Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here you go!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It reminds me so much of my Z4...but with a better ride and some nice technological updates. There's a lot that's WRX-like, as well.

I test drove a 2015 hardtop, and didn't feel comfortable in it or enjoy the ride like I thought I would. The interior was dated, kind of PT Cruiser-ish.

The 2018 model is very sharp inside and out...still fairly minimalist without a lot of bells and whistles, but a lot of nice textures and ergonomics. The entertainment/info interface is very similar to the ones in current BMW's and easy to use once you get used to it.

Very comfortable interior, though the seats are a bit narrow. Thank goodness I'm kind of slack in the butt department.

The drive is pretty awesome. Smooth clutch and transmission ensure effortless acceleration--no jerking. The steering is precise with a bit more feel to it than the WRX. It doesn't feel quite as dead accurate as the WRX, and not quite as stable in the corners. Of course the WRX is faster, but that's mainly appreciated in the middle and upper speeds. The Miata accelerates quite briskly from a stop--at least 6 seconds if not less. I would not want to drive over 100 MPH in the Miata...just not its thing.

Also, great exhaust notes at startup.

The ride is less harsh and noisy than the WRX on uneven roads, but on some roads with corrugation or frequent seams there's a lot of jostling. Definitely better than my '03 Z4.

Driving with the top down is just a blast. You feel the same thrill of speed at 10-25 MPH less than in a sedan...in other words, 30 MPH in the Miata feels like 40 in the WRX, 60 like 75.

Last, but not least, the sound system is excellent. The Bose system creates an ambient sound space even with the top down and on the highway that is hard to believe. It is quite a bit better than the JL system in my WRX, which I thought was a really good system.

Anyway, I am enjoying the heck out of the Miata. If the lack of AWD, more than 2 seats, and a large backseat and trunk don't dissuade you, check it out. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In case you're wondering, I did trade in my WRX. I recently bought my fiancee's Fiat 500L and will probably be inheriting (again) my old Honda CRV, which my son is currently driving, for winter and sport duties. So all seasons taken care of.

I promise to look again at the WRX/STI with the redesign in 2020. I won't forget you, Subaru!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to keep both the WRX and Miata!
Yeah, believe me I feel bad especially now that it's winter and I could use the AWD with some HP...

I didn't want 2 significant car payments at the same time, so Rexxie had to go.

I would be thinking about getting another WRX or STI in a year or two, but for right now I'm jonesing for a Tacoma as my winter driver/utility vehicle. We'll see if that pans out...they are not super-cheap and unfortunately like the WRX hold their value in the used market, so I haven't had much luck finding a bargain out there yet.

BTW I sold some older BBS STI tires (silver) I was using as winters on Craigslist 2 weeks ago for $300. A guy responded the same day and drove 250 miles to pick them up. (Which makes me think I WAY underpriced them.) He has an '02 and '03 wagon and is building one for track use--said he gets 700 HP from it. Is that even possible? Anyway a WRX fanatic for sure.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Miata is still one of the classic sports cars. Nimble, power enough and an accuracy point and shoot driver's car. There is a reason why spec Miatas are kings of the track for budget minded track rats.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,331 Posts
Congrats!

I've been giving some thought to the Abarth with the Multiair engine. I think the export version available to the US will make 120kW and 250Nm. I heard it won't be as lively as the Mazda version but it's a tad bigger and my love of turbo Fiats goes back to the Uno Turbo i.e. (sigh... seems like yesterday...).

Did you dislike the Z4? It's another option I'd been contemplating, that's why I ask.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
2,422 Posts
Congrats!

I've been giving some thought to the Abarth with the Multiair engine. I think the export version available to the US will make 120kW and 250Nm. I heard it won't be as lively as the Mazda version but it's a tad bigger and my love of turbo Fiats goes back to the Uno Turbo i.e. (sigh... seems like yesterday...).

Did you dislike the Z4? It's another option I'd been contemplating, that's why I ask.
Better act soon. I’ve read the Fiat version will likely be discontinued very soon. There’s one in my neighborhood. Only one I’ve seen in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts