of these cases you see are people that buy the car while having little to no experience on a manual transmission. Of course its going to be more difficult to drive than a car that has more power down low!

If you're a good driver, you'll figure it out. The same principle's apply - smash the gas and shift before you hit fuel cutoff. I think the main problem is people launch the car and bog it hard because they haven't mastered clutch control. If you launch an S2K at 1500 - 2500 I can see how you'd complain about having no available power. But that's the driver, not the car.
I'm assuming u have mastered high mid to high 13's with a S2k that why ur saying its easy to drive ha? By the way its not a RSX type S since i have driven that too. As i said the launch with the S2k is hard but after u get rolling it doesnt take a rocket scientist to move the car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
LSs1Power said:

I'm assuming u have mastered high mid to high 13's with a S2k that why ur saying its easy to drive ha? By the way its not a RSX type S since i have driven that too. As i said the launch with the S2k is hard but after u get rolling it doesnt take a rocket scientist to move the car.
Take some time to read my posts. Did I say anything about mastering 13 second runs with an S2K? I was referring to the drivers who get 15s in the car since average drivers can pull mid to high 14s in the car...

Don't put words into my mouth...and your last statement couldn't have been more obvious. When you're going from a roll you might as well be driving an automatic unless you have issues with downshifting. And if you do, then you shouldn't have bought a manual.

·
Registered
221 Posts
smokey said:

You might have to rape it to get power from a roll, but not from a start. That's a myth. People have this misconception that high-reving cars are harder to max out from a stand-still race. I think that's because so many people are so used to driving torque happy cars that have instantaneous power. You dump the clutch at 3.5K to 4K and you have the power. And ****, its not like trying to launch a '03 Cobra which I've heard is VERY DIFFICULT to max out...because of peeling out, etc... You don't have those issues w/ the S2K. Its just a myth...You don't have to be a better driver on the S2K than let's say a WRX to get max power...you have to be a good driver in general to get great launches out of any car.

Those guys with S2K's that are putting down 15s or whatever was quoted suck dick and would do the same on any car. Too many fools decide to spend upwards of $25K (in this case $30K) and learn how to drive stick on this particular car. It'd be like learning how to drive stick on an M3...no fun and very hard.
don't put words in my mouth either.... I was making a blanket statement that you really have to rev the $hit out of an s2K to get the performance out of it. I think many of the average owners are a little hesitant to downshift to 8k rpms and wind it up till fuel cut.

·
Registered
11 Posts
smokey said:

Take some time to read my posts. Did I say anything about mastering 13 second runs with an S2K? I was referring to the drivers who get 15s in the car since average drivers can pull mid to high 14s in the car...

Don't put words into my mouth...and your last statement couldn't have been more obvious. When you're going from a roll you might as well be driving an automatic unless you have issues with downshifting. And if you do, then you shouldn't have bought a manual.

I didnt put words in your mouth, but when i see someone saying that S2K isnt hard to drive like everyone says and that the S2k drivers have to work more with their clutch and learn how to drive it, then i understand that u are very good with driving S2k's and u can run high 13's anytime u drive one. When u say to someone sorry, but u can drive, u shouldnt have bought a manual, u piss people off. I dont have a S2k, but i spoke to alot S2k owners and they all said the same. I didnt believe them until i drove the car and found out what they mean by killing ur clutch with these kind of cars to launch hard. Did i have problems driving the S2k? No, i didnt and i have beat a 01Mustang GT from zero to 100mph while the owner of the car couldnt do. Do i have problems driving a manual? No i dont have problems with that since i owned just one Tiptronic car in my life and all of them were manuals. I was just speaking from my own experince with S2k owners.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts